Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 310846 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #1320 on: August 07, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »

I was talking about when someone broke into the site and leaked the entire BS12 BYOND source.

And then the forums were edited to remove all acknowledgement of the breach except for misinformation (like testimonials of the file being virus-ridden and heavily encrypted.)

(I belive they mentioned several years of brute-force time... For a .gzip containing a .zip without the extension containing a GIT snapshot of the source.)

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 23, 2011, 07:22:34 pm »

Okay, I have been trying to get into this game the past two days but I just have no idea what the whole point of the game is. I have read the wiki, read the rules of the server I am on, and I only have a vague understanding of how the game is supposed to work. I usually start off as an engineer and I know that the main duty is to start up the singularity. But then what? I am not taking any of the more major roles due to the fact I still have no idea what the whole point of the game is. Are you not allowed to kill/attack unless it is in self defense or you are assigned the role which allows you to do so? Like a traitor or security or whatever. I have no idea how to get some of the more advanced weaponry and items in the game. I had an easier time getting into Dwarf Fortress. Yeesh.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 23, 2011, 08:15:02 pm »

The basic premise is you are roleplaying a crewmember on a ship/station [its a ship if your on the bay12 server]. Everyone is furfilling their roles, In traitor rounds, there is a traitor who pretty much has a licence to kill/maim and explode everything, although doing so when its not your 'mission' is kinda stupid, as your risking getting caught for nothing.
The point is basically to enjoy the whole 'being on a ship/station' and having to deal with the various enjoyable experiences that provides.. and the various crises that likely arise. As a engineer your enjoyment is supposed to come from Keeping the ship running, patches up any holes that appear when traitors bomb the place, keeping the ship powered via the engine, fixing up the microwave when the chef stuck a knife in there by accident and turned it on.. ect..
Security staff and perhaps the HoP and Captain [and the traitor(s)] should be the only one with weapons.. although a fire-extinguisher or toolbox is quite the weapon in both real life or the game should you bash someones head with it [although the security staff likely have helmets].

Security staff should never, ever kill someone unless thats the only way to save their own lives, the lives of others, or after a convicted criminal has been captured and is being executed (although we dont really do that anymore, because we have a prison shuttle that takes them away).
In reality The only one who should be actively trying to kill people, is the traitor(s). If you killed someone in self-defence, you may or may not get away with it.. depending on the circumstances you may end up in jail yourself.. And if you killed someone without a good enough reason you might get banned by a admin (and thats pretty much every reason except self-defence, being the traitor or some really insanely good RP reasons... and if its the later you better admin-help it before you do it)

You can message the admins on at any time privately via the admin help command.

Also, there really isnt that much in the way of weaponry, given its a research ship/station.. Theres just stun-weapons mostly (which double as blunt weapons if you really want), and a few actual lethal weapons in the hands of say, the head of security, HoP, captain... Also there may be a armory thats kept under lock and key for emergencies... which you will likely never see used.
oh, theres bombs though. Since some of the research is on plasma, and the ability to harness it for a energy source (say the engine), so the plasma researchers could make bombs, and the traitor can *acquire* them via his syndicate link.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: September 02, 2011, 03:03:51 am »

No one is online now... :o

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: September 02, 2011, 05:50:28 am »

That happens quite frequently in my timezone. Generally you'll find people playing after around 4pm GMT.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: September 04, 2011, 08:32:46 pm »

Okay, so here's the deal. A couple of the old coders (Ostaf, Spoogemonster, Keelin, Supernorn etc.) have been working on a little project recently, and this project is a total rewrite of Space Station 13, written in C# and DirectX, built from the ground up. We've shown a few screens here and there in the channel but nothing really 'official' so far until now.

We're aiming to maintain most of the core elements which make up the original, but this will basically be a total overhaul of the clunky interface, it'll remove all of the unresponsive lag and generally it'll look a bit prettier too!

The game is currently stable and playable, although as of yet this is not much to do. The majority of the base engine (mobs, atoms, networking, atmos, lighting etc.) is mostly complete, however the game currently lacks many items / objects / features the original had.

Here are some in-game screenshots of what it currently looks like. This is from a pre-alpha build very early in development. We've only been working on this for 2-3 months or so but making progress quite steadily.

Here's a concept for what we're planning on doing for the GUI interface:

Our objective is to implement all of the features and improvements listed below:

* Atmospheric gas system
* Dynamic Lighting
* Totally overhauled interface and GUI
* Fully destructable station
* Realistic organ based health simulation
* Individual job based player objectives
* Robust combat system (2.0)
* Jobs: AI / Captain / Head of Personnel / Security / Geneticist / Engineer / Atmospheric Technician / Medical / Chemist / Toxin Scientist / Roboticist / Janitor / Assistant
* Game Modes: Traitor / Nuclear / Revolution / Malfunction / Science & Industry

In addition, we plan to have full animated movement on most of the 2D art (player animations, sliding doors etc), along with the use of pixel shaders and particles to generate in-game effects.

We've got a forum set up at: http://www.spacestation13.com/ so we'll probably post further updates on there and in our channel #spacestation13 on synIRC. And we've also got a twitter set up @RobustGames so follow us there if you want.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:03:44 pm by Gara-nis »

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: September 04, 2011, 09:18:04 pm »

Mind = Blown

Never thought I'd see an actual non-byond SS13 that, you know, actually had a chance of existing. Magnificent work and no seriously this is amazing.
I'm surprised just how nice it looks.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: September 04, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »

Holy shit, I'm looking forward to it.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: September 04, 2011, 09:50:36 pm »

Cool. 8)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: September 04, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »

Looks great.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: September 04, 2011, 11:21:23 pm »

... Holy shit.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: September 04, 2011, 11:58:27 pm »

I Can't wait.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: September 05, 2011, 12:33:02 am »

The important thing to most of us is - Will you be allowing others to run their own servers?  Although that looks awesome, I don't see myself leaving my current SS13 community to play on a C# server run by Goons if it's going to be Goonstation 2.0.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: September 05, 2011, 12:54:34 am »

This looks promising. My only request is that derelict mode gets a bit more love this time around. Playing something that engineering heavy would be wonderful once the hurdles of crummy atmos code and bizarre starting equipment allocation are overcome.
... and then it explodes!

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: September 05, 2011, 02:43:31 am »

The important thing to most of us is - Will you be allowing others to run their own servers?  Although that looks awesome, I don't see myself leaving my current SS13 community to play on a C# server run by Goons if it's going to be Goonstation 2.0.

I agree with this.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 166