Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 311260 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1935 on: February 12, 2012, 04:35:36 pm »

Yeah, "Baystation 12 isn't uptight" is either a joke, a delusion, or a lie.
It normally isn't. I was able to fuck the Comm Sats, reorder it all, then just let it destroy itself and not even got a warning.

Perhaps the admins were to busy hassling janitors for sneaking around?

Probably.  The best rounds I've had on Baystation were ones with minimal admin intervention.  Correlation is not causation (could just be a lack of asshats on those rounds), but still...

I think part of it is that apparently a lot of the admins are awful young, something like an average age of 17 or 18.  I'm used to communities that are a bit more...seasoned.  :P   That bunch seems to have something to prove.

KG

You consider 17-18 year old admins young? Jesus.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1936 on: February 12, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »

Probably.  The best rounds I've had on Baystation were ones with minimal admin intervention.  Correlation is not causation (could just be a lack of asshats on those rounds), but still...

I think part of it is that apparently a lot of the admins are awful young, something like an average age of 17 or 18.  I'm used to communities that are a bit more...seasoned.  :P   That bunch seems to have something to prove.

KG

You consider 17-18 year old admins young? Jesus.

As admins?  Definitely, particularly when that's the average .  I tend to play in gaming communities like America's Army and ARMA 2 that draw an older audience in the 20-30 age range, and usually the admins are on the older end of that range.  I have yet to see much high school-esque drama in those groups that doesn't stem from a younger player causing a stink...the extra years of experience in how to reasonably handle people pays off.

I'm curious, then, what do you consider "young" for an admin, in a game targeted at a general audience?

KG
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:07:01 pm by kg333 »

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: February 12, 2012, 09:16:38 pm »

A young admin in my books is pre-pubescent, early-middle teenage, generally around 10-14. You see admins of this age a lot in games like Minecraft, not necessarily SS13 though. Hell, I almost fall under kg333's "awful young" category, and I've adminned quite a few SS13 servers. Though now I mostly sit back and let other unfortunate people take the responsibility of being server admins, and instead busy myself working with dozens of other coders to maintain and develop a server (tgstation).

I guess the point I'm trying to make is young admins aren't always bad admins. Even more mature folks can be enormous manchildren, jerks, and incompetent admins.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: February 12, 2012, 11:19:10 pm »

aren't always

Although true, it seems more likely for a younger person to be a shitty admin then a older person.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: February 13, 2012, 03:55:09 am »

aren't always

Although true, it seems more likely for a younger person to be a shitty admin then a older person.
Imo, having a <17 yr. old as an admin is either stupidity or trolling on the part of whoever appoints admins. 17 or 18 is in the 'quite young' category.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: February 18, 2012, 11:45:00 pm »

More than one BS12 admins are younger than 17.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #1941 on: February 19, 2012, 01:47:37 am »

I am not.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: February 19, 2012, 01:55:48 am »

The period when I was adminning for Bay12 started, if I remember correctly, towards the end of 15 for me. Bay12 admins are extremely young. I remember Jakkarra was an admin around the same time and he was only slightly older than me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:24:31 am by Jackrabbit »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:23 am »

More than one BS12 admins are younger than 17.
Really? Because I think there's only one who is (and that's going from information I can only half remember), with all the others being at least 18 (maybe at least 19, not 100% sure).

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: February 19, 2012, 05:36:47 am »

Imo, having a <17 yr. old as an admin is either stupidity or trolling on the part of whoever appoints admins. 17 or 18 is in the 'quite young' category.

Except for when you realise that age doesn't mean that much, it's their maturity, fairness and the quality of their written grammar that count :P

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1945 on: February 19, 2012, 06:16:31 am »

Except for when you realise that age doesn't mean that much, it's their maturity, fairness and the quality of their written grammar that count :P

True. There's a kid on these very forums who's only like 9 years old yet has excellent spelling and grammar. And i've also seen people who are 20+ and yet they SPEL LIEK DIS LOLOL :DDDDDDDD.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: February 19, 2012, 08:10:21 am »

And some people are very bright but suck at spelling.
Or have problems like dyslexia
Or are typing on their phone when they should be working

But most are illeducated dulards

Its a generalisation and generalisations exist for a reason.

Fact is most teenagers can be barely trusted to make a cheese burger let alone admin a server.
They lack the experience necessary to realise that they're not always right, they don't always get their own way, and sometimes compromise is necessary

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: February 26, 2012, 05:32:59 am »

Well, Baystation 12 has changed a LOT. The admins seem a bit less ban-happy, too.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1948 on: February 26, 2012, 07:21:08 am »

Well, Baystation 12 has changed a LOT. The admins seem a bit less ban-happy, too.

I agree. I'm glad i finally got around to getting that (mistaken) permaban appealed.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: February 26, 2012, 09:23:31 am »

I've always found that anyone who complains about metagaming is someone that can't stop themselves getting caught with a bag full of traitor gear.

Or they're a cultist that draws bloody symbols all over the station in plain sight and leaves them there for all to see (top tip, using your tome on the rune will remove it), then goes running around gibbering about nar'si.

Or that the crew is suddenly staging a mutiny, half the heads are dead, after reports of people getting flashed (and come on, photopic hypnosis can't be a simple technology, it must have been tested at some point)

I've said it before and ill say it again, you guys ditch all logical forethought just to give the antags an easy ride (and why should they have one?), and finally you apply modern day principals on a huge stinking megacorp based several astronomic units away from the next governing body (corps today don't give a crap about the guys at the bottom, its doubtful nanotrasen would mind if a few broken eggs fell out an airlock if it improved the bottom line)

All this makes BS12 a hugbox that screams 'my first RP environment'
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 166