Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 311206 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #2025 on: August 08, 2012, 09:51:19 pm »

Hmmm, would that be meta? Should a cyborg know the location of all the circuit boards on the map?

Not meta at all, far as i know. Cyborgs would either be programmed with full info about the station or ICly download the info from some central repository or something. Same way AI's have full knowledge. It's the regular meatbags that might be a bit more restricted in that regard, but then again the work shifts are supposed to be several months long with the actual game rounds starting like right near the end of them, so that's plenty of time to have gotten to know the place. Even people arriving later could've been briefed on everything or just looked up the info themselves.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 08, 2012, 10:41:56 pm »

Hmmm, would that be meta? Should a cyborg know the location of all the circuit boards on the map?

Not meta at all, far as i know. Cyborgs would either be programmed with full info about the station or ICly download the info from some central repository or something. Same way AI's have full knowledge. It's the regular meatbags that might be a bit more restricted in that regard, but then again the work shifts are supposed to be several months long with the actual game rounds starting like right near the end of them, so that's plenty of time to have gotten to know the place. Even people arriving later could've been briefed on everything or just looked up the info themselves.

Isn't the point of being a cyborg is that you were once human?

And I don't agree with the whole "this happens so I know everything" ideas. That's just an excuse to metagame. Unless of course it is agreed upon by the community that plays on said server. I could easily say that Centcom doesn't want cyborgs to know the locations of the modules that can affect them, so they block that information.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 09, 2012, 03:22:42 am »

Am I the only one on here who doesn't go on baystation 12 servers? They just seem WAY too RP-heavy for me.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 09, 2012, 07:11:24 am »

I wouldn't unless your a really good RP and the Good decent Adims that don't ban you for arrest some one for Ripping apart the upper part of sec are the only ones there.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 09, 2012, 08:33:31 am »

Baystation 12 is fine. I never saw any admins being asshats. Although I don't think I really have seen any outside of Goonstation so eh.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 09, 2012, 09:38:30 am »

I think your opinion of baystation 12 boils down to what things people consider trolling or inappropiate to the game.

also I don't know where people get the idea baystation admins are douches, I've never seen evidence of this, I mean, do you have bad experiences or do people just tell you that?

in my opinion baystation is the only normal server and the other servers are just ridiculously un-regulated.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 09, 2012, 10:21:45 am »

I've only ever heard people complain about the admins, never actually seen them do anything unjust, or ban anyone ever actually. Probably because I'm on in European daytime when not as many people are on, so I don't see when the worst people are online.

Again though, tgstation has decent RP enforcement. Apart from special admim events where they are deliberately being silly/testing things.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 10, 2012, 06:03:29 pm »

The Bay12 server is generaly nice, but is almost too serious and sometimes you get an admin who hasn't had his coffee that morning and gets a little grouchy and bans everything for a few weeks. I kinda stopped playing it a while ago during a very bad period of such, but I hear people saying that it has improved.
The /tg/ varient runs anywhere from moderately serious to quite silly, but generally is well-managed.
The goon one is pretty bad. They have a lot of developers, but a very... unique... style and a lot of admins of varying quality. They also have a thing for adding questionable gimmicks.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 10, 2012, 06:15:35 pm »

Yes, goon station is pretty damn silly,necer played on /tg/ yet, and Baystation goes PMSing every once in a while with cranky admins.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 10, 2012, 06:40:48 pm »

The Bay12 server is generaly nice, but is almost too serious and sometimes you get an admin who hasn't had his coffee that morning and gets a little grouchy and bans everything for a few weeks. I kinda stopped playing it a while ago during a very bad period of such, but I hear people saying that it has improved.
The /tg/ varient runs anywhere from moderately serious to quite silly, but generally is well-managed.
The goon one is pretty bad. They have a lot of developers, but a very... unique... style and a lot of admins of varying quality. They also have a thing for adding questionable gimmicks.
I agree with this post entirely.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 10, 2012, 07:29:56 pm »

This is close to what I've seen too. Except the only unfair ban (and also only ban) I've gotten was from a grumpy admin from tgstation, because a shade killed a guy and I was made partially responsible because I was the one the chaplain had asked to do the stoney thing. He RPd it pretty well with written instructions. Until he killed the mime in disobedience of me telling him to stop.
Then the admin extended my ban to a week from 3 days when I said it wasn't my fault for "whining otherwise".
Do some people have 8 dimensional hyper-beds so that they can get up on 7 wrong sides of it?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2036 on: August 10, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »

I like a certain degree of seriousness. It's not that it needs to be super super RP heavy, but I enjoy that not everyone is constantly spamming OOC about stupid things. I might try Baystation 12. Would you have a particular example that shows how serious people take it all?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 10, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »

I could provide one. Though they're all ancient because I haven't played SS13 in quite a while due to switching my internet provider.

It depends on the players, game mode, and admins on how serious things are. I know one time we had Mortal Kombat style tournaments in an arena we built (used to be an admin).

Most of the time seriousness is created by the players. One particular case I can remember was as security, my HoS demanded I holster my weapon. This of course made me more vulnerable to enemies, but it prevented accidents and added to the "Role Playing" experience.

Overall, I'd say RP is 'common sense'. You're not superman, or a Christian terrorist, you're just an average engineer maintaining the engine. With that base, you can then make yourself interesting. Perhaps you used to work on a large battlecruiser, and often complain about the working conditions on SS13. Perhaps you're a captain, who is traumatized by his violent past. Perhaps you're an old janitor, with a story to tell if someone lends an ear. That's the kind of gameplay I think B12 aims for, not mass murdering and blood splattered walls, but interesting roll playing experiences that will stay with you for a long time.

Of course, this could have easily changed in the last 6 or so month I haven't played. Plus, not trying to put down the other servers, each strives to create a certain kind of gaming experience.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 10, 2012, 11:07:06 pm »

One particular case I can remember was as security, my HoS demanded I holster my weapon. This of course made me more vulnerable to enemies, but it prevented accidents and added to the "Role Playing" experience.
What.
Having your weapon in your hand as security makes you extremely vulnerable to enemies...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:52 pm »

Depends on your view point. I had about a 1/2 second lag. I'd be dead before I could equip the weapon.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 166