Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Suggestion: Time limits on players!  (Read 5464 times)

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Time limits on players!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 10:01:17 am »

IF my GF did that she would no longer be my GF.   Simple.   
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 11:05:43 am »

Try putting on a fake beard? A big one. Some kind of booze perfume/cologne might help, too. Maybe soak the beard in actual booze before putting it on.

--Edit--
No matter what, DO NOT use fake pointy ears as part of this setup. Unless they are hanging from a necklace or something.
/thread

Also, don't forget to cover all your furniture with images of your furniture covered with images of men taming giant eagles and shit.
fixd

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »

My partner downloaded DF several months ago and now when he plays it's like I don't exist. I feel like a World of Warcraft widow! I've tried repeatedly deleting his init/ directory, but he doesn't seem to get annoyed enough to stop playing. Any chance you could put a time limit on how long the game can be played at a time? Please? Kind of desperate here!
Make him play so much he gets sick of it.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:51:05 pm by eerr »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 06:04:55 pm »

My girlfriend gets this
We cannot have one hobby
People need many

We still love you
We will cuddle you later
But now we need Fun
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 06:27:29 pm »

DF is less addictive than Warcraft because in Warcraft you have buddies and social pressure from your guild. You can't pause a WoW raid, you can only leave and hurt your reputation.
DF is more like SimCity and The Sims, where you can always start a new fort/city/character, try doing things differently. DF and Sims can have user-made content, little tiny expansions of the game.

If your significant other wants some escapism, he could lose himself in fantasy novels too, 400 pages per day. I don't think threats or disruption will work.
DF is MORE addicting than Warcraft because Warcraft is boring as hell. I stopped playing after 15 minutes.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 06:56:15 pm »

DF is less addictive than Warcraft because in Warcraft you have buddies and social pressure from your guild. You can't pause a WoW raid, you can only leave and hurt your reputation.
DF is more like SimCity and The Sims, where you can always start a new fort/city/character, try doing things differently. DF and Sims can have user-made content, little tiny expansions of the game.

If your significant other wants some escapism, he could lose himself in fantasy novels too, 400 pages per day. I don't think threats or disruption will work.
DF is MORE addicting than Warcraft because Warcraft is boring as hell. I stopped playing after 15 minutes.
So you stopped playing it after you, what, did a single quest? Good job.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 07:01:10 pm »

I don't know about him, but I tend to spend 15 minutes just in Character Creation.

(Not in WoW, just in games in general... I've not sunk low enough for Warcrack)
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 02:46:20 am »

Warcraft is just crap
RPG? Pah! It is not.
Grind, grind, grind, grind, grind
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 02:57:20 am »

Warcraft is just crap
RPG? Pah! It is not.
Yes, just like every other MMO.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 03:20:58 am »

Warcraft is just crap
RPG? Pah! It is not.
Yes, just like every other MMO.

Exactly so, friend.
MMOs are the downfall
of decent gaming.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 06:42:10 am »

Pfft... just slow down his processor. DF is unplayable on a slow processor.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 10:40:33 am »

You know, being as the original poster only posted once (not even just once in this thread, once on this entire board), I think it's probable that he/she only set up an account to make that one statement, and hasn't been checking it at all, so this litany of responses to the original poster are likely wasted.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 01:27:56 pm »

No. I stopped playing after I got tired of reading "lol" and l33t-sp34k. Immersion is impossible with that kind of interference!

That, and the art was ugly.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 01:33:18 pm »

No. I stopped playing after I got tired of reading "lol" and l33t-sp34k. Immersion is impossible with that kind of interference!

That, and the art was ugly.

art
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 04:47:04 pm »

Last three posts removed due to flames/trolling
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4