Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions about the DFLiquid tool in DFHack.  (Read 6757 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions about the DFLiquid tool in DFHack.
« on: June 26, 2010, 11:39:08 pm »

I tried doing a search, which came up with literally nothing, and I did read the readme on the thread for DFHack and still have some questions. I'm playing around with it a bit on the arena.

1. What does the flow bits only function do?

2. Is there any way to change the size of the block when you use a block cursor?

3. After you place some static liquid, how do you get it flowing again?

4. What exactly does the 'don't change flow state (read state in flow mode)' function mean? Also, whats flow mode?

5. The readme on the DFHack thread said that I can remove liquids using the DFLiquid tool, how do I do that? Besides turning it into obsidian.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about the DFLiquid tool in DFHack.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:39:19 am »

*bump*

Anybody know?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:45:13 pm »

I tried doing a search, which came up with literally nothing, and I did read the readme on the thread for DFHack and still have some questions. I'm playing around with it a bit on the arena.

1. What does the flow bits only function do?

Be advised that I have not used this tool; I am only looking at the source code, which I have not studied in detail.  Anything I say here may be totally wrong.

It looks like "flow bits only" makes dfliquid not place new water or magma on the map.  It makes it only affect the flow status of existing liquid.

2. Is there any way to change the size of the block when you use a block cursor?

It appears not.  It fills the entire 16x16 map block that the cursor is in.  It would be really cool to do it to the currently selected designation rectangle, but it looks like dfhack doesn't support that.

3. After you place some static liquid, how do you get it flowing again?

At a guess, position the cursor and use "dfliquids f f+ block".  Or "dfliquids f f+ point" to do one tile at a time.

4. What exactly does the 'don't change flow state (read state in flow mode)' function mean? Also, whats flow mode?

It seems to mean that the "f." option prints the value of both flow flags (flow bits) for each tile in the 16x16 map block the cursor is in, instead of forcing those flags to be true (flowing liquid) or false (standing liquid).

"flow mode" controls whether all the liquid on the map block under the cursor gets set to flowing liquid or standing liquid or unchanged from its current state.  The default is "f+" making it flowing liquid, which is probably what you always want.

5. The readme on the DFHack thread said that I can remove liquids using the DFLiquid tool, how do I do that? Besides turning it into obsidian.

Maybe by setting liquid amount to 0.  Try "dfliquids w 0 block".

Incidentally, you might experiment with the undocumented command line options "column", "starruby", and "darkhide".  Of course they might break your game, they must be undocumented for a reason.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 02:51:47 pm »

what 0x517A5D is more or less correct.

From the little use that I have with the program, the block setting seems to affect specific blocks, like it works in a grid instead of going off the center point of the cursor. I believe a 1x1 embark area is a 48x48 tile area, so if it places 16x16, you place blocks of 1/9th of that embark section.

Setting the liquid in question to zero and placing it that way, via block or point works very well. That's what I did.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 03:10:20 pm »

Oh yea, durr on the 0 liquid amount, dunno why I didn't think of that before. Thanks for the info though.

As for testing it out, it should be safe enough to test it in the arena as thats exactly what its meant for. Any other undocumented command lines?

Edit: I think those are undocumented because they just don't do anything. Column still puts down a tile of the liquid of choice while the other two don't work at all.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:15:15 pm by smjjames »