Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 310741 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1410 on: September 15, 2011, 07:28:26 pm »

They banned Tirist Plot (AmnestyInternational) when he blew up both of his targets and most of the important crew. I was like, "That's so badass", but no he was banned. I would like the game more if the syndicate had a license to kill whomever.

Not if everyone died 10 minutes into every round. People generally find playing more fun if they can play, which they can't do while dead.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 15, 2011, 07:34:01 pm »

They banned Tirist Plot (AmnestyInternational) when he blew up both of his targets and most of the important crew. I was like, "That's so badass", but no he was banned. I would like the game more if the syndicate had a license to kill whomever.

Not if everyone died 10 minutes into every round. People generally find playing more fun if they can play, which they can't do while dead.

I would want it to be used sparingly. But the possibilty should still be there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 15, 2011, 07:34:25 pm »

See, I wanted to play SS13 from the moment I heard about it until I realized that pretty much everything consists of either random violence and destruction, random banning (or banning for doing something that negatively affected the admin or the admin's friends), and constant bitching about everything.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 15, 2011, 07:36:02 pm »

Tis why rounds were originally designed to last < 1hr, and in the event of mass deaths, even less then that

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 15, 2011, 07:37:01 pm »

People need to not get bent out of shape because they died in a round based game. There's absolutely no point of having bombs if admins will ban traitors for successfully using them.
I remember not even that long ago that I played a traitor on Baystation, the round was much like a classic 'little indians' style thing, where my first kill was my target and the body was discovered. I picked off the crew one by one whenever someone was on the trail, always doing my best to cover my tracks and get off the station alive, roleplaying a traitor the way a traitor would actually think (That is, not having any regard for other people because that's freaking retarded and it's retarded that that would be the norm.). At the end I escaped with the only person left alive, the person who probably trusted me the most, and I revealed to them how it all went down. They roleplayed having a heart attack and dying, and there was like one person who was pissed off in OOC.
Last time I played traitor on baystation I killed one person other than my target and I was yelled at all round by admins in adminhelp. Completed my objectives with nobody suspecting me and there was one person who applauded me in OOC.
See, I wanted to play SS13 from the moment I heard about it until I realized that pretty much everything consists of either random violence and destruction, random banning (or banning for doing something that negatively affected the admin or the admin's friends), and constant bitching about everything.  ::)
That's not really true. There's very much potential for high levels of fun and story development but things vary a lot in quality.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 15, 2011, 07:42:07 pm »

People need to not get bent out of shape because they died in a round based game.

That's not what I said. If you go into something expecting it to last an hour or two and it ends after 10 minutes, you would probably be disappointed.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 15, 2011, 08:01:23 pm »

You might, but really, sometimes you have to have somebody be disappointed for the game to continue

SS13 (and BS12 too) started out as primarily a game of one traitor vs a group of other players
Playercounts were 8-15ish on average, rounds lasted about 1- 1.5 hours.
Everyone had a fair chance of being the traitor.

The traitors job was to cause panic and disasters, the primary ways of doing this were bombing the station, and killing people.
The main traitor objective was never actually the hard part to accomplish, it was always causing people to call the shuttle.

On average, when the shuttle got called, about 4 people would leave on it, often less if the traitor had an escape alone objective.

Look at that number: 4, how many people died during the course of the round ?, The fun was surviving each disaster. You could always do something better.
Sure it sucked to be the first to die, but 40 minutes later you were back, and likely would last longer.

The point is, for SS13 to be fun, there needs to be deaths, and not a small number either. Dying in a round where you are the only victim and now you are stuck observing a boring round is much worse then dying and watching a game of cat and mouse with murder, suffocation, and massive explosions.

I think BS12 lost the plot went they decided that keeping deaths to a minimum is a fun move.
For a place named after bay12 and dwarfern mayhem, I don't think it lives up to its name

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:17 pm »

Yeah, from the way you guys describe it, it sounds like an elven station, all that peace. The only thing truly dwarven on that station is the ticking timebomb engine.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 15, 2011, 08:09:00 pm »

There should be a balance between the deaths and...not dying in my opinion. If every dies quite easily, then there's no time for people to actually do the things they want to do, like building, chemistry experiments, ect.

Keeping deaths to a minimum is definitely not in the spirit of the game, however, nor is it fun. All the crazy deaths are what kept me playing SS13 for so long.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 15, 2011, 08:14:59 pm »

There should be a balance between the deaths and...not dying in my opinion. If every dies quite easily, then there's no time for people to actually do the things they want to do, like building, chemistry experiments, ect.

Keeping deaths to a minimum is definitely not in the spirit of the game, however, nor is it fun. All the crazy deaths are what kept me playing SS13 for so long.
I did go a bit overboard on the description of the deaths, but quite frankly, after playing BS12 and not dying while standing around for 3-4hrs... I began to wonder

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:50 pm »

I did go a bit overboard on the description of the deaths, but quite frankly, after playing BS12 and not dying while standing around for 3-4hrs... I began to wonder
...How do you even have a round that lasts for 4 hours that isn't a casual playground run in the middle of the night?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 15, 2011, 08:29:15 pm »

6 hour rounds are quite common. They play rounds some times (extended no less) for up to ten hours some times.

I really just want a server that has good rp, a little silly (not goon) and a good community.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:20 pm »

...I seem to be catching wind that this is more a BS12 topic. Oh well, nowhere else to discuss SS13.
=====
Disarm is overpowered.

Here I am, a syndicate, a walking army, energy swords, guns, revolvers, the whole 9 yards (note: this was the dev station/vagina station) and I see some assistant with a toolbox robusting a fellow syndicate outside Medical. I decide to e-sword the punk, I charge him with my sword powered.

I get in range, he pushes me down instantly and picks up my backpack + sword. I manage to get up and run like hell before he gets me. I was left basically defenseless, my standard suit with an agent card, e-mag and toxins pill. The same assistant caught me off guard and filled me with holes while I was lagging.

On the opposite end of my luck, a guard was about to arrest me for killing the Captain (I was a traitor)
"lolnope" *pushes down*
He was never heard from again.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:40 pm »

i hear that tgstaion is ok in terms of a balance between chaos and rp and the community isint the worst out there.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 15, 2011, 09:11:34 pm »

I played tgstation a bit for the first time the other day. I love the little things like the library and the food/drink variety (and the map is pretty huge, which I dig) but it was unbearably laggy, even by SS13 standards. Haven't played enough to comment on the community, but I didn't get randomly beat with a toolbox or anything. (I did eat something weird in the bar and die, though, in true SS13 fashion.)
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 166