Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 311300 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1875 on: January 31, 2012, 07:27:00 pm »

I don't see what would be wrong about killing anyone who is helping you if that person is a target or objective to be assassinated/removed.

Rev wise, I like to see it as red october, fuck whatever is in charge, get rid of it, we're in charge now. This game is very similar to trouble in terrorist town for both syndicate and even rev head, and these games are all about manipulation and backstabbing. Think of this efficiency wise. You're hurt, you're getting healed by a head surgeon who happens to be a target of your revolution. Waiting until fully healed and then taking the opportunity of his proximity, and the concentration of his mind in other matters, to then spray acid in his face and take him out of action, Not only have you made sure your own life is in good hands, you just succeeded in taking out one of the main targets of a revolution. Sounds like a double whammy to me. Now sure you could get into all the psychological stuff about how no one in real life would harm someone who just saved his life, but that actually happens, and to be honest, I think that can stretch to this game as unrealistic and silly as it is, and he chose to say fuck it and kill him anyways, instead of saying hey, this guy is in the medbay in a non suspicious way, or just leaving it to someone else down the road. The guy is going to get fucked up either way in the end, and you can't start helping or defending him, you're a rev head. I'm pretty sure once you're a revhead you are INTO that cause for all glory above and beyond, no turning back.

Christ, It would even be an amazing idea to injure yourself or have a fellow rev head injure you just so you could get close to the guy in the process of the nature of his job.

Capturing for political prisoners can be neat and all I guess, but I'm pretty sure history has shown you're better off completely burying what you remove.

You can take your specific case arguments to your forum, but I'm starting a little discussion over such an event for SS13 discussion in general.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 31, 2012, 07:28:01 pm »

This is not the place to argue about bans. I'm sorry dude, it really sucks. The strangest people get admin on Baystation for some reason. But this is not the place.

From Baystation12 forums:
Quote from: Spaceman96
I'm not fond of Burnedtoast, yes it's a grudge, no I don't care that I won't let it go.

Quote from: Apple Master
I made a post on that SS13 thread before it turns into "BS12 sucks".

*raises eyebrow

KG

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1877 on: January 31, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »

I don't see what would be wrong about killing anyone who is helping you if that person is a target or objective to be assassinated/removed.

Rev wise, I like to see it as red october, fuck whatever is in charge, get rid of it, we're in charge now. This game is very similar to trouble in terrorist town for both syndicate and even rev head, and these games are all about manipulation and backstabbing. Think of this efficiency wise. You're hurt, you're getting healed by a head surgeon who happens to be a target of your revolution. Waiting until fully healed and then taking the opportunity of his proximity, and the concentration of his mind in other matters, to then spray acid in his face and take him out of action, Not only have you made sure your own life is in good hands, you just succeeded in taking out one of the main targets of a revolution. Sounds like a double whammy to me. Now sure you could get into all the psychological stuff about how no one in real life would harm someone who just saved his life, but that actually happens, and to be honest, I think that can stretch to this game as unrealistic and silly as it is, and he chose to say fuck it and kill him anyways, instead of saying hey, this guy is in the medbay in a non suspicious way, or just leaving it to someone else down the road. The guy is going to get fucked up either way in the end, and you can't start helping or defending him, you're a rev head. I'm pretty sure once you're a revhead you are INTO that cause for all glory above and beyond, no turning back.

Christ, It would even be an amazing idea to injure yourself or have a fellow rev head injure you just so you could get close to the guy in the process of the nature of his job.

Capturing for political prisoners can be neat and all I guess, but I'm pretty sure history has shown you're better off completely burying what you remove.

You can take your specific case arguments to your forum, but I'm starting a little discussion over such an event for SS13 discussion in general.

I agree fully with this. The CMO was ultimately a target and had to be killed, the perfect opportunity was when he was busy healing you. You're a Revhead, you're not on some mercy mission, you gotta manipulate people to further your goals and that includes distracting your targets.

And in real life, if i was well and truly going to kill someone and i had the opportunity, like hell would i give him advance warning. That only happens in the movies, and half the time the person who was to be killed is able to get away because of that warning, which in real life you wouldn't want. As such, sanity is not an issue, he acted smartly and took an excellent opportunity when he saw it. Frankly i would've given him a medal if he actually hurt himself specifically so he could get to the CMO.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 31, 2012, 08:21:22 pm »

Considering that the Baystation is like... the ONLY server that looks down on killing in any situation, that bans should not happen on first time offenses. There is little indication as to what's right or wrong, and people usually have to learn things through ban appeals.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 31, 2012, 08:39:29 pm »

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:48:05 pm by Vherid »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 31, 2012, 09:03:11 pm »

Like I said, still going strong:

http://forum.spacestation13.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=157
Bleh, still looks awful to me. Completely unfitting of the original style.
What original style. Looking like trash? Quite classy, really.
I kinda like them.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 31, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »

Just... I do not like the gigantic tiles, the too-much-detail... Kind of like if you gave graphics to DF... it just wouldn't feel right. I like the crummy graphics and all of that.

I think they look really nice. Original has it's charm to it, but they're stretched pixels unless you specifically set it to the 32x32 or whatever, and then it's too small. It's also really shit quality. I don't think this is the same as giving DF graphics at all. DF in ASCII looks great depending on the type of ASCII tileset you use. It's all about the clarity and strength of what's chosen. This is the same for BYOND and this new version. It's still pixel graphics, but now it's actually something that has quality and sharpness to it. It kinda removes the charm sure, but I find pixel/sprite work done with amazing quality is just gorgeous. I rather most games have high quality sprite work instead of shitty 3D work. Eld's works are amazing examples of beautiful pixel work.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 31, 2012, 09:51:12 pm »

I think the only thing anyone cares for right now is less lag.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 31, 2012, 10:06:04 pm »

I think the only thing anyone cares for right now is less lag.

Which there's going to be none from what it seems like.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 01, 2012, 01:11:34 am »

Vherid, it still may look awful to XxoriginxX, respect his opinion :).

My uncle who was playing Warcraft 1 still thinks that Warcraft 2 is for hipsters and all modern 3d games are shit because small pixelated icons are the best a man can get. Everyone has his own opinion.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 01, 2012, 05:48:34 am »

i must say i am too one who kind of feel the new gfx looks "weird/wrong"... but i think its that i usually like these pixel stlye games alot... i.e. final fantasy (6??) on the snes, generally snes-gfx rpgs, cave story+, terraria, rouge survivor...
ss13 definately fits in that general "gfx-style" and i guess it helps in that way with all the chaos that can happen and people think about what happens in it more as "fun" (its a game) than "disturbing" (urgs.. all that poo) or "cruelty" (bashing the brain in with a toolbox).

where the new style seems more ... "serious/mature/refined" (? no clue how to describe either style actually XD but you guys probably know whats meant.). maybe its a bit of the "uncanny valley effect" why people "feel the new gfx is weird".

but i must say that cloneing pod (or whatever it is) looks awesome (imagine clones growing slowly in it visible and some glowing bubble effects or so) and the "bigger tiles" are definately more "handy" to draw the items on than the 32x32.
also that it probably lags less and we might have some working atmos again, or crazy lighting (i guess?) with fires/lamps is definately a + for the new version.
guess there are overall alot of ++++ points for a new version where one of the - points is "nostalgia/gfx ralated" or so...

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1886 on: February 01, 2012, 06:01:49 am »

Personally, i like the new graphics. If you want the old style then play the original game. The thing with the original's graphics is that either you have them on "stretch to fit" or 64x64 which makes it look like blurry ass, or you put in on 32x32 which makes everything too small and means i gotta squint to see the small stuff which really hurts my eyes. The new graphics are bigger, they're visible.

And Origin, assuming the remake's got a lot more customization options, you wouldn't need more detailed descriptions anyway. You don't need text describing what someone looks like when you can actually see them and see what they look like. DF's different, you need the more detailed descriptions because there's no graphical way to accurately describe the creature you're looking at, whereas with the SS13 remake, again assuming customization gets beefed up, you might not need detailed descriptions in the first place.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 01, 2012, 06:18:44 am »

This is not the place to argue about bans. I'm sorry dude, it really sucks. The strangest people get admin on Baystation for some reason. But this is not the place.

From Baystation12 forums:
Quote from: Spaceman96
I'm not fond of Burnedtoast, yes it's a grudge, no I don't care that I won't let it go.

Quote from: Apple Master
I made a post on that SS13 thread before it turns into "BS12 sucks".

*raises eyebrow

KG

I was referring to my post asking BurnedToast to not spread crap here before this topic turned into what it usually does, i.e a topic full of people that we've somehow offended going "BS12 is crap" and "The admins are terrible". Last time that happened I was muted for 2 weeks for you know, dis agreeing, so I'm not inclined to see it happen again.

On the topic of the remake: A few shiny screenshots do little to convince me that they're gonna get any further than any of the other remakes, but we'll see.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1888 on: February 01, 2012, 06:49:02 am »

I was referring to my post asking BurnedToast to not spread crap here before this topic turned into what it usually does, i.e a topic full of people that we've somehow offended going "BS12 is crap" and "The admins are terrible". Last time that happened I was muted for 2 weeks for you know, dis agreeing, so I'm not inclined to see it happen again.

Come now... I fancy it was far less the fact that you disagreed with what was being said, that got you muted, and more the manner in which you chose to express your disagreement.

If members of the community wish to discuss pros or cons of playing on any particular server, that should be up to them, assuming they keep it civil. If you do not wish to be muted again, then simply don't respond in such a way that Toady or Threetoe feel they are left with no other choice than to give you a time out.

To imply that a discussion should not take place because you aren't confident in your ability to remain civil in that discussion just doesn't seem realistic.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14:32 am »

Well, whatever you say.

I don't appreciate people going onto our forums and quoting us out of context for whatever reason.

edit: Yes, my key point here is that it wasn't civil and it wasn't a discussion, it was literally 4 or 5 people who don't like BS12 telling everyone else we were shit.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 166