Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 310784 times)

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1425 on: September 15, 2011, 09:16:49 pm »

How does one go about constructing a map? I realized that if I'm going to spend this much time whining about the NSV Luna I probably owe it to the playerbase to try to assemble something better.
... and then it explodes!

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: September 15, 2011, 10:31:43 pm »

You have to learn the custom byond code the game is written into. I'm still thinking about doing the same thing but it may ultimately prove to be more work than it's worth for me.
It's open source.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Abi79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 16, 2011, 12:39:47 am »

How does one go about constructing a map? I realized that if I'm going to spend this much time whining about the NSV Luna I probably owe it to the playerbase to try to assemble something better.
You have to get a snapshot of the code, either ours ( https://code.google.com/p/baystation12/ ) or /tg/'s ( https://code.google.com/p/tgstation13/ ) and follow the guide on our respective websites to set it up. Once that's done, with Byond installed you go into the .dme file. It'll open a code editor, which has a window on the left where you can go through all the files. You can then open up the Luna, see how it is made, and create your own map.

The map editor is rather simple to use, and if you ask us questions on the forums you might not need to know how to code in Byond's language at all.

Personally, I subscribe to the mentality of there having to be more interesting ways to die, traps, deadly machinery (if you don't handle it right), as long as we don't forget that we prefer on Baystation to roleplay and investigate as well. Basically, I think we'll need for our port, to strike a good balance between fun and roleplaying.

As for /tg/, most of the guys there are quite awesome, so if you don't like our playing style, give theirs a try. :) (I play there as well) We plan for the port to cooperate with them (I'll write up a post to go with to their forums and prepare everything when I get back home in two days), design and program it together. Probably we'll also have a shared SS13 on github where we'd sync a common SS13 code, with a folder to keep in the more interesting features split into neat modules.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: September 16, 2011, 12:55:47 am »

Disarm is overpowered.

Indeed it is. I never ever go into close range. I always stun stun stun and cuff as quickly as I can because of that. I get some gruff for being a wimp and not reading their rights or whatever to them, but the tables of a fight can turn so quickly and gear matters so little if you don't use it as much as you can I just ignore the complaints and I normally win most fights.

CompactNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • From space!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 16, 2011, 01:50:15 am »

Hey guys, what's going on over on this thr- Oh lawd!

But seriously, what's with all the complaining about how BS12 plays? We've got a decent sized playerbase (sure, nothing along the lines of /tg/ or SA, but it's enough to have rounds playing for most of the time) who all seem to enjoy just RPing, I know I do. If you have an issue with that, then go to another server. As far as I'm aware, most players are suited to at least one of the "big three". What -isn't- a good idea is to just whine about how strict we are over on this thread, chances are all that's gonna do is get it locked, like a certain other thread did, way back when.

Also, yes, disarm is particularly overpowered. Admittedly, most combat is pretty awful in SS13 though.

Also, also, I love you too Zaphod.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: September 16, 2011, 02:02:21 am »

This thread has been full of hate since the beginning of time, it's really nothing new.  I can only hope as a current admin that I don't one day end up jaded and bitter and ranting in here like so many before me.

BS12 is a roleplaying server and obviously isn't for everybody (Just look at this thread).  If you want hour long rounds with people blowing stuff up constantly, there's plenty of servers for you that handle that very well, but it's not us.

PS: I miss you Grakelin.  :-(

-Strumpet

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 16, 2011, 02:28:07 am »

I just wrapped up a round of extended as CE on BS12, this being the first full round I've played after several months of absence. Just did my job, tried out the new mining features and sent along regular situation reports as requested. Right at the end of the round I get in a bit of trouble for botching a door hack on escape access. Electrical storm had damaged it, so I cut up the wires and crowbar'd through. It seems that in repairing it I goofed up due to lag, leaving it running on backup power with dropped bolts and electrified. I fixed both as soon as I found out what happened. IC I tried to explain it away as being delirious with pain due to my character's broken arm and all seemed well.

Shortly thereafter the shuttle had launched, ending the round, and the crew was sitting around on the shuttle. Figuring that it made sense to RP a guy in serious pain as fidgety, I was pacing around the shuttle before bumping the airlock by accident causing myself, one of the other passengers and miscellaneous junk to be expelled from the ship. I immediately apologized IC and OOC, only to receive a vague and sarcastic response from the admin along with a 38 hour ban. Any further attempts at contact with the admin over this matter were ignored.

I'm a bit upset over this, and their forums are down so I can't even file an appeal.
... and then it explodes!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 16, 2011, 02:46:19 am »

So guys, right now who is the current person saying they are going to remake Spacestation 13 except better? My guess is that they are all gone.

Anyhow... The best way to do roleplay so you don't get bored is simply not to start at your shift. Start on your break.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 16, 2011, 03:12:00 am »

There were a bunch of people who weren't BS12 people earlier in the thread, no idea what's happening with them. The BS12 port is moving along, I'm not entirely sure what the others are doing (time zones, why do you hate me so?) but I am going to see how much of a game I can make in the next couple of weeks (don't expect anything, I'll probably get to the point of having turfs and nothing else).

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 16, 2011, 04:00:25 am »

Unlike Strumpet I am already Jaded and Bitter :( You could say "I'm young enough to be all pissed off but I'm old enough to be Jaded" (Points for getting the song I stole dat from).

Anyway, pretty much what CN said. There are plenty of people who enjoy playing BS12, and whilst some of the criticism is warranted no one's forcing you to play here.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 16, 2011, 06:19:35 am »

What advice would you give an absolute beginner?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

CompactNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • From space!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: September 16, 2011, 06:31:15 am »

Assuming you're playing on BS12, as a rule of thumb, behave realistically. We don't appreciate when people break realistic behaviour for whatever reason, whether that's a metagamey sense of self preservation, for "funsies", or what have you.
Also, be sure to ask how to do stuff. It can be a lot to take in. The adminhelp verb is there for a reason, so use it :P.
If it isn't BS12, then well, I can't really speak for the other servers, so I can't help there. :\

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: September 16, 2011, 06:54:41 am »

I also suggest that if you are playing baystation you don't start as a assistant like you would in most other ones, and instead pick up a easy job like the cook or bartender or something. Having nothing at all to do for hours requires quite a bit of RP skill, or you will just be randomly walking around, which is not a good thing to do.

For the other stations start as a assistant and randomly walk around, at least until you get the lay out of the station, also you can actually do things as an assistant, although still not much. Eventually you will most likely want to find a easy job you are comfortable with, and you can gain skills from there.

CompactNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • From space!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: September 16, 2011, 06:58:43 am »

We don't have the ability to pick jobs upon arrival anymore. You'll have to get assigned by the Captain or HoP. If that proves confusing, like I said, just ask over OOC, or in adminhelp.
Oh, and here's a map of the Luna, NT's most convoluted ship currently in service (ie. what we generally use at BS12):
http://map.whoopshop.com/

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: September 16, 2011, 07:57:14 am »

That's a pretty crazy station actually.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 166