Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress size/depth  (Read 1472 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Fortress size/depth
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:08:05 am »

I've been playing DF for maybe three weeks, now, so.... still a relative newbie. I've gone through at least a dozen forts, which I abandoned generally after the third wave of immigrants (like that one time 32 immigrants arrived in a single wave, to join my existing 9 :o ). The fort I'm currently playing is currently in summer of it's third year, the longest any have survived so far (due largely in part to the fact that approximately 25 migrants met the bottom of my Atom Smasher.)

This is also my first fort to ever breach the second cavern level- I've made it to the 4th and starting mining adamantine, also a first- but my fortress itself only spans 1 z-level.

This isn't what I usually do, I just wanted to see if I could maintain a fortress on one z-level. My population is currently 36 stout dwarfs, and anywhere between 10-21 of them are being considered as test subjects for my new and improved atom smasher super Fun activities.

My question is: How large/populated does your fortress usually get? And, at what milestones?
Feel free to answer that question and ignore the rant which follows it, if you so desire.  ;)

My 36 dwarfs have a 6-man military which is largely ineffective due to their lack of desire to equip their weapons, although I'm hoping some adamantine armor (which is in the works) will even their chances... assuming they equip it. However, I've not yet had one bad thing happen to my fortress. I realize that not every fort will be a Boatmurdered, but the worst things to happen were a one-time raid by some monkeys, who were put down by a single, newly-drafted wrestler, and a gremlin that my "proficient" miner killed before I even managed to notice it.

This is because I haven't traded anything, right? I haven't needed anything from the caravans except a few bags, but otherwise I've been self-sufficient. The other cause is my low-population, but I find that killing the immigrants is better than the alternative. If I let them live, they sit around drinking all my booze because I can't find anything for them to do.

As my population increases, I find the only thing I'm doing to take the larger numbers into account is either making a military which comprises 75% of my population, or making them all miners/carpenters to make more housing. I've probably only actually built 1 out of every 10 things in the game, because there has never been any problem requiring them. An excellent example is the butcher's shop- I've never had so many dwarfs (even when I didn't kill all the migrants) that I couldn't feed them with a farm or two. My population of 36 is living off a single farm, and we've got 500 spare plump helmets in our stockpile.

Sorry if I sound whiny, but I've been taking in all the information I can off the forum/wiki, and I get the impression I'm "playing the game wrong", by which I mean I'm not experiencing all it has to offer.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress size/depth
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:18:41 am »

If you want to reduce the number of immigrants per wave, turn off the economy in the init file. This will stop your fortress wealth influencing the number of immigrants.

As for challenges, there's a page on the wiki devoted to this topic. Personally I make play interesting by challenging myself to prevent any members of the trade caravan from dieing, to play without ever cutting down a single tree, to make beds only out of tower cap wood, to never use a farm to feed my fort, to prevent any dwarf from dieing in my fort, and to meet all noble mandates. I find this sufficient to make the game challenging enough to be enjoyable. My population usually hovers between 50-100.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:59 am »

If you want to reduce the number of immigrants per wave, turn off the economy in the init file. This will stop your fortress wealth influencing the number of immigrants.

I've played with economy off since... ever, and still had immigrant waves of 39 and more. Yes, in 31.08, too. In my experience, there is no reliable way to reduce the amount of immigrants you get.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:46:50 am »

Sounds like you're pretty on track with most DF players, really.   You're not 'playing it wrong' at all, you just have a better understanding of the game now.    In reality, once you climb the 'learning brick wall' (it's not a curve), DF is a very simple game.  Hole yourself off, farm your food, brew your drinks, and keep your population small and you can almost play forever and never lose a fort.   There's a challenge to get to making a good fort, but once you have the basics down, it's pretty simple under 'normal' circumstances.

At some point, that becomes really boring.

Most of dwarf fortress, both in terms of in game and out of game challenges exist to just make your life more challenging.  That's why you have people embarking on haunted glaciers, or living above ground or (as crazy as it sounds) trying to keep their nobles happy.

The economy, nobles, megabeasts, strange moods, caverns, sieges are all just opportunities to make the basic game harder and more memorable. 

You probably don't need 800 of the 1110 pages on the wiki to play DF...but the more of them you add the more chaotic it gets.  Boatmurdered was only boatmurdered because they threw in things they absolutely did not need to have a 'successful' fort. 

As for your question about milestones.  Personally I just let my fortress grow as fast as it wants to.  My current one is 91 dwarves about 6 years in.   Sometimes I have 20-40 idlers but overall I try to keep them busy with projects and wall building.  I'm trying to build a giant cistern over my entrance now to store lava assuming I can make my 32 level pump stack work.  Or for the hell of it I just make all my idlers plant gatherers and send them you to strip the plains bare.  I like the challenge of keeping more dwarves happy and fed, myself.  Plus more dwarves mean more chances for random fun.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:54:05 am »

Yeah I have a hard time killing off immigrants and I stick with the default settings in general, so a fair amount of my challenge is keeping my dwarves fed/drunk and making sure they have bedrooms. I'm still working on figuring out the last bits of the military, but I've got a group of axedwarves that have fought off the little bits of trouble I've had from underground so far. I kind of want an injury to test out my hospital and I REALLY want dwarves to sleep in their own freaking bedrooms again. But yeah, like people have mentioned so far, a bunch of the "fun" parts of DF come from people doing more than just playing the basic game. You can't really have a magma flood if you're not making a magma death cannon, right? Actually... if that 32-level pump stack you're talking about has something go horribly wrong that could be the start of something.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:41:23 am »

I've been playing DF for maybe three weeks, now, so.... still a relative newbie. I've gone through at least a dozen forts, which I abandoned generally after the third wave of immigrants (like that one time 32 immigrants arrived in a single wave, to join my existing 9 :o ). The fort I'm currently playing is currently in summer of it's third year, the longest any have survived so far (due largely in part to the fact that approximately 25 migrants met the bottom of my Atom Smasher.)

Like others have said, there is a short massive learning curve to get the basic hang of the game (generally getting used to the interfaced and being able to learn to do the vital things like getting food, basic defense, keeping dwarves happy, etc), after that (assuming your population is small enough to avoid sieges and megabeasts) you can often survive for a very long time.  At that point its on you to do one of two things to make it more interesting; you can start to explore the various other game mechanics (make some armor/weapons, explore the various workshops, etc), or impose challenges on yourself (have a higher population count, start in a more dangerous area or an area with fewer resources, limit the food you can get from farming, etc).  Fortunately the game enables you to do both of these things!

There are tons of examples of ways to challenge yourself, some I have done recently are attempt to live entirely within the caverns with only basic supplies to start with, embarked on a land mass with a triple aquifer, started on a haunted forest and tried to live above ground (only digging for materials, no living down there), but the limit is your imagination (and lots can be found here or on the wiki).

My question is: How large/populated does your fortress usually get? And, at what milestones?
Feel free to answer that question and ignore the rant which follows it, if you so desire.  ;)

I generally set my population max at 110 or so (so I can get 'all the features', but limit the number to help for framerate) but oftentimes I abandon, or am killed, when I am around seventy or eighty.  As for how large my fort gets.. In ideal situations my fort has a small above ground area (walled in) for fishing, butchery, and sometimes an above ground barracks, some soil/sand layers for item storage, a stone layer that comprises most of my basic rooms, a stone layer for bedrooms, and generally a very low stone layer for my forges upon striking magma.. So I guess on average, counting the surface, that's like five or so (if you don't count in between layers serving as irrigation or stairways and such).

My 36 dwarfs have a 6-man military which is largely ineffective due to their lack of desire to equip their weapons, although I'm hoping some adamantine armor (which is in the works) will even their chances... assuming they equip it. However, I've not yet had one bad thing happen to my fortress. I realize that not every fort will be a Boatmurdered, but the worst things to happen were a one-time raid by some monkeys, who were put down by a single, newly-drafted wrestler, and a gremlin that my "proficient" miner killed before I even managed to notice it.

Well breaching the caverns is a good way (depending on your embark) to find some 'fun', my last fort had full four floodgate emergency doors which I figured would help some, and it did at first, a bunch of monsters were just hanging out on the other side of them when I opened the caverns, then some blind cave ogres showed up and tore right through them followed by two trolls, and a whole mess of krundles, we eventually beat them back with minimal casualties* but there was some fun (also for fun after a battle read the description).  Another way would be to increase your population size which will result in more attacks by enemies, or declare war on the elves or humans.

But yes, if you embark on an ideal site and have a low population count, basic defense, food/booze supply and keep your dwarves reasonably happy you probably won't see much action.

*Amazingly one of my dwarves (I noticed because I named him after my roommate) had both arms torn off (one at the shoulder, one at the elbow) and survived, he mostly just hung around the meeting room what with having lost the ability to grasp things but hey, there ya go.  To increase the awesomeness he later fought a giant rat by biting it.. I mean honestly its like they are trying to get me to quote Monty Python.  It was the most severe injury I've currently seen a dwarf suffer and still live to tell about it (not killed in the fight or succumbing to infection following the fight).  Another dwarf, in the same battle, got the award for most injuries I've ever seen a dwarf take without dying (though he did die of infection following the battle), his block of red text was almost as long as all the rest of the descriptive text put together (amazingly he didn't lose any body parts at all).

This is because I haven't traded anything, right? I haven't needed anything from the caravans except a few bags, but otherwise I've been self-sufficient. The other cause is my low-population, but I find that killing the immigrants is better than the alternative. If I let them live, they sit around drinking all my booze because I can't find anything for them to do.

Explore the caverns, declare war on your traders, build new and bigger projects, play with the military (bugged right now though.. But you can feel your way through it), or abandon and embark on a harder area.  Just a few ideas.

As my population increases, I find the only thing I'm doing to take the larger numbers into account is either making a military which comprises 75% of my population, or making them all miners/carpenters to make more housing. I've probably only actually built 1 out of every 10 things in the game, because there has never been any problem requiring them. An excellent example is the butcher's shop- I've never had so many dwarfs (even when I didn't kill all the migrants) that I couldn't feed them with a farm or two. My population of 36 is living off a single farm, and we've got 500 spare plump helmets in our stockpile.

Well perfect chance then, start a new fort (or continue this one) and don't use farms, try just using the butcher shop, or only hunting for food. 

Sorry if I sound whiny, but I've been taking in all the information I can off the forum/wiki, and I get the impression I'm "playing the game wrong", by which I mean I'm not experiencing all it has to offer.

You aren't really playing it wrong, think of it as playing the game on 'easy mode'.  Every now and again somebody suggests that Dwarf Fortress have difficulty settings, but really it already does, you choose how difficult or easy it is based on what self-imposed challenges you add for yourself.  Playing the vanilla game in ideal settings (provided you have the basic controls/concepts down) is very easy.  If I set my population to max at thirty dwarves and embarked on a perfect location I could survive a good long time, maybe forever, but as you say it would get boring fast. 

A few general tips:

1) Work your population count up slowly to get used to them, start a game with a max of twenty, if you feel you've got the hang of using all of them increase it to thirty, then forty, etc. 

2) I admit it is irritating when you get huge stacks of migrants all at once (it does seem like its worse in this version then the older ones, but maybe I was just lucky back then), one thing I do to try to organize them is I have a custom class of Ranger, they are plant gatherers, fishermen, trappers, and haulers.  I generally set all my new guys (if they come in a huge mass) to that class, or plebs (peasants), so they are doing something productive until I can get a handle on where I need them.

3) As I and others have said, pick a challenge, either self-impose regulations on yourself or pick a harder area.  Start maybe with a haunted forest, or if you want something harder maybe a desert or glacier (though admittedly caverns have in some ways made those two easier as far as the 'I need water!' thing goes).  Sometimes haunted biomes come with all creatures being undead, this not only makes them all hostile but also means you cannot use them for resources (yes this includes fish as well as the animals in the caverns).  Just some ideas.

-MB
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:46:08 am by Mickey Blue »

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 08:00:34 pm »

If this is too easy, try a mod or 2.  I recommend Civ Forge or Genesis, but any mod that has more Civ types (dorf, human,gobo, gobo... err elf) will see a drastic change in how often you are invaded.  Civ Forge adds 8 or so (2 new aggro only, 1 vegitarian (no animal matter trading)), but with that many hostile civs, caravans are routinely waylaid, pissing off the caravan's civ...

Too much population?  Shoot, I cant feel I have enough dorfs to start a military till 35 or so.  One cannot have too big of an army (training is still effective with crap weapons and armor).  Hard to feed?  I overproduce food and supply all my textile needs with a 9x5 farm (which employes 1 farmer, 2 threshers, 2 millers, 1 cook, 1 brewer, 2 dyers, 2 weavers, and 2 tailors (I export lots of stuff)). 

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:34:04 pm »

I've only had four forts so far. My third fort was by far the largest and most successful (150 dwarves, adamantine 90+ z levels down, wall+moat system, etc.) I've thought of abandoning it however, due to FPS issues. Either that, or beginning to cull dwarves. I never understood the anti-migrant sentiment until now, before I just let them integrate fully into fortress society, the more the merrier I though.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:26:02 pm »

I never understood the anti-migrant sentiment until now, before I just let them integrate fully into fortress society, the more the merrier I though.

The problem with migrants (or at least, MY problem) is that 20 dwarves can support a population of 100, which leaves 80 dwarves to find jobs for, by which point I'm usually like, "screw it, if I have enough time to re-assign all these losers, AND create a bunch of new industries to assign them to, clearly nothing exciting is happening to this fortress", and I skip over to world-gen.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:31:23 pm »

So skip over to world gen now. Go find a Terrifying biome. Heck, a wooded / hills or mountains one will work fine. Be prepared to fight! Fun will most certainly come find you, probably sooner rather than later. Also make sure on the finder screen that you have good neighbors such as goblins listed before you embark. Extra points for lots of constructions on or near your embark. The goblins are a must, do make sure you have them listed :)
Now if you really insist on a stiff challenge, do as the other guy said and get one of the mods that makes goblins really tough. Or possibly adds in other nastier opponents. Eventually you will get the hang of things so well that you will probably need to get a good hard mod going :)

Have Fun!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 12:47:05 pm »

Generic fortress plan:

Above ground: Towers, completely pointless architecture, whatever else I feel like

Near ground level, preferably in soil layers: Trade area, including epic storage caverns, trade depots (several, just for decorative purposes), the workshops for whatever I'm exporting at the moment and the decorative columns I'm using at the minute. Also storage caves are used for temporary farming at the start, so at least one is usually neara water source of some kind.

Upper rock layers: Epic real industrial areas

Just above first cavern layer: Housing areas, designed for aesthetics over everything else, including open-air areas (yeah, epic holes), artificial lakes, communal gardens, suites of rooms of various sizes as well as intensive apartment blocks for migrants I haven't built proper houses for yet.

In/between cavern layers: Later farming areas, due to all that lovely mud/water, and all other associated industries

Uppermost magma layer: Magma industry area (can be higher if I can be bothered to build a pump stack)

In rocks with magma layers above them: Noble quarters for troublesome nobles (mayor/baron with platinum fetish, for instance) (also, incidentally, just below an exploratory tunnel that happens to go right next to the magma sea)

Also, if you don't have anything for migrants to do, you don't have a big, impressive enough way of killing people built yet.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:48:57 pm by blue sam3 »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:14:51 pm »

I always play with no (simple)traps, and with an uncloseable 5-7 tile wide passageway that leads into the fort, I do not allow mined stone to stay on the floor, everything must be smoothed.  I also never plan for my journey, and recently have begun only allowing my dwarves to live above ground, mining through aquifers and caverns only to get the marble that the blocks to build my city are cut from.

I think you might be abandoning before the bad things start happening, like sieges and megabeast visits.  Of course these are easier if you can seal yourself off, but I look at sealing yourself off to be playing the tutorial.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 09:41:53 pm »

The only way to really have next to no immigrants is just weird: don't do much of anything.

Try to build the bare bones, no quality goods that are just enough to keep your Dwarves going. Have happiness come from social interactions.

In other words, very little fort wealth produced. This becomes a problem with defense and happiness though, because quality matters there.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 07:34:03 am »

Suggestions:

1. (Already suggested) Try another area
2.  Try reaching higher societal levels.. for example, where you have to mint money and eventually get a king.

As for #1, you should be able to see if hostile civs are in the area when you choose a spot. And haunted, terrifying might be a good area to try.

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 02:16:54 pm »

up to 100 dwarfs supported by 20?  Build those 20 another subfort as if starting all over with a single entrance to new subfort.  Channel single entrance to block it off from those other 80 dwarves (ensure they have no professions set).  Let them party while you rebuild your new city.

When the booze runs out watch sodom and gamora fall :)

Then I lost my sub city.  Those 20 dwarfs have friends and families on the other side of that channel.  Must have heard the screams.  :o
Pages: [1] 2