Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 310824 times)

Abi79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1350 on: September 05, 2011, 02:04:12 pm »

Would that C# code be open sourced, Gara-nis? Will the stuff binded to Lua be the only moddable part?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 05, 2011, 02:46:02 pm »

Would that C# code be open sourced, Gara-nis? Will the stuff binded to Lua be the only moddable part?

This is what I'd be most interested in. I know in the past you guys have been quite nice about sharing important code bits with others, but then again, you also haven't open sourced the Baystation code, either.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 05, 2011, 02:58:26 pm »

Yes they did. Just recently.

Abi79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 05, 2011, 02:59:20 pm »

This is what I'd be most interested in. I know in the past you guys have been quite nice about sharing important code bits with others, but then again, you also haven't open sourced the Baystation code, either.

Just to clear this up, the guys doing the C# project are separate from those of us at Baystation. We're doing our own C++ with Lua port of SS13.

As for the Baystation code, we've got a few snapshots at https://code.google.com/p/baystation12/
They aren't very recent, but I maintain that and I'll update in a bit, when I get some more free time. :)

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 05, 2011, 03:07:15 pm »

Yeah, good job of reading anything other than this one page, Mr.Person.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 05, 2011, 04:22:30 pm »

We're not planning on releasing the c# source code to either the client or the server, no. The modding/scripting interface will be designed to let you access most aspects of the game to create new objects and gameplay mechanics. This of course comes after the main game is coded and complete, which it isn't, and won't be for a good long while.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 05, 2011, 09:22:22 pm »

For some reason, it just... I don't know why, but it... To me, it just looks TERRIBLE. Something about the art, or maybe playing too much of the first... it just doesn't really fit...

I don't like the art either, I'm just hoping they add some cool new features.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 05, 2011, 09:25:57 pm »

Well about to play this for my first time ever from what I have seen its fun, but hard to stay alive.

What station did you play on? I play on /tg/ and almost never die.

Or rather never die until the admins decide to end the round, then it is really up in the air what will happen.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 06, 2011, 04:43:27 am »

I think Adwarf was an engineer... On the server I play, that's like a death sentence. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 08, 2011, 02:43:54 am »

Hm.. to the devs of the other port, I think this discussion from our forums is worth sharing.

Quote from: kalanosh
I know the urge to have your own creation to come to fruition, but also what this project means for the evolution of SS13. Why can't we or their team over at Robust work together for the same goal? Combine coding powers and resources? Just curious if this has been contemplated or approached/

Quote from: CompactNinja
Kinda late. C/I has been in the works for a while now. I don't think turning to CIB and and telling bugger all the work he has done is the best of ideas.

Quote from: CIB
Actually, I'd agree. If we have anywhere near the same goals, it'd be best to maximize chances of success and combine forces. My work wouldn't go to waste either, since I've made a lot of experience on which solutions are helpful and which aren't.

... However, since they want to go closed source, I do not believe this is an option. They probably have their own ideas and want to keep a firm grip on the thing. Also, our ideas diverge starting where we, since we like roleplay, prefer small and less detailed icons and a huge dedicated text area. I don't think we can work together unless they either open source or are willing to compromise.

I think this is relevant for you in the sense that.. I think you believe that anything other coders would want to do is to mod high-level aspects of the game. I don't believe this is true - There are many skilled programmers who play and love SS13 and would program for it as a hobby. For this reason, our plan for the port was to keep the base engine that includes rendering and basic networking closed, and to make the game running on top of it open source.

If you do not want to go with this approach, then this is your decision and I don't want to bug you about it. However, you must then also accept that your project can not possibly superceed the BYOND version - We from BS12 and possibly also other SS13 communities will prefer to stick with the BYOND version until we have developed our own.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:25 pm »

Ok so I started playing space station 13, I'm hooked. I pretty much only play on Bay station 12 because I like the strong RP and that they avoid the silly stuff like shit and piss. But over time I became disenchanted from that server because of the community. Most of them are ass holes. I got threatened with a ban once because I used the captains laser (I was the captain). Another time because I made a joke over the radio about the traitor when he was being held at gun point. I said "shoot his ego"!
Immediate threats of bans ensued.

You ask a question in ooc or on the forums and get an insult. Suggest a game improvement, get insults. Post, get insults. Witch really baffels me because BS12 is an extension of the DF community. Every one here is so helpful and nice (for the most part).
So I'm looking for a new sever along the same line as BS12 with a different community.

I tried TG station, but it was to crowded and chaotic. I got beat up as the janitor for cleaning graffiti. Then mugged and killed. In front of like 5 people. None of them did any thing.
Goon station is not serious enough for my tastes.

I know there are bunch of unlisted servers out there.

Any suggestions?

In short I'm looking for a server that offers:
    *Promotes Role play
    *Avoids the silliness of things like the goon station
    *Still can have fun
    *A decent community.

If you don't know what space station 13 is, check it out.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:00 pm »

Second round I play after coming back, I'm a syndie.

I flip my shit when I realize you can't buy energy swords on the goonstation anymore, then just cut my losses and went with an e-mag instead. I went to the disk ASAP, over at Zeta. I e-magged the artifact research exterior airlock open and saw the Captain right there by the window, we both draw our guns and shoot, I hit him first and insta-KO'd him (what, when did that happen?!) and dragged him out the airlock.

The round lasted no longer than about 5 minutes. No resistance at all. When I passed by the bridge (which had another syndie kicking the shit out of the HoP and a giant hole in the window) I get a "NICE" from the other syndie and we fly back to the shuttle together. The other 3 hadn't even left the shuttle yet.

Fun times.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 14, 2011, 07:15:51 pm »

I wish Baystation 12 would be less strict/weird. I like the RPing elements of it, but yesterday the admin got all pissed at me because my character, along with Cindy Robertson became monkeys, and "annoyed others" when all we did was go to the kitchen area and get attacked by a chef with a rolling pin, who dumped our I.D.'s and continued to chase us around, with us unable to leave. After finally escaping we tried to break into hydroponics for food, and were chased some more. Finally after hiding by the chapel we heard this get broadcast over the radio, "Kill the Monkeys", so naturally when the HoP came at us with cuffs we kncoked him out and cuffed him. Later when we were still cuffed, with no way to communicate (though I had a monkey>human injector) the admin started asking me why I was annoying people, when I tried to answer he asked me another question, while trying to answer the first one, he asked the second question repeatedly as I tried to explain how we weren't trying to annoy people. I think most of the Admins are pretty chill, but I swear that guy gets some kind of weird power boner from his job.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 14, 2011, 07:34:04 pm »

I wish Baystation 12 would be less strict/weird. I like the RPing elements of it, but yesterday the admin got all pissed at me because my character, along with Cindy Robertson became monkeys, and "annoyed others" when all we did was go to the kitchen area and get attacked by a chef with a rolling pin, who dumped our I.D.'s and continued to chase us around, with us unable to leave. After finally escaping we tried to break into hydroponics for food, and were chased some more. Finally after hiding by the chapel we heard this get broadcast over the radio, "Kill the Monkeys", so naturally when the HoP came at us with cuffs we kncoked him out and cuffed him. Later when we were still cuffed, with no way to communicate (though I had a monkey>human injector) the admin started asking me why I was annoying people, when I tried to answer he asked me another question, while trying to answer the first one, he asked the second question repeatedly as I tried to explain how we weren't trying to annoy people. I think most of the Admins are pretty chill, but I swear that guy gets some kind of weird power boner from his job.

I was playing that round. I was telling people to leave you alone over the radio.

Yes ALL the admins get a giant power boner from being an admin.

I like strong RP but that dosen't mean I have to be super serious all the time. I like to fun when I play a game. If I didn't then it wouldn't be a game.

I find BS12 to serious but I cant find any other servers that are serious enough.

Post good sever addresses please.

They also tried to give me a week long ban for using the name Slen Der Mann because the admin didn't like the series he came from. I had to complain to the head admin to get that fixed.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:37:20 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 14, 2011, 07:36:14 pm »

Do you play as Zaphod and Slen Der Mann? Also, if not clear, I feel the same way, that server is getting on my nerves.
I think it could use more game modes to, I'm not sure what though.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:39:24 pm by Urist Mcinternetuser »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 166