Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Suggestion: Time limits on players!  (Read 5444 times)

The DF Widower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Time limits on players!
« on: June 25, 2010, 06:08:47 pm »

My partner downloaded DF several months ago and now when he plays it's like I don't exist. I feel like a World of Warcraft widow! I've tried repeatedly deleting his init/ directory, but he doesn't seem to get annoyed enough to stop playing. Any chance you could put a time limit on how long the game can be played at a time? Please? Kind of desperate here!

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Time limits on players!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »

No.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 06:51:39 pm »

Careful!

If you topple his workshop he may go berserk or melancholy!

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:10:47 pm »

I think the problem is that you assume your "partner" doesn't care about you any more simply because they're really into a certain hobby at the moment.
It's not that they're ignoring you, more that they're concentrating on something else.  If you feel this is bad, perhaps you should back off a bit and let them do what they want.  Sounds like you're trying to force him to not enjoy his hobby.

Alternatively, deleting the system32 folder will probably cure him of this problem.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »

Urist McBoyfriend cancels cuddle: playing Dwarf Fortress
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:05:43 pm »

Some months ago when I got addicted in DF my girlfriend deleted the DF folder with my 15 years fortress...I got so depressed that I started running around babbling and was even thinking about suicide in a 2/7 water pool...
Seriously.If you don't want him to play...talk to him...Dialogue can solve anything!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »

DF is less addictive than Warcraft because in Warcraft you have buddies and social pressure from your guild. You can't pause a WoW raid, you can only leave and hurt your reputation.
DF is more like SimCity and The Sims, where you can always start a new fort/city/character, try doing things differently. DF and Sims can have user-made content, little tiny expansions of the game.

If your significant other wants some escapism, he could lose himself in fantasy novels too, 400 pages per day. I don't think threats or disruption will work.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »

My partner downloaded DF several months ago and now when he plays it's like I don't exist. I feel like a World of Warcraft widow! I've tried repeatedly deleting his init/ directory, but he doesn't seem to get annoyed enough to stop playing. Any chance you could put a time limit on how long the game can be played at a time? Please? Kind of desperate here!
This is easy. Set an alarm clock next to him and make an agreement, when it goes off he is done playing for a while. You don't need the game to manage your time for you, you are both adults I'm sure.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 12:18:44 am »

Embrace dwarf fortress. We welcome you to become one of us.

Try seducing him if you won't do that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 12:20:48 am »

And if this doesn't work, either he is gay or you are not sexy.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 12:52:52 am »

If all else fails, add magmafalls to your bedroom.  Nothing gets DF players into the mood faster than anything involving pumps and cascading magma.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 08:28:52 am »

Try putting on a fake beard? A big one. Some kind of booze perfume/cologne might help, too. Maybe soak the beard in actual booze before putting it on.

--Edit--
No matter what, DO NOT use fake pointy ears as part of this setup. Unless they are hanging from a necklace or something.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:30:58 am by Sfon »

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 08:34:57 am »

If all else fails, add magmafalls to your bedroom.  Nothing gets DF players into the mood faster than anything involving pumps and cascading magma.
Unfortunately, I think she forgot to embark with a pick.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 09:11:24 am »

Provide large amounts of alcohol and/or butcher any pets you have. It's the only way!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 09:13:33 am »

Try putting on a fake beard? A big one. Some kind of booze perfume/cologne might help, too. Maybe soak the beard in actual booze before putting it on.

--Edit--
No matter what, DO NOT use fake pointy ears as part of this setup. Unless they are hanging from a necklace or something.
/thread

Also, don't forget to cover all your furniture with images of men taming giant eagles and shit.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4