Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trap Weapon Quality Research  (Read 3002 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trap Weapon Quality Research
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:55:24 pm »

I didn't see a more appropriate thread. If there is one, whoever is moderating, can you please move this post?  KTHX  :D

10 serrated glass discs on a standard or + quality mechanism do light bruises to warthog bodies, and tear off tusks and eyes and mouth, but don't actually kill in anything less than a few seasons. Spiked green glass balls do a bit better, but not much.

For those looking for more effective traps: Crossbow traps do plenty of damage but need constant reloading, which scares off certain critters and puts dwarfs in danger from other critters.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trap Weapon Quality Research
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:01:38 am »

I've found two decent trap strategies in the new version.

1 - Good quality bronze or better slicey things.  This includes serrated discs, giant axe blades and any other weapon that delivers slashing damage.  Good quality bronze, middling quality steel, those are the only really reliable weapons against armored foes.  If you have good quality steel - superior or masterwork - three weapons to a trap normally delivers a killing blow in the form of a head or lower body sever. 

2 - Heavy warhammers near a cliff.  If you make an approach to your fortress which is only one tile wide, fill the sides with magma/water/several z of open space, and lay warhammer-heavy weapons traps on that path, enemies WILL get knocked off the path with pleasing regularity.  Also, since the corpses don't stay on the weapon trap tile, they don't jam.  At least, not as much.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:33 am »

10 serrated glass discs
glass

Er... no way! Glass traps are useless. Do bronze or steel, that'll do the trick.
-
V.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 01:49:42 am »

Glass spikes make an excellent military training tool actually.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:28:46 am »

"Alright recruits, today we're going to shove glass spikes through you. All survivors get promoted to Swiss Recruit."
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 07:30:25 am »

But-- more or less dangerous than wooden training spears?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 09:02:28 am »

No idea. Glass isn't in the raws, so can't tell the edge value. However I'd assume it's 1000 like everything else, same as wood.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 09:53:03 am »

Glass seriously needs it's damage increased, at least to be comparable to iron.  It takes roughly the same amount of effort to make glass items as it does iron.

Right now I'm using a large array of 5x iron disc traps and they're enough to keep the riff-raff out but they don't do jack to goblins in full iron armor.  I got close to 100 pages of combat reports of discs being deflected by armor.  What I might suggest as an economical approach is to place a bunch of iron traps in front and put a couple or more bronze+ traps behind them.  A 3x adamantine disc trap will stop pretty much anything that doesn't have trap avoid.  But since weapon traps can get jammed it's better to put these in the back.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07:45 am »

I was using glass because that's what I used before in my weapon traps, in 40d. It's cheap, resource-wise, even free except in labor cost if you have magma, and was a good alternative to metal.

I didn't have oodles of metal before. I may try some serrated steel discs next. Then again, the glass balls are starting to work a bit better. [Edit: I just loaded game to check, they do shatter damage to bones.]

Low-quality bone and wood crossbow traps, with basic bone or wood bolts, are awesome against animals. They may not insta-kill but the creature WILL bleed to death in a few ticks.

All my current testing has been against animals that wander into my entrance area. I can't really handle sieges yet. I imagine cage traps will produce reasonable, if time-consuming, results.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:12:41 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 11:51:15 am »

I may try some serrated steel discs next. Then again, the glass balls are starting to work a bit better. [Edit: I just loaded game to check, they do shatter damage to bones.]

Well, generally all BLUNT damage things are now bad. They work poorly. They may shatter every single bone ten times in a row, but a creature will survive, because there is no accumulated damage, and no death from skull shattered 10000 times. Only if you are very lucky, a piece of shattered bone can pierce brain, or heart, or lung. But that's rare, really.

EDGE damage things, however, can chop off limbs that hold weapons, or behead, or bifurcate. Currently they are more useful.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:31:27 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

HeliumFreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 01:09:32 pm »

I make my serated disks out of steel and they shread through anything. If you make them out of iron theyll do nothing

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 01:45:33 pm »

I make my serated disks out of steel and they shread through anything. If you make them out of iron theyll do nothing

Not entirely true.  I've seen that iron discs are good at shredding kidnappers and a few ambushers but not all of them.  Iron is good enough for anything unarmored or armored in cloth or leather as long as you have enough traps.  It's the armored goblins you need bronze+ for.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 06:57:10 pm »

Standard rule of thumb: an edged weapon cannot pierce the same material or better that it's made from.

Wood<copper<iron<bronze<steel<adamantine

Iron weapon traps will only have a chance of killing cloth or copper armored goblins, not iron or bronze. Bronze kills everything but bronze. Steel does everything.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 05:22:57 pm »

Hmm, I wonder how fun it would be to have serrated discs....made of magma.

hambeargur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 05:33:50 pm »

A pit next to my blunt weapon traps seems to create a fun effect of launching enemies into it.
Pages: [1] 2