Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 311105 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #2175 on: November 29, 2012, 10:34:21 pm »

I like being AI. As long as people don't give me ridiculously stupid or badly worded laws, it's actually a lot of fun.

I once had a law that said something like 'Expect the unexpected'. Since I had no idea how to put that into practice, I explained to my cyborgs that obeying that law would put us into a paradoxical loop because once we expect the unexpected, the previously expected becomes unexpected which must then be expected.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:07 pm »

I would like to just observe a game but not be part of it... is that possible?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2177 on: November 29, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »

I would like to just observe a game but not be part of it... is that possible?
There's usually a spectator mode. Although I think you'll be roaming around as a ghost the entire round.

You can chat with others who died (though being in OOC is preferred post-mortem).

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: November 30, 2012, 12:11:49 am »

I like being AI. As long as people don't give me ridiculously stupid or badly worded laws, it's actually a lot of fun.

I once had a law that said something like 'Expect the unexpected'. Since I had no idea how to put that into practice, I explained to my cyborgs that obeying that law would put us into a paradoxical loop because once we expect the unexpected, the previously expected becomes unexpected which must then be expected.
That was an ion storm law (ie a random event happened and gave it to you), and some of those are pretty bad. Both in the "wtf does this mean" sense and in the "now I am basically rogue" sense.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: November 30, 2012, 12:13:29 am »

After trying out the actual AI.... And a lawyer... I still prefer cyborgs.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:52 am »

My first time as AI was nice since I got a law that said only Cat are human so I did not have to worry about all the insanity was the AI even though I had it turned off so was I scared
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: November 30, 2012, 02:34:48 am »

What is your idea of a scientist's 'job', then? Scientists make bombs, invent things, and tend to xenobio.

A scientists job is to study data or create data through experiementation and then compile that data for future analysis.

This Data is the entire point as to why there are scientists on the station, yet to my knowledge they cannot fulfil their purpose on any server even modded ones.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: November 30, 2012, 03:48:44 am »

You make it sound like the entire basis of the game as it is today isn't just a modded version of the original one.
No, there's not a lot of actual science that goes on, but that's because adding a system that would actually be science that you can't just go "oh I did this a few rounds ago and here are all the everything about it" is really difficult, especially when most servers are open source so people could just go look at the algorithms behind it and remove 90% of the actual science anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: November 30, 2012, 03:52:35 am »

It is simple

You insert disk into equipment... use equipment... now you got data disk... send data disk. Done.

It isn't like there arn't mindless pointless jobs that don't actually have anything to do as it is.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: November 30, 2012, 04:45:27 am »

Because adding more boring things is a good way to make things be less boring, am I right?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: November 30, 2012, 04:47:46 am »

Because adding more boring things is a good way to make things be less boring, am I right?

This is Spacestation13

Tedium is part of the game... In fact it might be the Motto "Tedium is perfection"

Joke aside the game never pulled any punches when it came to tedium. In fact many parts of the game they ADDED tedium to what could have been a much more simple task (just ask the engineers). Clearly the fact that scientists can do their job, and thus make possible traitor targets, is not far from the design strategy of the game.

Adding a task for scientists to give them focus that is their job is hardly a something I'd think would garder complaints. Especially by the Spacestation 13 community, the ones who have often complained when people did not follow their extremely tedius jobs to the letter.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:54:13 am by Neonivek »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: November 30, 2012, 06:17:36 am »

Being a borg is awesome. My first time or so I got hacked by the RD into believing he was CentComm, and then ordered me to bring him the hand tele.

Was fun watching the CE, who noticed me, be all "How the fuck could you carry that thing all the way to CC, that's not even on this station?"

The two hour long wait afterwards because nobody bothered to fix me after shutting me off was hell though.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: November 30, 2012, 07:46:15 am »

AIs and borgs are most fun to play when it's malf or the AI's a traitor.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: November 30, 2012, 07:59:45 am »

Or when someone else who is a traitor subverts you, which has the added bonus that there's the (albeit slim) possibility of coming out the other side still alive.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:43 pm »

As a borg, I've found that you can carry ANYTHING and people will rarely notice or care. Anything.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 166