Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy fire bug fix  (Read 789 times)

dudemauler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easy fire bug fix
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:52:56 pm »

You know that annoying fire bug? the one that makes dwarves ignore it?

Fire should count as grime, because then the dwarf will go wash the fire off!
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.
Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Easy fire bug fix
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:05:59 pm »

... Except I don't think that water actually puts fires out now, either, and that the damage fires do doesn't stop until the dwarf is dead.

In fact, what is REALLY needed is not for dwarves to try to put themselves out once they are on fire, but rather for dwarves to recognize that fire is BAD, and that they shouldn't walk into a fire to loot the smoldering lump of charcoal that was their best friend so that they can loot his pickaxe.

That is to say, dwarves should start treating a fire the way they treat a dangerous animal or enemy soldier - by running away from a fire, rather than into a fire.  In fact, having dwarves panic and run directly away from a fire, ignoring much common sense, the way they do with dangerous animals currently, would be a pretty good overall fix, not just a "quick" one.

The only reason I would forsee that it wouldn't work out so well trying that idea would be if each individual object that is on fire then starts making line-of-sight checks to every seeing creature until it starts significantly impacting performance in very major fires.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare