Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 310831 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1380 on: September 14, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »

How does depressurization work over there? Do you seriously empty out whole portions of the station from little holes?
If you break a window on a Baystation server, then the whole room gets sucked out. You'll get banged against walls, and have bones broken all over the place. You might even go critical before you start suffocating.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:55 pm »

Err. I'm not 100% on the mechanics of that. We have airlocks at various points in the ship to keep that from happening. But a whole section can be depressurized yes. Just like in real space. All the air would get sucked out of a room if it was open to space. Does it work different on goon station?
Indeed, it goes the rather unrealistic option of the air being more like slime than water when it leaves the station. You can chill a good few minutes in some of the larger rooms with a massive hole in the hull.

Nobody really bothers with patching holes because of that.
If you break a window on a Baystation server, then the whole room gets sucked out. You'll get banged against walls, and have bones broken all over the place. You might even go critical before you start suffocating.
Oh god, that sounds epic yet insane at the same time.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 14, 2011, 09:16:33 pm »

Err. I'm not 100% on the mechanics of that. We have airlocks at various points in the ship to keep that from happening. But a whole section can be depressurized yes. Just like in real space. All the air would get sucked out of a room if it was open to space. Does it work different on goon station?
Indeed, it goes the rather unrealistic option of the air being more like slime than water when it leaves the station. You can chill a good few minutes in some of the larger rooms with a massive hole in the hull.

And that sir, is why I picked Baystation as my server version.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:38 pm »

That you've yet to post the address to. That's like inviting friends over your house with out telling them where it is.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 14, 2011, 09:27:59 pm »

That you've yet to post the address to. That's like inviting friends over your house with out telling them where it is.
I have no idea what the byond://12345.6789.101010:25565:ABCDEFG address is.

Tell me where to find it, and I'll tell you. The server is not up atm, so we can wait.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 14, 2011, 09:31:13 pm »

Like I said. It's not listed any where in game or the byond client window. As the head admin I would expect you to know. Next time you run the game ask some of the people playing. They might know.
I only play legends mode

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 14, 2011, 09:31:57 pm »

Like I said. It's not listed any where in game or the byond client window. As the head admin I would expect you to know. Next time you run the game ask some of the people playing. They might know.
*sigh*
Why would you expect me to know when there is no way to know?

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 14, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »

Because isn't it your server (as in you own it)?
I only play legends mode

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »

I drug up one of my old quotes from a different forum back when we had the goon dev station that looked suspiciously like a vagina.
Quote from: me
I WALK OUT MY DOOR TO MY QUARTERS, HEAD HELD HIGH WITH PRIDE TO BE MET WITH
Fridge Style has been hit by the meteor
KILLBOT  [145.9] states, "Jacob Glover has signed up as Geneticist."
... You can almost hear someone talking ...
Unrecognized or inaccessible verb: sucumb
OOC: Joksu: what the hell??
Fridge Style is holding his breath. It looks like he's trying to commit suicide.
OOC: Cicadalek: in an unrelated matter I just wanna put it out there that meteor sucks and is gay
You have given up life and succumbed to death.
As Cicadalek said, it was Meteor. He probably died at the start of the round too.

Seriously, I walk through my door and get run through by a meteor. It kept pushing me backwards and hitting me again, when it did it pushed me back again... Good times.

Abi79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 15, 2011, 12:55:46 am »

They also tried to give me a week long ban for using the name Slen Der Mann because the admin didn't like the series he came from. I had to complain to the head admin to get that fixed.
As an admin over at Baystation for a year, I just can't believe that. Somebody likely joked with you.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 15, 2011, 01:30:18 am »

You do not 'explode' it, you light it to be a steady fire, in theory.

Saying we get 'power boners' doesn't make you look smart either.

We don't ban for small things, or I don't at least.

Try to not lie about what happens, we like fun, but we don't like stupid fun.

Except you do explode it... sort of. The best way to get it working (as far as I can tell) is to just release a bunch of gas in there, shut off all gas input completely, then ignite it and let it burn. Trying to set the tanks on the side for constant slow input is just madness, you will probably end up overloading since it's so damn touchy. If the fire dies down, just open the valves for 5 - 10 seconds to let more in then shut them off. The side valves are really kind of pointless in general since the big tanks hold plenty for any reasonable length game (unless some derp vents them into space accidentally, yes I've done that)

It's not really a combustion engine at all, I don't even know what it is. The gas should all explode basically instantly if the ratio is correct, but instead it smolders... and also magically burns completely clean with absolutely no byproducts at all which is impossible unless toxin is actually anti-oxygen.

But really, it should just be a nuclear reactor. The though of a combustion engine powered spaceship is.... silly.

As for the rest, the admins don't seem that ban happy to me. I just wish they wouldn't remove all the fun stuff, who cares if we have space weed or paper hats or chemistry that's not nerfed to death?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 15, 2011, 03:26:50 am »

Since abi and spaceman have both weighed in already, I'm going to not bother posting anything of a contribution, other than offer the fact that people LITERALLY ALWAYS exaggerate why they've been banned from BS12. If they've in fact been banned for griefing, they usually say "Yeah I was banned for not talking, STUPID BS12". If you choose to believe that crap then it's your own choice.

Also, Zaphod: Literally none of those incidents you describe seem true, and I'd also note that one way to you know not be able to play on BS12 is to insult admins, we do this for free etc etc.

(Prick)
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 15, 2011, 03:34:10 am »

It's not really a combustion engine at all, I don't even know what it is. The gas should all explode basically instantly if the ratio is correct, but instead it smolders... and also magically burns completely clean with absolutely no byproducts at all which is impossible unless toxin is actually anti-oxygen.

But really, it should just be a nuclear reactor. The though of a combustion engine powered spaceship is.... silly.
I used to love the old plasma heat exchange engine. The shenanigans I pulled with it, turning the entire station to a star at 1 trillion degrees Urist, ah those were the days.

Just so you know, yeah, there are no byproducts, but it isn't impossible for it to burn away clean. For example, a 4h2 + 2o2 reaction would net you an output of 4 H2O, and combusts rather rapidly, explosively in fact. Considering most water disappears rather rapidly, it is possible the byproduct is water, or some other similar end product. (Make the byproduct space lube. Any tile which had a fire on it would be coated with it. Would make fire fighting even funnier.)
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 15, 2011, 04:06:06 am »

I may try to get back on Baystation, there's alot I don't like about the game mechanics there but it remains the best SS13 server I've found. Normally it's pretty serious, but the occasional flight of fancy can be glorious.

My fondest memory of the game comes from a late-night round of Extended. I was playing engineer and determined that what we needed was a proper megaproject to pass the time. Naturally, this would be an off-station pirate radio broadcast satellite. I grabbed tools, all the metal I could find, stole EVA gear and what ultimately became the server's most famous Station Bounced Radio. From there I proceeded to load my plunder and self into a casket and launched my one-man vessel into the endless void of space (this being in the olden days, when "deep space" was an empty looping map accessed by leaving the edges of the station map). I set my radio mic to constant activation and provided insightful commentary on the events of the Station's primary broadcast frequency as I built my humble station.

Shortly thereafter the round ended (something about a curious shortage of metal) but not before I had brought several experienced members of the engineering department over to my cause. Together we conspired to sieze the captaincy and engineering department in the next round.

What followed was a grand heist as my co-conspirators and I went on a wild crime spree, seizing the ship's metal and glass supplies along with a teleporter, several toolkits and all the station's spacesuits. Then we all clowncar-d our way into a single coffin and launched for justice and free radio. Security (who even plays security in extended?) caught on about two minutes after the heist was completed, leading to a grand exchange that ultimately produced the Station Bounced Radio slogan, "CAN'T SHUT ME DOWN G-MAN!"
Within ten minutes, we had a goods reception net aligned with the chapel mass driver, enabling us to receive listener mail and snacks.
Within twenty, a closed room fit for use as a broadcast center and warm enough to sustain firesuit-ed staff members.
Forty minutes in we had a bar and lounge built with leftover materials.
Around the hour mark, the HoS attempted to kill us all with a plasma bomb. Seeing that he had failed to prime the device, we teleported into the ship's bar and stole everything in sight before dropping off the newly-activated bomb to cover our escape.
Near eighty minutes, the captain came over for a visit, bringing with him the station beer cooler and enough atmos tanks to pressurize the station. We welcomed the captain with open arms and assisted him in moving the bridge into the Station Bounced broadcast center by robbing the old bridge of its unique chips. We gave him a regular talkshow.
As the game crept into its second hour the main station began a slow decline, largely caused by the fact that the entire engineering staff was now off-site providing commentary on this Fall's fashion trends and arguing over who had the best chimp impression.
Alas, by the third hour the main station had to be abandoned due to total atmospheric loss and full power failure.

Then I brought it up in OOC before an extended round the next day and was threatened with a ban for doing stupid crap and spamming the radio. That was something of a buzzkill.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:14:33 pm by HLBeta »
... and then it explodes!

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 15, 2011, 05:09:20 am »

Stories of my golden days aside, there's still a great deal about BS12 that I don't like, listed here in approximate order of dislike. Please keep in mind that it's been a few months since I played, so some of this may be out of date.

I hate the NSV Luna map. More than anything else, that persuaded me to stop playing. Playing my preferred job of engineer is an absolute nightmare on that ship. Accessing tools is bizarrely difficult and the complex. In order to get a mechanical toolbox (commonly know as "the useful kind") I have to go up a deck, snake through an oddly bent hallway around the ship's library and walk clear across the station or make a similar trek past the observatory, oddly huge courtroom and a BIG EMPTY ROOM THAT IS ENTIRELY SEALED OFF FROM THE REST OF THE SHIP. The entire medical department has easier access to mechanical toolboxes than engineering! The janitor has one such tool box right in his closet! "Plasma research" has two mechanical toolboxes, and last I checked their only purpose was to be a one-stop shop for traitors. Furthermore, the multi-level setup make repair jobs an absolute nightmare, since wiring faults can occur between levels while remaining almost impossible to locate or fix. Beyond all that, it is far too big. With the relatively low server population, encountering another player by accident almost never happens. It also makes it that much harder for engineering to access or fix problems in a timely manner while letting traitors get up to all kinds of stupid crap.

Airflow is an incredible pain. While blowouts should be scary, a 5kpa pressure difference should produce a bit of wind instead of a bone-pulverizing maelstrom. Since fire actually destroys oxygen instead of substituting some kind of plausible waste gas, minor pressure differentials often develop between damaged rooms and the station as a whole. The resulting gust of wind upon opening a door is often enough to mortally wound any first responders. When I left the game, the most powerful booby boobytrap I knew of was to open a plasma tank and leave an active torch/lighter nearby. The fire would burn out rapidly, but the resultant pressure differential was generally sufficient to kill anyone in the next three rooms as soon as a door opened. This is all made much worse by the fact that airlocks only block atmospheric flow when closed. Spacewalks can easily turn into mass blowouts if you don't work the doors quite right. Combine that fact with the fact that the ship's main exterior airlock connects directly to a major hallway and it becomes trivially easy for a traitor/griefer to murder the entire station or damage the atmospheric balances beyond engineering's ability to fix.

The automated threat containment locks are a major danger to the crew. They all too readily re-activated after being disabled, frequently forcing me to saw through walls in order to access a disaster area. On those rare occasions that I've been inside the hazard zone, the locks have often resulted in the death of my character by trapping me in a room with an easily escaped hazard. While I can think of many cases where the auto-locks have killed crew members I am at a loss to recall even one such occasion where they may be credited with saving the life of one.

Finally, I am sick of the standing admin prohibition against killing traitors for any reason. I do not believe that someone who has murdered crew members and is intent on slaying the remainder should retain their right to live, especially in the heat of combat. Apparently there's some notion of due process, but the one time I bothered holding a trial the resident admin responded by opening a black hole in the courtroom and fussing at me for keeping the traitor restrained. That was the last time I ever played a security position. I've been threatened with bans for killing traitors as an engineer, responding to a blood-covered manic standing over a body with my blowtorch and on one memorable occasion for opening one of the bridge windows in order to kill a traitor who had murdered two people and locked hostages in a nearby room. I can understand barring security from just killing a bound or nonviolent prisoner, but refusing the playerbase the ability to respond to murders with lethal force is unbelievably dumb.

Finally, broken bones are annoying and more difficult to fix than they have any right to be. Combined with airflow issues, they quickly become tremendously unfun and can ruin a round.

EDIT:That and all the weird coding side-projects that have sprung up like broken bones, anomalies and virology without fixing longstanding and annoying bugs like the dysfunctional cloning pods.

And it appears that not only is the wiki poorly edited and out of date, but almost all of the recent changes are stupid keyword ads for online pharmacies.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:14:46 pm by HLBeta »
... and then it explodes!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 166