Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Toadwater: Where you can use your poo!  (Read 14026 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toadwater: Where you can use your poo!
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2010, 11:39:16 pm »

Due to the fact that on IRC one of the admins wasn't rude (I felt that they were polite, but they claim otherwise...), I relented and used my Gmail, hours ago.
You're thinking about [twisti].
The other ones are fine. :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2010, 12:51:41 am »

Due to the fact that on IRC one of the admins wasn't rude (I felt that they were polite, but they claim otherwise...), I relented and used my Gmail, hours ago.
I don't understand this sentence at all. I mean... what? It might be me, but I can't seem to get it to make sense. Could you rephrase it?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2010, 12:56:06 am »

He wanted to use hotmail, and wasn't going to join because he couldn't. He also heard that the admins were evil.
When he learned the admins weren't evil, he decided to join anyways.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2010, 01:01:45 am »

The disparity in the art styles is really jarring buuutt it looks like it's also moddable? Maybe we could tinker with making something a little more appealing to the eyes.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2010, 01:27:38 am »

Ahhhh, I understand now.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2010, 01:38:34 am »

http://image.bayimg.com/banlgaacf.jpg Here's what I got so far, not really satisfied with the character or ground but this was mostly just a quick test with RPGMaker assets to see how it would look :P Much better IMO, all sharing one art style. Maybe some dorf tileset would work better though.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2010, 01:40:11 am »

Yeah, the art style of ground and trees+crops doesn't match.

Something pixelarty would be awesome :)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2010, 01:42:27 am »

Perhaps a community pixel art pack is in order. I'm not very good myself

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2010, 01:50:59 am »

I'd try, but I'm not that great at pixel art.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2010, 12:10:53 pm »

We could use an expanded DF tileset.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »

We could use an expanded DF tileset.
DF has only what...4 kinds of trees?
I thought about this though.
Also, 9x9 pixels don't stretch to giagantor images very well.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »

Maybe a collaboration with various members here to make a kick ass game like this one?
Probably no move meter and shit like that? Open source?

Sounds like a liable thing to do!
I can't code nor can I do graphics, I am very interested in helping with story setups/world creation though!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2010, 05:36:03 pm »

If we did, I say that we should strive for something vastly different, both in gameplay and visuals, from the start. Don't want to let someone accidentally believe that we are imitating their game like what happened with dwarfed...

Underground moss farming, tower caps, have to dig out surrounding space, smoothed floors don't hurt but have growth penalties, engravings give a happy thought bonus when rested on, overwork leads to madness without sufficient time for happy thoughts, madness leads to jail time(with a standard "time passes" prompt, but over in an instant), too many and you risk death, but making an artifact will negate one jailing... Above ground you can find actual trees, and plants, but unhappy thoughts and no moss/ore, neglected floors eventually "cave in", becoming rock again. Toss in some unrealism that benefits gameplay with growing gems in rock, some gems only to harvest, others because they cause passive bonuses to nearby floors, then expand that into certain gems cause the growth of special, though mostly worthless mosses, and you have a crude imitation of alchemy at a macro level... Maybe you can still use your poo, but only to fertilize mushrooms and above-ground stuff... Cultivating certain gems to boost the chance of certain ores coming from that floor when it next caves in... A gem will morph into the next level if given sufficient quantities of it's produced ore...

Of course, the real challenge would be keeping it unique. So, I reccomend that a tool's quality would affect the quality of produced objects, walking is a free action (available anytime, though enhanced by wearing appropriate shoes)... Needs traps, to keep intruders out. Player hit with trap loses sanity and flees to surface, if the trap is more powerful to overcome random chance and their armour bonus. Time to be kept in dwarven standard, of #cats produced in one day by a single mother cat to replace the second, number of seconds before a kitten grows up to the hour, and minutes placed in the middle to give the same number of minutes in an hour as seconds in a minute

By donating money, you can purchase the seeds and resources that can produce the products otherwise only available to purchase from elf caravans...

However, that is just a rambling parody, so if you really are serious, try to make something unique, and not just shoving toadwater and DF together in a way that compliments neither and infringes heavily on both like those paragraphs above do.
Eh?
Eh!

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2010, 06:27:36 pm »

Maybe a collaboration with various members here to make a kick ass game like this one?
Probably no move meter and shit like that? Open source?

Sounds like a liable thing to do!
I can't code nor can I do graphics, I am very interested in helping with story setups/world creation though!

It sounds like fun, but the thing is, my experience coding tells me that networking code is a pain in the ass. The only way I could think of it working reasonably easily would be to start with a base like BYOND, and I really, really hate BYOND's interface and limitations... >.>

I am a coder though, and I have a fair bit of free time, so who knows, I may eventually get around to taking a shot at it. I'd want to code in either C++ or C#, though. Those are the only two languages I've actually completed projects in. I'm a bit more familiar with C++, but windows forms stuff is SO much easier in C#... I've used and like Python, but it doesn't seem suitable for any sort of real-time game.  Also, I'm not sure what languages you guys are actually familiar with yourselves. Discussion would be cool at some point, though probably in another thread. Wouldn't want to derail this one too much.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2010, 07:07:07 pm »

Toadwater uses a *php* server page. It is evidently more of a viewer than a full client.

Also, the programming languages used are generally irrelevant: The server must have TCP and database, the client must have TCP and graphics. They don't need to use the same language, as long as they can communicate. {almost any language that has ever been used by a webserver to generate some of a page} and a web browser already do that very well.

For a more advanced approach, have a client that has some or all of the game simulation within itself, and have it simulate things while occasionally synchronizing with the server...

After some testing, the server's page is at

www.toadwater.com/TFiles/serv.php

And it communicates through well packed HTTP. HTTP is far from the best data format if you want efficient use of space. It is also *very* open to proxies that record incoming/outgoing packets to text files...

However, it *does* let you use practically any inexpensive web host to host your game...

Wow, they are cheap. Design an online multiplayer game to run on any PHP-enabled host, so that it only costs (random number: 5)$ a month to keep the game running?

Although, it is a creative way to do it...
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8