Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarves within Dwarves megaproject (FINISHED, DONE, KAPUT, AN EX-PARROT)  (Read 88063 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves within Dwarves megaproject (Updated 8/19)
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »

Pumpstack 1 is operating we have waterflow! Though I am little disappointed with how stonesense displays the waterfall. Next step is the magma hookup, then the mold for the beard. To be honest I'm not looking forward to the return to meticulous sculpting. I believe I will be able to save time however by casting the beard in a big ol cubey thing, then doing all the careful stuff with dig commands in the obsidian instead of build commands in the cast.

I have not done casting or obsidian farming before, how exactly does cooling a multilevel magma cast work? Will I need to repeatedly switch between magma and water or can I cool it all at once?

THE BOOZE MUST FLOW
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Dwarves within Dwarves megaproject (Updated 8/28)
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2010, 03:43:46 pm »

isn't one of the problems with the miasma fart feature include the fact that miasma is only generated on subterranean tiles?

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »

isn't one of the problems with the miasma fart feature include the fact that miasma is only generated on subterranean tiles?
I wasn't going to spoil the conversation...

The All Guardsmen Party

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2010, 03:46:40 pm »

I have not done casting or obsidian farming before, how exactly does cooling a multilevel magma cast work? Will I need to repeatedly switch between magma and water or can I cool it all at once?

You'll basically have to alternate.  Fill the area with water or magma, usually to 2/7 so nothing evaporates while you switch.  Let's say you start with water.  When you pump in magma, the tile will immediately turn to obsidian, and the magma will then flow over the top of the newly created obsidian tiles to eventually turn all the water to stone.  You will then be left with a layer of magma, so when you pump in water, it will turn that layer to obsidian, and leave a layer of water above.  Rinse, repeat...

The two most important things to remember are: (1) to have sufficient height from your pumps so that you can keep casting as layers are turned to stone, and (2) never to exceed 7/7 liquid on any one layer... if that happens, you have the possibility of creating obsidian on the layer above, accidentally sealing in a big pocket of water or magma.  If you're like me, it will be magma, and one heroic dwarf will have to take one for the team to drain it out...

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2010, 03:53:26 pm »

The two most important things to remember are: (1) to have sufficient height from your pumps so that you can keep casting as layers are turned to stone, and (2) never to exceed 7/7 liquid on any one layer... if that happens, you have the possibility of creating obsidian on the layer above, accidentally sealing in a big pocket of water or magma.  If you're like me, it will be magma, and one heroic dwarf will have to take one for the team to drain it out...

I don't think height will be a problem....

The All Guardsmen Party

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves within Dwarves megaproject (Updated 8/19)
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2010, 12:24:09 am »

Pumpstack 1 is operating we have waterflow! Though I am little disappointed with how stonesense displays the waterfall. Next step is the magma hookup, then the mold for the beard. To be honest I'm not looking forward to the return to meticulous sculpting. I believe I will be able to save time however by casting the beard in a big ol cubey thing, then doing all the careful stuff with dig commands in the obsidian instead of build commands in the cast.

THE BOOZE MUST FLOW
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Awesome!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2010, 01:41:00 am »

Am I correct in my guess that you have not "dug out" the mouth yet as you are intercepting the water for The Casting of the Mighty Beard of ObsidianDM?

Yes, DM == Dwarf Mark  :P
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2010, 01:42:00 am »

this is going to be awesome :D

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2010, 01:43:14 am »

Was that large, blocky area in the south west corner of the map a mountain at one point?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2010, 10:16:53 am »

Yes the mouth has been sealed in preparation for casting, I am currently constructing the casts, I may need to make some magma save doors though, otherwise lava may get up his nose.

That blocky area is what I did with extra blocks so they don't clutter my building options list. one of the banes of this project has been picking through lists of materials to find the one I want. I wish that it would save your last used material at the top of the list.

The All Guardsmen Party

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2010, 10:37:26 am »

Why don't you forbid all unneeded material from the stock screen?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2010, 11:34:25 am »

I was able to mark stone as economic but I didnt know you could do that with blocks, the stocks screen has a 4-5 minute load time when I go past the stone or block layers so I sort of avoid it.

The All Guardsmen Party

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2010, 11:52:23 am »

d-b-f(?) is your friend. You can't build with it if you forbid it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2010, 04:35:38 pm »

Would it be possible to kill something bloodily inside the mug so he's drinking blood rather than just water? It seems as though that would be marginally more dwarfy although i can't speak for the difficulty.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2010, 04:37:12 pm »

Would it be possible to kill something bloodily inside the mug so he's drinking blood rather than just water? It seems as though that would be marginally more dwarfy although i can't speak for the difficulty.
Blood isn't actually a liquid in the game. It's like booze. It can be in barrels, but outside, it doesn't have hydromechanics. It wont even fall.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17