Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 310785 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1515 on: September 18, 2011, 09:02:30 pm »

Whats your favorite profession, and why?

I tend to be in MedSci, specifically Chemist, Scientist, and sometimes Virologist, and often AI if i can. I never specifically choose to be a Medical Doctor, HoP, HoS, Engineer or Security Officer, and i rarely choose the rest of them, though i'll go with it to the best of my ability if i get randomly given that profession. Although i like the all-access of Captain, at the same time i hate having to do the work that comes with being Captain (like, doing HoP work when there's currently no HoP etc. which is why i never choose HoP).

Since i always prefer being a Traitor, it's fun seeing what i can do with my work >:3.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 18, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »

I'm a fan of being the AI.

"No, you can't get into that room, if you were meant to be there you would have clearance."

And
Pand: Most, if not all people have lag. I'm probably the worst of all of you, with a 2 second lag.

My lag seems pretty abnormal, worse than yours, considering it causes major trouble in the most basic of interactions with anything not reliant on the pop-up boxes.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 18, 2011, 10:03:14 pm »

I kinda wanted to be an AI but other then how difficult I think it would be... I don't think people would "appreciate" how I'd want to play it >_>

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:41 pm »

I kinda wanted to be an AI but other then how difficult I think it would be... I don't think people would "appreciate" how I'd want to play it >_>
The reason I don't play AI every round is because I get in arguments over the laws. I say at the beginning of the round "Protocol states that 3 Heads must confirm a shuttle call, in order to protect the humans at CentComm" and everyone accepts that. Towards the end when the changeling has half the station, and everyone is bitching, I state what they agreed to. They say "NO WE DIDN'T U GEY" (Take note that I've never AI'd on a Baystation server other than my own) and I bolt the shuttle. I'll lock criminals in closets, as well, and I'll get punished for saving lives and letting security handle it.

I hate the goonservers, but they have the most stuff, so if I want to do something that they have, they're the only one with it. Baystation is my favorite, but they generally only have like 3-4 people on.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 18, 2011, 10:10:35 pm »

Being the AI is actually pretty easy in my experience, provided you have experience with other jobs. The real bitch about being the AI IMO is the camera system and the assistants asking for access all the time.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 18, 2011, 10:39:28 pm »

Favorite job?

Assistant.  No responsibilities, maint access.  Gear up with a set of tools, maybe filch some stuff outta somewhere and get ready for when the shit hits the fan.  Alternatively, fill other holes in the job roster.  No miners? 

Besides that, I also like to play Geneticist - though I haven't so much since the map for medbay changed - and Mime, which I basically do as speechless Assistant.  Emoting is fun, and paper-on-camera works pretty well with the AI.  I don't think I've ever actually had occasion to use the invisible wall, though... too bad.  And no one ever pays attention to my "invisibly mop floor and then slip on it" act.  :<

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:39 pm »

The reason I don't play AI every round is because I get in arguments over the laws.

Exactly.

Though the worst are Traitors. No matter what you say if you don't follow the laws like the Traitor believes they work... then you did something wrong.

"I won't harm humans"
Traitor writes in
"All humans are vermin" (as a law)
and then
"All Vermin should be exterminated"

and I go "Hmmm, well if you see there. The law states that humans should die AND all Vermin should be exterminated". Yet the general response I got was "NO you must now kill all humans because they are vermin and not humans".

It really is why I say the AI player REALLY just seems to be there to replace an actual AI. They seem to have trouble deciding whether or not the AI has a personality or not as well (and would explain why a LOT of servers outright ban AIs)

Mind you... it isn't so bad. don't let this make it seem like I think the AI is terrible, only that sometimes you get into arguements involving how the AI even works. Which is almost unique to the AI and one of its largest downsides.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:50:48 pm by Neonivek »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 18, 2011, 11:13:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, my favorite char is probably engineer because he's got the most stuff to do... you're rarely sitting around idle. If nothing else, you can babysit the finicky engine and try and squeeze every possible drop of power out of it.

Doctor seems like it could be OK, but the problem is it's so easy to kill people you pretty much never actually need medical attention since you're long dead before anyone can get there to help you. Also, arguably everyone who's not so injured they have passed out can treat themselves too, depending on if you feel it's metagaming for everyone to have basic first aid knowledge to use the stuff in first aid kits. If people regularly got injured and needed surgery/cryo/etc then it might be a lot of fun too.

Geneticist also might be fun, but the one time I tried to work it I just managed to almost irradiate someone to death before they got bored of it and left :p The other research positions are largely pointless unless you're traitor, though it's fun to be a plasma researcher once or twice just to figure out how to make grenades/bombs without anyone yelling at you :D

AI... I think the laws really need to be reworked before I give it a try. Right now they are all supposedly equally important, which leaves lots of crappy law conflict situations (like if someone tells you to eject someone else into space, or open a door that's got toxins/fire behind it that might spread, etc) where you want to argue with the crew, but you're also not supposed to argue with the crew because you're just a machine serving them, so no matter what you do someone is gonna complain and say you're breaking the laws and doing a bad job and not RP'ing right (and also maybe accuse you of being traitor AI just for laughs)

I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with the standard, prioritized Asimov laws that goonstation uses and (I believe) BS12 used to use. They seem nice and clearcut, easy to understand, pretty loophole free, and solve the problem of conflicts very nicely. They aren't really significantly different then the current laws either.

Edit: fixed tags (for real this time)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:19:46 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1523 on: September 18, 2011, 11:17:52 pm »

Besides that, I also like to play Geneticist

I sometimes do Geneticist, but damn it's a slow. It's not so hard once you know how to do it, which i basically do, but it takes ages doing it. You gotta keep irradiating the SE until you get it right, then make an injector and test it on something, then find out that doesn't work, so you go back and irradiate the next block pertaining to the kind of effect you want, find out you accidently irradiated too much and half the damn SE is mutated and so you gotta go through getting it cleaned...

Still, being able to stick people in the DNA Modifier and irradiate them to mush is nice.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 18, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »

Geneticist seems like a role that is only fun if you memorised the wiki.

Is that true?

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 19, 2011, 01:00:03 am »

Geneticist seems like a role that is only fun if you memorised the wiki.

Is that true?

Depends on what server you play on and how the game is going. Some times it's dead slow. Others it's crazy fast paced. But when it's slow it's always interesting to look for super powers. I've yet to find one. But i've made enough monkey people blind deaf and dumb to satisfy my macabre needs!
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 19, 2011, 02:49:03 am »

How do I open the sandbox panel?

CompactNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • From space!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 19, 2011, 03:32:43 am »

Well, it has to be sandbox for one. If it is, and you can't see it in your command tab, try rejoining.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 19, 2011, 03:43:37 am »

Personally I prefer not having a concrete backstory.

This leaves things completely open for people to improvise and come up with whatever they want in a round.

"Improvising" seems to be how a lot of people end up getting banned on Baystation :P

I'l try to stay out from this wretched discussion but probably because they "improvised" as a excuse to greif.

Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 19, 2011, 04:02:47 am »

plasma (which is like gas except way cooler because it does something that is never really explained)
*Wikipedia*
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 166