Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 311167 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #2070 on: August 22, 2012, 09:42:53 am »

The best part of the logic, is, surely this kid, or anyone else knows what is a "realistic" mindset for some crazy freak sci-fi murderous traitor, or anyone else on a space station filled with clowns and poop. I wasn't aware people have actually worked on such things and fully understands how people act on such things.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: August 22, 2012, 11:50:16 am »

I would agree too, if it wasn't for the fact that running in there and killing a bunch of people meant that a bunch of people just entered spectator mode, and not everyone likes to spectate. And the Bay12 servers can go on for hours.

But I guess enabling respawning would fix that. If the people there are expected to RP, then RPing a new guy shouldn't be too hard.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:55 pm »

And the Bay12 servers can go on for hours.
This is one of the problems with bay12. If you get killed early on and no-one can find your body you may be stuck as a ghost for 5-6 hours.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: August 22, 2012, 02:06:48 pm »

The best part of the logic, is, surely this kid, or anyone else knows what is a "realistic" mindset for some crazy freak sci-fi murderous traitor, or anyone else on a space station filled with clowns and poop. I wasn't aware people have actually worked on such things and fully understands how people act on such things.

We have a large library of pop culture we can refer to for the mindset of a murderous traitor in a sci-fi setting. SS13 didn't exactly invent the "Killer in Claustrophobic Spaceship" setting. Off the top of my mind I can think of Alien, Event Horizon, 7 Days a Skeptic, and a plethora of late-night Space Channel movies whose titles escape me. It's interesting to note that all of these stories either feature dying throughout the plot, or dying en masse near the end. ;)

I agree that the rounds last too long, and the problem is the need to roleplay at the expense of gameplay. The death or capture of the traitor frequently leads to the game mode turning into Extended, since the Captain can't reasonably "roleplay" calling the emergency shuttle in that situation. Mechanics unique to Bay12 (such as the prison shuttle) have helped dig us deeper into that hole. It wasn't a problem in the early months of NSV Luna since meteors would eventually degrade the station (with explosions) faster than engineering could repair them, but the community decided to do away with most of the dangerous random events (which caused me to anxiously cry out on the old forums that Extended was going to end up being really boring, though I think I lost the fight to louder, more vicious voices).

If the game automatically restarted once the traitor was neutralized, this might alleviate the problem, but since a lot of Baystation 12's core (not a majority, mind you, but a minority of old guard players with the most sway) seems to really like Extended, I don't think that's an idea that is likely to be accepted any time soon. In fact, it's been suggested and shot down before, if I remember correctly.

Respawning was an idea that came up, as well, but I think parts of the admin team at the time were more interested in stopping griefing than in players having a good time, so it was decided that a respawn system would encourage poor play.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: August 22, 2012, 02:57:26 pm »

Actually they currently do have a 30 min respawn timer IIRC.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: August 22, 2012, 05:25:30 pm »

Does baystation not have any random events like space carp, aliens, meteors, etc.?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2076 on: August 22, 2012, 08:25:12 pm »

Does baystation not have any random events like space carp, aliens, meteors, etc.?

It does. Meteor swarms, radiation storms, powergrid checks, ion storms, just off the top of my head. Space Carp are already placed on the map, and Aliens are currently only admin-spawned.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:26 pm »

There's something about this game that really brings out the crybaby in a lot of people for some reason

Because it is boring... this game is very VERY boring and as such a pay off which is an anti-climax is enraging. (No, there is no room to argue this game isn't boring. This game doesn't avoid being incredibly mind splittingly boring and in fact fully embraces it. Does it have qualities other then boring? Certainly but it isn't a game that avoids long stretches of dull)

AND it is a game where you play a character and that goal includes becoming attached to this character. Which is fine it is a way to enjoy the game even more.

THEN it is a game where the idea and philosophies of how to play differ even within the same room. So dying because "The traitor decided to buy a gun toting maniac who wouldn't have got past the front door" could anger some people who don't see it as "A Traitor who was just waiting to get on the station before just shooting up everything and blowing it up".

It isn't really a wonder why a lot of people complain. In fact it would be unusual if people didn't.

Anyhow judging by the fact that the traitor is "perfect" unless they run and gun, it tells me that the games have officially broken down. Which is rather predictible given the stories I keep hearing. Hmmmm, I'd make a prediction but I'd be wrong.

This could be one of those games where it was more fun before people knew how it worked.

I don't think there is a way to fix it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:35:13 pm by Neonivek »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »

In cases where the traitor is able to win easily without resistance, he is trying to steal a useless object of some sort. Murdering high-ranking people is a harder job (murdering janitors and chefs and chaplains is easy because nobody cares about them or will notice if they go missing, another problem we have). The traitor needing to murder multiple people and cover his own identity is theoretically the most promising objective for an interesting game.

The traitor being "perfect" is a problem that was present last time I remember playing with you, Neonivek.

One big problem we also have is that SS13 wasn't actually designed (or at least well-designed) with roleplaying in mind. It's a "Who's the Killer?" game, one of several which were popular on BYOND at release, and it just happens to take place on a spaceship where we can do jobs. It could probably be alleviated if we ever found ways to make non-command jobs interesting, but the community gets distracted whenever somebody buckles down and asks to brainstorm ways being a chef won't suck.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: August 22, 2012, 10:20:40 pm »

Honestly I am always outright lost in these games.

I actually won two rounds unconscious and being dragged.

When I am not being killed I am just confused and hopeless.

Mind you I don't attribute that to why the game has problems (Dang it Space Station 2d project! Keep developing! You too Spacestation 3d!)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: August 23, 2012, 04:13:43 pm »

I will agree that the very long spectating/rounds is an issue in this game. I would say InfiniteMonkeys is a grand example of a perfect traitor. Someone who can completely fuck everyone up with just a mop and an air tank. Someone who can go guns blazing, and kill everyone, as well as someone who can solid snake. But yes this is definitely a "Mafia" type of game, and RP is definitely supposed to be a lighter thing in it. Heavy serious RP just does not fit the game, because of the mechanics of the game. Maybe in the remake it would work better, but currently, I just don't see how it works properly at all.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: August 24, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »

Someone I know is hosting a SS13 server, and I was wondering if someone had the OLD baystation station files around still, so we could play it as a map (as I find the /tg/ map to be really unbalanced/hard to play)

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: August 24, 2012, 10:55:12 pm »

I've personally been hosting a server for a couple weeks, and I wouldn't mind an old baystation code base as well. A lot of people are requesting donut station, and I can't find it anywhere.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: August 25, 2012, 12:43:40 am »

I've personally been hosting a server for a couple weeks, and I wouldn't mind an old baystation code base as well. A lot of people are requesting donut station, and I can't find it anywhere.

I remember a long time ago in a land far far away (before my ban) I nabbed a copy of the code and map before the player base on B12 went hardcore roleplay and frowny faced those like myself. I might be able to dig it up... it's somewhere in a giant tub where I have hard drives of past ages that I never took data off of. Mind you this is the OOOOLD code... before we switched, way before Luna. Think the code of the old station before the doughnut, when atmospherics worked but the code lagged like hell. How "old" are you asking?

EDIT: For clarification, iirc the code base I have has no 3d models.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:45:34 am by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: August 25, 2012, 03:21:17 am »

There are git repos of the old BS12 codebases here and here. The first is from before the switch to the goon release (I think this is the donut one you were looking for), and the other is before the switch to /tg/'s code.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 166