Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Funerals  (Read 695 times)

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Funerals
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:40:10 am »

When a dwarf dies and is buried, his friends and family could declare a party-like event at his grave, with the job Attend Funeral. Spouses, siblings, parents, and descendants would cluster closely around the casket and exercise Consoler, Pacifier, and Liar. More distant friends and acquaintances would form an outer layer, exercising Conversationalist, Observer, and Comedian. Some non-relations might attend if they are very close to a dwarf in the inner circle. Interrupting a funeral would disrupt the grieving process (unhappy thoughts, random chance of doing a Mourning job for several more months), but letting it go through to completion would partially mitigate the impact of the death. Attendees would seek out and equip darkly-dyed clothing beforehand if any is available. A new Undertaker noble both hosts the event and inters the remains. Once religions are implemented, a priest from the deceased's cult would attend and perform the job Deliver Eulogy.

This could increase narrative depth and immersion by treating the passing of a dwarf as more significant both socially and in terms of game mechanics. Instead of only either shrugging it off or smashing something (both still possibilities depending on temperament, I guess), they can also have a little ceremony to help one another cope. The player's sentimental attachments might be satisfied as well (and I think newbies would be pretty impressed the first time they watched it).

From a game balance perspective, the cost to the player is the same as a party (unavailability of arbitrary dwarves for productive jobs), but it's triggered by deaths rather than idleness, and wouldn't be as easily cancelled. I suppose a clustering of freshly-unhappy dwarves would also present a risk of fights breaking out, so this should encourage players to build obscenely ornate crypts. It probably shouldn't happen for every death, especially for small forts, friendless corpses, or large massacres.

(Cue Footkerchief with links to the previous suggestions threads that I could not find... :) )

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Funerals
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 02:17:44 pm »

Hmm... Actually, I was a little dissatisfied with the way that funerals were treated in the game, myself, although it was mostly with the way that I considered coffin-burial to be fairly space-inefficient and wasteful, plus not really "Dwarven" enough, so I came up with a dwarfier way of doing things...  (I believe the point of the burial system right now is an artifact of a desire to create a "the dead rise again" event in DF...)

That is, carve a funeral chamber out of obsidian, along with the coffin and other furniture or statues (as need be), and when they are buried, and all their things are put to rest with them, the chamber would be magma-flooded and then hit with water to make obsidian.

The funeral chamber could then be carved out once again, and portions of that burial chamber could become the next coffin and furniture, while other portions of the obsidian (theoretically containing the ashes of the dwarf in question) could be carved into statues in their likeness that could line the great halls of the fortress.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »

Can't we already magma/water the funeral chamber?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:21:19 pm »

Interesting. I would like funerals to be expanded on.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 03:00:27 pm »

Can't we already magma/water the funeral chamber?

Yes.  I was just saying what I wound up doing back in 16d.

I was trying to say that it would be nice if the other dwarves would have these sorts of funerary parties, and also allow for alternative forms of funerals (essentially, cremation) as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 11:50:47 am »

great sugestion, i suport it

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:14:14 am »

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."