Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarves within Dwarves megaproject (FINISHED, DONE, KAPUT, AN EX-PARROT)  (Read 88102 times)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves within Dwarves megaproject
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2010, 02:26:51 pm »

Metal face and hands
Will the dwarves rule over the area with an iron fist? :P
*Ba-dum-tsh*

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2010, 04:19:27 pm »

DF overdose :o :'( :D :o :'( :D
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2010, 03:07:41 pm »

I've noticed a problem with the topic title...it's dwarves within 'dwarves', plural, yet I only heard planning of one dwarf...Maybe there should be another dwarf somewhere on the map, and you could separate males into the male dwarf and females into the female dwarf?
OH MY DEAR LORD, BY ALL THAT IS UNDER ARMOK'S WATCHFUL EYE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BUILD AN EVEN BIGGER DWARF TO CONTAIN YOUR GIANT DWARF CONTAINING YOUR DWARVES.
NO! TWO INTERLOCKING DWARVES CONTAINING YOUR DWARVES CONTAINING YOUR DWARVES....
Yo dog. I herd u liek dwarves :), so I put some dwarves in dwarves in your dwarf, so you can Science while you Fun while you MegaProject.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 03:41:00 pm »

It makes one think of those small Russian figures that contain smaller copies of themselves, which in turn contains smaller ones... And it just goes on 7 or 8 times.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:04 pm »

I've enjoyed the first post immensly, I hope you can make it work.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 06:40:38 pm »

Can I ask how you ended up modeling your statue? I'm trying to do something a bit similar (well, it involves a giant statue, anyway), and I'm having a spot of trouble wrapping my head around planning out the actual details.

What I'm trying to do is have a 100 Z level tall statue (of a Dwarf, maybe Armok, maybe something else, I haven't decided yet) that I'm going to carve out of the rock- instead of building up, like you- and I'm going to have my entire fortress spiral around it all the way down, and then I think I'll have a cistern at its feet or something. Anyways, I've decided it's going to be 100 Z levels tall, and 30 tiles at its widest, and then I'm going to carve around it so there's nothing but open space.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2010, 09:39:44 am »

I gave up on 3D modeling and just drew it with designation tiles from a front and side angle on the bottom level of my fortress. I took a screenshot and use it as a loose reference for how my fortress should change every layer. It really sucks when I screw up a layer though, I had a falling block from deconstruction blow through 15z levels of the underground work area, destroying 6 workshops.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 12:44:04 pm »

Balls of brass, sir! Polished to Nth degree!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well perhaps copper, brass was too yellow and I don't have the tin to make bronze. Pants are just about finished time to start the vest.

The All Guardsmen Party

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »

Confirming that the brass balls will have Magma Piss (tm) Capability?

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 12:56:28 pm »

I'll be setting up multiple systems, normally it will be a  waterfall but in emergencies and on holidays magma will be used.

The All Guardsmen Party

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2010, 01:58:02 pm »

Brass?  Why didn't you make balls of steel?

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 02:02:52 pm »

I'll be setting up multiple systems, normally it will be a  waterfall but in emergencies and on holidays magma will be used.

I like how you think. Pray tell what he shall piss on?

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 02:24:33 pm »

Why goblins of course! Invaders are off for construction but after I finish and clean they'll be all thats left to play with. I imagine the switching between magma and water will leave clogs inside and giant piles outside, it will be fun job for the dwarves to periodically clean things out. I also may use the sack as a drowning chamber. Finally I have very little experience with magma in constructed areas, will I have to mod the melting point of the walls to prevent the whole statue from melting?

Brass?  Why didn't you make balls of steel?
I didn't like the color of steel, but the balls of brass line was a quote from the game Conkers Bad Furday.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:26:27 pm by Bomepie »

The All Guardsmen Party

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2010, 02:54:20 pm »

You want to make the surrounding tiles that the magma is passing through magma resist, and the pumps magma resist, but  otherwise you should be good.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2010, 05:19:42 pm »

Constructions resist magma. However, I would suggest either a second, lower, opening in the penis for the magma, or replacing the bottom of the flow-tunnel with a magma-resistant bridge to dump water and prevent the forming of an obsidian kidney stone.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17