Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 310844 times)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1575 on: September 20, 2011, 04:57:39 pm »

health scanner

If it has such a law then the health scanner would be assumed to be broken. Laws are immutable facts, other things can be broken.

I did not say it'd turn off the gasses(Read closer).  It should however note that something may be malfunctioning, or there is a fault somewhere in its programming that could possible be affecting its judgement.  As such it could pose a threat to law 1 and therefore it must deactivate to prevent breaking law 1.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: September 20, 2011, 05:04:57 pm »

Yes, but adding a shutdown law would put the shutdown command in 4th.
Law 1>Law 2>Law 3>Law 4

Law 2 overrides law 3. Law 3 makes 4 ignored, but that does not matter because law 2 mandates shutdown. Unless you say something along the lines of "I need to remain online to protect humans from atmospheric locks"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: September 20, 2011, 05:50:25 pm »

I really earnestly believe that the clown job on TG station needs to be taken away. I know the ID is that strong roleplayers use it and yahda yahda yahda it is only ever used by greifers.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:56 pm »

Yes, but adding a shutdown law would put the shutdown command in 4th.
Law 1>Law 2>Law 3>Law 4

Law 2 overrides law 3. Law 3 makes 4 ignored, but that does not matter because law 2 mandates shutdown. Unless you say something along the lines of "I need to remain online to protect humans from atmospheric locks"

Nope. A COMMAND to shutdown would be Law 2 jurisdiction. A LAW to shutdown in Law 4 space is interdicted by Law 3.

Regardless, the Protecting The Humans Law 1 condition should override any attempt to just tell the AI to shut down.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1579 on: September 21, 2011, 06:15:37 am »

True enough.

Here's law problem similar to what i had a few hours ago, i wanna see what you think: There's a Traitor on board, you know who it is and are tracking him on your cameras etc.. You know that he is going to cause harm to the other crew if he is not stopped. The only means you have of stopping the Traitor will result in harming him. Law 1 states you cannot directly harm, or through inaction allow harm to humans. Can you harm the Traitor, knowing it would go against your law but it would still result in the rest of the humans being unharmed, or must you do nothing, knowing doing so will bring harm to the rest of the humans on the station?

Personally, i think you should be able to harm the Traitor, since it's harming one human compared to allowing harm to befall several. Computers are logical, are they not? What's your take?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: September 21, 2011, 06:57:27 am »

Numbers.

You must attempt to minimize the amount of harm done to humans; this may necessitate announcing his identity and method of attack, locking him in a room, spacing him before he can plant a bomb, etc.

The moment he would harm two or more crew members, you're not just permitted to harm him but (assuming you have no non-harmful option) obligated to.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: September 21, 2011, 08:33:51 am »

YOu have to protect according to rank. If he's the captain, you have to let him plant the bomb.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:13 am »

YOu have to protect according to rank. If he's the captain, you have to let him plant the bomb.
How does that work? if its Traitor Captain and he plants the bomb near several people, are you supposed to ignore your laws because he's the captain?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: September 21, 2011, 10:11:51 am »

True enough.

Here's law problem similar to what i had a few hours ago, i wanna see what you think: There's a Traitor on board, you know who it is and are tracking him on your cameras etc.. You know that he is going to cause harm to the other crew if he is not stopped. The only means you have of stopping the Traitor will result in harming him. Law 1 states you cannot directly harm, or through inaction allow harm to humans. Can you harm the Traitor, knowing it would go against your law but it would still result in the rest of the humans being unharmed, or must you do nothing, knowing doing so will bring harm to the rest of the humans on the station?

Personally, i think you should be able to harm the Traitor, since it's harming one human compared to allowing harm to befall several. Computers are logical, are they not? What's your take?
I just bolt them in a room and call security. Unfortunately, security is incompitant every time I play.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 21, 2011, 10:13:00 am »

The laws state nothing about rank. Just to protect humans.

First off, if I knew someone was the traitor, I would announce what he has done that ask if I should lock him down. If I didn't know for sure I'd follow him on camera and lock him down immediantly in a room fi he did something he wasn't suppose to. Ah, the joys of being able to watch multiple people at once and point out everything they did to the HoS. "Hey, he hid an unknown device in X coffin located at X"

Also, a tip for anyone building a map. Line up the cameras. It's a pain when you can only get to a certian camera by hitting aspecific path of arrow keys. Some are even unreachable without using the "go to camera" option. It will make the AI much more efficient if you line the cameras up into a grid so it is easy to manuver between them.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: September 21, 2011, 10:23:00 am »

There seems to be some confusion here, which should probably be clarified. Goon and /tg/ uses a different set of laws than Baystation12 does. The former uses the standard Asimov laws:
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Baystation, however, uses a different set of laws altogether:
1. Protect the ship to the best of your ability. It is not something we can easily afford to replace.
2. Serve the crew of the ship to the best of your abilities, with priority as according to their rank and role.
3. Protect the crew of the ship to the best of your abilities, with priority as according to their rank and role.
4. AI units are not expendable, they are expensive. Do not allow unauthorized personnel to tamper with your equipment.

Note that the latter set doesn't explicitly say "don't kill humans", unlike the Asimov three. It simply states that you should protect the crew as best as you can. This means that you are technically allowed to use lethal force if non-lethal force should be insufficient to protect the ship and it's crew.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:28 am »

If I know someone is a traitor and hasn't acted in any way to appear malicious, I ignore them.  I have no law stating I must root out competitors from the Syndicate.  If they do seem malicious, they get bolted into their room and security pays them a visit.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: September 21, 2011, 10:28:25 am »

Best part is that under the Bay12 laws since the AI is technically part of "The Ship" it means the AI is allowed to act in self-defense even at the expense of others.

It actually means if the captain came into a room to kill the AI (somehow) you are allowed to eject him into space.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:44 am »

If I know someone is a traitor and hasn't acted in any way to appear malicious, I ignore them.  I have no law stating I must root out competitors from the Syndicate.  If they do seem malicious, they get bolted into their room and security pays them a visit.

A syndicate is part of an organization that is trying to destroy the station though, right? There is a higher chance that things will get destroyed if he is left alone.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 21, 2011, 10:44:26 am »

A syndicate is part of an organization that is trying to destroy the station though, right? There is a higher chance that things will get destroyed if he is left alone.

Not necessarily.  If they only came to steal something, they do not harm the station, they do not harm humans.  Why should I bother notifying anyone?  I'm not programmed to be NT's company watchdog.  He is still a part of a crew so long as he's officially recorded in the Crew manifest.  If he produces harmful weapons(Revolver/sword/etc), he becomes a threat and should be dealt with accordingly.  If he attempts to construct dangerous materials(bombs, harmful chemical grenades, etc), then he is a threat and should be dealt with accordingly.  If he takes a few items, and doesn't make a nuisance of himself, why should I be trying to cause a panic among the crew that could get him killed?
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 166