Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 311152 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #2100 on: August 26, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »

What do I need to know about this game?

Penis Morgan will be returning and stealing all your shit if he isn't busy exploring space and stealing space things. That's all anyone needs to know.

Though I play solely on the Goonstation servers. They allow for a lot of fun, and as long as you don't mind being toolboxed for no reason (which doesn't happen as often to me as it seems to happen to everyone else) and don't mind about 60% of the station not roleplaying, you'll be fine.

Favorite round was as a Detective. There was a changeling that ganked the HoP, and I took on his duties to keep the station going and making sure the Assistants got their jobs changed to something less useless. Long story short Cap and HoS were killed and I was Captain in all but the crew roster. AI wouldn't listen to my directions since I wasn't officially Cap, but still we murdered the Changeling and I never once abused my newfound power. Not once. I most definitely didn't pilfer some funds as the Escape Shuttle arrived.

As a more direct answer to the question: A good number of people try to keep a very fragile space station working smoothly, whilst a large number of things, whether it be aliens, revolutionaries, badmins, or incapable engineers, do their best to throw the station into turmoil and chaos while usually killing as many people as possible. Also, lag.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 26, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »

just stumbled upon the old derelict gamemode, made me want to add it to our server, so we imported the gamemode files, but we are not able to select it as a gamemode... any suggestions on how to fix?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 26, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »

First time playing as roboticist, I get jumped by a wizard within a minute of game start. I get frozen, and the wizard starts up the cluwne virus. I break free, and the wizard teles out. I go to the cluwne to see what's up and he grabs my leg.

Cue fifteen minutes of me bashing that mother fucker's head in with a fire extinguisher while the cyborgs are going "Uh, I'm not sure if I should be, are cluwnes human? I just, I don't know..."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 26, 2012, 05:20:30 pm »

Cue fifteen minutes of me bashing that mother fucker's head in with a fire extinguisher while the cyborgs are going "Uh, I'm not sure if I should be, are cluwnes human? I just, I don't know..."

And that's why the scientist fellow in i-robot built one robot with a use-your-common-sense core. And the point of the entire film was to show how restrictive and un-useful the strict laws were. Not that that would stop Nanotrasen.

Cyborg is still obscenely difficult with choices when you have the first law conflicting with itself. Where action causes harm and inaction causes harm.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 26, 2012, 05:45:59 pm »

Yay, bullshiting

I said something like "I'd advise everyone to scan the file since it was not put up by us and it could include viruses"

Not to mention that hack made me violated ;(

rumors says it was DK2 whatever but i really don't know yet and that is a shame.

I don't know what you mean by that, but I fairly distinctly remember that it was you that said that the archive was "useless" because it was "really heavily encrypted" and would "take years to brute force". I never said I remembered who made the absurd virus claims. I remember you first advised all caution, reasonably so. The only thing I mentioned your name in relation to was the GLaDOS-style "don't bother with that thing; it isn't important".

I do however, remember how you used to take everything as a personal attack and try to destroy the credibility of your "attackers" however. I pretty much winced before posting that last post because I knew I would upset you again, but I had hoped that maybe we would have gotten over it by now. What is there to battle over anymore?

IRC log I saved when the attack happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A permaban by Head (later turned into a timed ban and then removed by MasterOfApples) from the IRC happened to me eventually, though I don't have logs of the session that started the ban, only the private chat I had with cib just before and during my ban.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 26, 2012, 07:22:06 pm »

playing mixed on goonstation is an interesting experience. Having two wizards, a traitor, and three changelings is as well.

One round I played today ended in all of the survivors of the station banding together in the QM office and me buying them weapons and internals, and then retaking the AI sattelite from the changeling. As we did this, the other two changelings ran around the station, mopping up the remaining survivors. I shot one three times in the head, and a borg dumped it into the gibber in the chef's kitchen.

At the end of the game, it turned out that there was a wizard, and his objective was to sit around and wait until the shuttle is called, and then escape.

I think the traitor was killed by one of the changelings.

fun times.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 26, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »

And that's why the scientist fellow in i-robot built one robot with a use-your-common-sense core. And the point of the entire film was to show how restrictive and un-useful the strict laws were. Not that that would stop Nanotrasen.

Cyborg is still obscenely difficult with choices when you have the first law conflicting with itself. Where action causes harm and inaction causes harm.
The whole fun of cyborg is the struggle with the laws, though personally I think it's very easy to find loopholes but it's improper to actually use them.
Consider, for instance, the aforementioned movie. In it, the primary antagonist is an AI which has decided that some humans must be harmed in order to prevent harm to more humans. Instead of there simply being a zeroth law to explain the AI's action, the AI has simply gone rouge by SS13 standards. Is the AI griffing, or is it just reasoning on a massive scale? Consider that a robot is shown as completely capable of allowing one human to come to harm in order to save another when it cannot save both.
 Human common sense looks at the first law (A robot cannot harm humans, or, through inaction, allow a human to come to harm.) and figures that the first clause is obviously more important than the second, but there is no reason to think so based entirely on the grammar. If a robot is capable of allowing one human to come to harm in order to prevent another from the same fate, then who's to say that they can't harm one human in order to prevent another from coming to harm? It would all be much easier if there were 4 laws, but the 3 laws are pretty much made entirely so that there'll be conflicts to drive story.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: August 26, 2012, 10:54:43 pm »

I disagree that the three laws were designed so that there would be conflicts for the stories. If I remember correctly, the 3 Laws were made and the anthology 'I, Robot' (Which is a really good anthology), was written to explore the laws.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2108 on: August 26, 2012, 11:49:04 pm »

I disagree that the three laws were designed so that there would be conflicts for the stories. If I remember correctly, the 3 Laws were made and the anthology 'I, Robot' (Which is a really good anthology), was written to explore the laws.

No, i'm pretty sure Isaac Asimov flatout said he designed the laws to have those kinds of conflicts.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15:42 am »

It wasn't so much to cause those kinds of conflicts as it was to eliminate the trope of robots overthrowing their masters because they had no safeguards, and then seeing what kind of cool stories he could come up with those guidelines in mind.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: August 27, 2012, 12:49:59 am »

Yay, bullshiting

I said something like "I'd advise everyone to scan the file since it was not put up by us and it could include viruses"

Not to mention that hack made me violated ;(

rumors says it was DK2 whatever but i really don't know yet and that is a shame.

I don't know what you mean by that, but I fairly distinctly remember that it was you that said that the archive was "useless" because it was "really heavily encrypted" and would "take years to brute force". I never said I remembered who made the absurd virus claims. I remember you first advised all caution, reasonably so. The only thing I mentioned your name in relation to was the GLaDOS-style "don't bother with that thing; it isn't important".

I do however, remember how you used to take everything as a personal attack and try to destroy the credibility of your "attackers" however. I pretty much winced before posting that last post because I knew I would upset you again, but I had hoped that maybe we would have gotten over it by now. What is there to battle over anymore?

IRC log I saved when the attack happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A permaban by Head (later turned into a timed ban and then removed by MasterOfApples) from the IRC happened to me eventually, though I don't have logs of the session that started the ban, only the private chat I had with cib just before and during my ban.

I honestly don't even remember who you are.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 30, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »

Yesterday was my first game as changeling, as the roboticist. Suprisingly enough, the first body I found was spaced just outside my lab. I spent twenty minutes trying to absorb his DNA, before I gave up and decided to screw being a changeling.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: August 30, 2012, 08:11:25 pm »

Last night, I played 4 rounds, first 2 as changling, then traitor, then my first AI round.
Probably because there were usually about 7 people on at the start of the round, but regardless.
I was incredibly successful the first go. I had exposed myself by failing to absorb the captain, but then proceeded to absorb the electrician and several other people. I hid as the electrician for most of the round and I resorted to absorbing an AFK person because there was no one else to absorb(the only other people were either on mining or that one scientist with the captain in research.) When I completed my goal of absorbing people, I called the shuttle with my captain's spare ID and destroyed the computer. I then bolted the doors to escape and I escaped alone, too.

Next round, I was unsuccessful, though I did cause a lot of havoc. I was about to absorb the captain as my first victim, but suddenly, someone had caught me and knocked me out with a fire extinguisher to the head, before my sting or spit had recovered. The AI was being desperately trying to bolt me in, but kept failing because I had a backpack fool of tools. However I lacked insulated gloves, and was killed by the HoP when I had got shocked trying to break into QM.

Traitor round, I had announced I was no longer a changling. I got myself a c-saber and a box of fake cleaner grenades, as I was the janitor. Then I stole a AFK scientist's ID and made a bunch of space lube to put in my spray bottle. Then, I had cut the AI's cameras at escape, opened the end of the escape hallway, and sprayed lube at the beginning of the hallway, hoping someone would fly out into space. As the round went on, I killed the HoP and an electrician with a space lube trap, made myself an all-access ID and stole some insulated gloves and thermal goggles. I grabbed the captain's spare gear(jetpack, spacesuit, and jumpsuit) and had to break out of the captain's quarters because the AI bolted me in. After causing lots of problems, a miner blew up escape with erebite, for some reason, and I used a fake cleaner grenade in escape to see what they do. The captain had arrived with his energy gun and I proceeded to try and lure him into the space lube. However, I slipped and he shot me to death before I could recover. Luckily, though, as he tried to grab my body, he, too, slipped in the lube and flew out into space. Then I had a nice conversation with everyone I killed in dead chat.
EDIT: I forgot to mention my goal was to steal the captain's jumpsuit and escape alone.

The round after was my first AI round and it lasted 2 hours with the only changling murdered within the first 20 minutes. I went to sleep a 6am that night...
I play on the goonstation servers, by the way.

EDIT:
Yesterday was my first game as changeling, as the roboticist. Suprisingly enough, the first body I found was spaced just outside my lab. I spent twenty minutes trying to absorb his DNA, before I gave up and decided to screw being a changeling.
To absorb DNA, you have to grab them and get a tight grip on their neck. Just keep using the grab until it turns into kill. Then you click absorb DNA.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:12:22 am by Jack_Bread »

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: August 30, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »

This game sounds fantastic. Where can I get it, and how do I learn to play?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 31, 2012, 12:57:05 am »

This game sounds fantastic. Where can I get it, and how do I learn to play?
First, download and install Byond. The game is on the first page of Byond games. To learn how to play, go to the wiki of the server you are playing on. And remember, never be afraid to appeal a ban. There are a LOT of shitheads in SS13, if you play badly enough, you might be confused for one.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 166