Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do I need to know about modding to do this stuff?  (Read 2170 times)

Emong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do I need to know about modding to do this stuff?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 02:45:57 pm »

Where were you using it? And for what?

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »

I was trying to use it for my custom papermill workshop to make parchment. Like so:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_PARCHMENT]
[BUILDING:PAPERMILL:CUSTOM_SHIFT_P]
[REAGENT:A:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:PARCHMENT][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:TANNER]

The INORGANIC:PARCHMENT thing is another custom bit, but it seems to be ok. At least, it's not throwing any errors. I can't test it until I can get this reaction to work.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Emong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 02:56:06 pm »

And it's throwing errors over the SKILL tag in that? I've got a few custom reactions in my game with SKILL:TANNER and they all work fine. Though, I think it might not like that you're missing the NAME tag. E.g. [NAME:make parchment]

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:13 pm »

Oh, no, I've got the NAME tag in there. That up there isn't copy-pasted 'cause I don't have the code with me right now, so I had to write it out from memory.

Yeah, the error I get is "INVALID SKILL TOKEN: TANNER"

I'll try it again, maybe there was just some stupid typo.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 03:01:25 pm »

I tried that and it threw an error.  I also tried TANNING, TAN, TANHIDE, and TAN_HIDE.

[SKILL:TANNER]
It works for me, tried.

What else... Prose. It does nothing in vanilla, many modders use this skill to create custom things like 'books' (kinda). Same for concentration and alchemy - modders use it to, say, simulate 'magic wand' skill. Nature magic is broken.

I note that there are breath attacks. Can these only be attributed to creatures, or can I apply them to weapons as well? In other words, can I make, say, a flamethrower?
No.

What are the material tokens FILTH_B and FILTH_Y for? As a wild guess, I'd suppose B was blood, but I don't know what to make of Y.
Wild guess - vomit? It exists in-game.

There's a THROW skill but no thrown weapons that I can find. Anyone know how you go about defining a weapon as thrown?
Currently in Adventure mode only. Anything can be thrown. Anything can be wielded and hit with - that's Misc. Objects User skill.

Anybody know what the skill token is for tanning a hide? What about carving shell and horn? And armoring? And weaponsmithing?
I've said about tanner, horn and shell is bonecarver, armor and weapon - evidently, armorsmith and weaponsmith (for metal armor and weapons; bone armor - bonecarver, wooden weapons - carpenter, wooden xbows - bowyer, stone weapons - stonecrafter).

Anybody know what units the temperatures are in?
In Urists =) See wiki for how to translate Urists to Celsius etc.

How do trade values work? I note that materials have a MATERIAL_VALUE which seems to indicate the value of the raw material. But once you make something out of it, the value goes up. What determines how much it goes up?

For weapons, trap comps, armor that's SIZE tag (and quality level, of course). Other things - don't know, it's hardcoded. Most likely: (material value) * 2 * (quality level). It surely has nothing to do with the reagents used.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:10:11 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 03:16:28 pm »

I have the list of available skill tokens in my guide...

What's the difference between the material state tokens POWDER and SOLID_POWDER?
I can't answer this, I haven't even touched those.

The material state token ALL_SOLID -- I'm guessing this is a shorthand way to define the material's SOLID, POWDER, and SOLID_POWDER states all at once? Or is it just SOLID and SOLID_POWDER? That would seem to provide the reason for the presence of two different powder states.
Again I don't know, where is it you're seeing that, maybe I can check it out and figure it out.

I note that there's a PROSE skill. Is this actually used? Have I just not got far enough in the game to get to the point where it becomes relevant? What does it do?
Afoninv answered this. But yeah, it's not used presently in vanilla... consider it a place holder. I would suppose teacher, student, nature_magic, etc. are all not used for anything presently.

If I make up a material using the material templates, does it become a valid argument for HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Material_token
the wiki, might be a good place to start.

I note that there are breath attacks. Can these only be attributed to creatures, or can I apply them to weapons as well? In other words, can I make, say, a flamethrower?
No, it's a creature token.

What are the material tokens FILTH_B and FILTH_Y for? As a wild guess, I'd suppose B was blood, but I don't know what to make of Y.
afoninv's suggestion is best I could come up with.

There's a THROW skill but no thrown weapons that I can find. Anyone know how you go about defining a weapon as thrown?
Not used in Vanilla FORT mode. However, you can have a tantruming dwarf gain the skill by throwing stuff everywhere. In Adventurer mode you gain it from... throwing things... There is no throwing weapon presently, that's why you don't see throwing spears or ninja stars... cause they don't work the right way yet.

Anybody know what the skill token is for tanning a hide? What about carving shell and horn? And armoring? And weaponsmithing?
On my guide...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anybody know what units the temperatures are in?
On the wiki...
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Temperature_scale

To what objects can PREFSTRING be applied? Could a dwarf like swords for their sharpness, for instance? Or a saxophones for their sonorous timbre?
At the moment, I want to say only creatures... seeing as it's under "creature tokens". However, throw it on a few items of varying type and see if it throws you any errors.

How do trade values work? I note that materials have a MATERIAL_VALUE which seems to indicate the value of the raw material. But once you make something out of it, the value goes up. What determines how much it goes up?
This would be a good start...
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Value
Depends on the item and the material and the crafted value and any added materials (like studding or encrusting)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 04:55:12 pm »

Ok, I got TANNER to work. I guess there was just a typo somewhere the first time that threw everything out of whack.

Shaostoul, your skill list doesn't include weaponsmithing, armoring, or tanning. That's why I had to ask :)
It also seems to be missing skill tokens for smelting, glass making, potash making, and lye making.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 05:04:18 pm »

-
V.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 05:09:02 pm »

Also about prefstring - it is definetely used for plants too, not only for creatures. You may try and mod in a dozen of prefstrings for, say, toys and see if they appear in-game.
-
V.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38:24 pm »

Hmmm, it should have that stuff. I guess I'll have to fight with it at some other time. I remember having it on there. /shrugs

Oh well.

Only human, bound to make mistakes.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: 1 [2]