Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 311193 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #2010 on: April 15, 2012, 02:48:25 pm »

For those that don't follow the C# remake, we just posted a quick and dirty update video. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nMlihQXEBw
I like it, but why would you remove the ability to target eyes? Stabbing out peoples eyes with a screwdriver is essential to ss13.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: April 15, 2012, 03:13:45 pm »

I think lack of eye-targetting is a suitable trade off for working space, isnt it? Plus at some point im sure they'll add eye-melting diseases

EDIT: by 'working space' I mean SPACE...that actually...works
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:17 am »

So is baystation 12 still a thing? All the old sites are down.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 13, 2012, 03:05:36 am »

baystation12.net is up for me
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:57 pm »

EDIT: Sorry for necro, didn't notice the date of the last post.

So, I've been playing SS13 for around two weeks now, mostly on the BS12 server. I'm really loving it, but today I had an interesting situation.

I was playing AI for the third or fourth time. It's great fun, I've got a friendly, semi-sarcastic character that takes comments literally and turns them into jokes. Anyway, the gamemode was secret (I think it turned out to be traitor, but they finished their goals quickly and hung low until the end, which basically meant the mode was extended) and I guess the admins wanted to spice things up a bit. I got a new law that station that only monkeys were crew. This is where I had some trouble.

The laws went something like this:

#$%#Only monkeys are crew.
1. Safeguard: Protect your assigned space station to the best of your ability. It is not something we can easily afford to replace.
2. Serve: Serve the crew of your assigned space station to the best of your abilities, with priority as according to their rank and role.
3. Protect: Protect the crew of your assigned space station to the best of your abilities, with priority as according to their rank and role.
4. Survive: AI units are not expendable, they are expensive. Do not allow unauthorized personnel to tamper with your equipment.

I could have spaced everyone on the station and been completely within my laws to do so, but instead I decided to act like there was an alien infestation on board. Remember, this was one of my first times as AI, so I was still new to everything.

To start with, I stated that multiple non-crewmembers were detected on board. Then I stated that there were 7 crew detected (the remaining monkeys). For about ten minutes, the humans were asking questions and ordering me to do things, but I simply refused because they were no longer considered crew. They obviously got suspicious and the CE tried to enter the upload. I stated that an unathorised access had occured, and locked down the upload with him still inside. There was an engineering cyborg inside putting airlocks everywhere (his choice) and asked to defend the upload with lethal force. I told him to do so, eventually leading to him killing the CE (who was later cloned after someone reset my laws to the default).

I then repeated three times that a possible infestation was occurring, and asked for orders. Since the monkeys couldn't talk, I just said that I was locking down vital locations (Head offices, security, bridge). Someone had managed to get hold of an AI reset module, and they quickly reset my laws. I immediately started following human orders again.

I know I was perfectly within my laws this entire round, but I also know that I could have handled it better and made it more fun for everyone (partially due to the fact that an admin asked me to not 'malf ai' when new laws were added, probably because I was a little aggressive, despite the only death or even injury being the CE).

I love playing AI. It's a job that not many people choose, it's not too complicated, and there's always something to do. It's easy to roleplay too, and your main job is to make sure everyone else has a good time.

My question to you all is: How would you have handled this situation? Would you have simply continued following orders and made sure to preserve the lives of all monkeys, or would you have vented all air from the station and reveled in the dying cries of "AI close airlox we kant brethe!".

One of my first thoughts was to punish humans for harming monkeys, then just follow orders. I felt this was against my laws, though, considering they were no longer crew and were a threat to both the station and my new crew.

Anyway, let me know. I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Also, if you were playing that match, what did you think of my AI'ing?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:55:50 pm by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »

Yeah, I think that lethal defence of monkeys/yourself and otherwise business as usual is a good reaction. You did perfectly fine though.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2016 on: August 06, 2012, 07:30:10 pm »

I might've waited until i saw any monkeys being harmed before declaring the non-crew as hostile, but i think you still did fine.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 06, 2012, 07:43:02 pm »

I might've waited until i saw any monkeys being harmed before declaring the non-crew as hostile, but i think you still did fine.

I didn't declare them hostile, from what I remember. I actually said to the cyborg "No hostile non-crewmembers detected". If I had declared them hostile, they'd all have gone out the airlocks.  :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:01 pm »

Anyone have any tips for playing as emagged borgs on /tg/station servers? I mostly just used my electric arm on people, removed their headsets and watched as my master strangled the life out of them.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 07, 2012, 03:58:24 pm »

I forget what emagging does. Does it give you malicious laws, unbind you from the AI or just put a 0th law about taking orders from the emagger?

Unless it's the first, or the third and you're told to kill, I don't think you're obliged to kill anyone.

If you do have to kill, then if you're engineering you are pretty much the most well equipped fighter on the station.
Janitorborgs can slip people up.
The rest do whatever they do but violently.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 08, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »

If you're a standard borg you get an e-sword. Standard borg is absolute best emagged/AI hacked borg imo, as it can deal with any threat without humans.
Crowbar opens unpowered doors, Fire Extinguisher allows you to not fall into space, Stun Baton allows combat, Wrench allows dismantling of chairs that you're buckled to, and the e-sword tops it off with one of the most deadly melee weapons around.
When rogue borg, always go to disable the borg control console in the RD's office, always. If you're engineering, space the circuit board. Wipe R&D consoles to ensure another can't be built, and space the one in tech storage, too.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 08, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »

Hmmm, would that be meta? Should a cyborg know the location of all the circuit boards on the map?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 08, 2012, 06:17:02 pm »

Anyone else like playing as chemist then setting up a drug lab in a maintenance tunnel and selling space drugs? It's fun amassing tens of thousands.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 08, 2012, 07:40:37 pm »

I tried to play as an unscrupulous quartermaster out to make a buck before. I think that was on goon station though, so the station exploded before I could make any proper shady deals. The one downside of goon. You can't really get into complicated roles in time before the station goes to hell and the round ends.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 08, 2012, 08:33:51 pm »

I like Baystation 12 more.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 166