Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Taxidermy and display skeletons :D  (Read 10979 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Taxidermy and display skeletons :D
« on: May 20, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

For those that dont know, taxidermy is the art of taking the shell of a dead animal, preserving it and wrapping it around a form so as to appear alive.

These would be sweet additions to the fortress. You could mount beast heads on the wall.

You could also slaughter an animal but not cut it up. This would keep the whole animal in one piece and you could make a statue out of the whole thing.

Cuz, yknow, stuffed elephants!

When pets die, instead of burying them you could stuff them and mount the statue somewhere.

ANyhow the process. To be honest i know jack squat about taxidermy, but i saw a documentary on it once so here goes.

The steps:
1: Start with animal corpse, if too mangled you can still use only the head.
2: Butcher cleans the animal, leaving only the skin, horns, teeth ect.
3: Tanner preserves the pieces, leaving the fur and whatnot intact.
4. Statue maker crafts the form that the skin and teeth fit into.

This can be made of pretty much any material, stone is heavy, wood is much lighter. The best option is an inner frame of metal, this is the lightest option and adds the most quality.
5. Glassmaker crafts some fake eyes since it is not possible to preserve the originals, we do not have coloured or painted glass as of yet, but that will probably change later, lets just say we use gems.
6. Someone, probably the tanner, puts the preserved animal skin onto the form. He then adds the teeth and eyes and you have the finished stuffed animal.

Neat huh? We could have trophy rooms and such with these things. Imagine the entrance to your dining hall flanked by stuffed elephants. (lol boatmurdered)

On the other hand, you could also gather up ALL of the dead bones of one animal and string them together to make a whole skeleteon. Exactly like what they do with dinosaur bones in some museums.

The process is a bit different:
1. Kill any animal/reptile without crushing any bones or severing too many limbs (which would also damage bones), pierce weapons are good for this. Likewise a slaughtered animal starts intact. Once processed the corpse becomes "elephant (or leopard, deer ect) skeleton" Instead of "stack of 8 deer bones"
2. Bonecrafter gathers up the skeletons and does restoration work on it. This has a variable difficulty depending on how much damage has been done to a skeleton. This step still applies to pristine skeletons as it includes the drilling of holes and such needed to mount the bones together.
3. Architect plans how the skeleton will be posed, and the supports required, this can be done at the same time as the bonecrafter is working.
4. Once the architect is finished a metalsmith crafts a set of clamps, wires and stands that will hold the skeleton in one piece without being immediatly obvious. The amount of material and time this takes depends on the size of the creature AND what pose you wish to put the animal in. (explained later)

The frame can be made of any metal, the bigger the creature, the stronger the metal you have to use. A bird skeleton would need a little bit of copper. Huge creatures such as giants and Hydrae would require a skeleton of adamantine.

5. Once all the components are ready you have to mount the skeleton somewhere. This can take a lot of room depending on what the creature is, but once the x axis is in you could hang them from the ceiling or something.

First the architect shows up, he plans the site. Then the bonecrafter and metalsmith show up and start putting all the pieces together. This takes a huge amount of time, but once they are done you will have a nice complete skeleton on display.

Note that if fossils are ever implemented, this applies to them as well.

Pose: The pose of the animal or skeleton is what action or movement is it shaped to represent. There are 3 types:

Standing pose: This is an animal in a static position, an elephant standing on all 4 legs, a wolf sitting back on its haunches, a curled up cat ect.

Movement pose: This is an animal in motion. A running deer, a bird in a flight position with wings spread out in flight, stuff like that.

Attack pose: This is the most difficult to pull off because it requires a lot of ackward supports. The effect is quite dramatic though, as there is a huge difference between a standing elephant and an elephant rearing up on its back legs, trunk and tusks waving getting ready to smite you.

A pristine dragon skeleton mounted on top of your main gate will cause quite a stir.

Awesome huh?   :D some anphibian feedback would rock

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Re: Taxidermy and display skeletons :D
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

Pretty good post and right on the money.  I had to deal with taxidermy a little when I was growing up... yick!
The only difference from what you said is that most forms are actually styrofoam covered in cloth, not metal concrete(stone), or wood - but of course, the dwarves don't have styrofoam...  the difficulty in the other materials is shaping them into the exact form you want - I would guess that a light wood or making a mold and using plaster would be the best for dwarven tech, or maybe stone since they are good with it and so strong compared to us.

But ugh, I never could stand these things anywhere but a museum, I was always terrified of the deer heads my dad had to keep in the living room x.x

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:19:00 am »

Stuffed dragon hanging from your dining room ceiling, great idea.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:32:00 am »

And on realy evil maps the skeletons might come back to life after a while...
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 10:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tubal_Cain:
<STRONG>Stuffed dragon hanging from your dining room ceiling, great idea.</STRONG>

Like this?
Which was made by Kim Graham Studios

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

yeah like that, only real, and like, really really big.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>yeah like that, only real, and like, really really big.</STRONG>

To be fair, that Shivan is eight or ten feet tall...

Er, wait.

Yeah, that's not big, that's like normal sized for me.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>To be fair, that Shivan is eight or ten feet tall...</STRONG>

In D&D terms, that's not even "Large".  It's Medium.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 09:34:00 am »

Funny and good idea.

And yeah, dead people should definitely come back to life in evil maps. (specially when they haven't been buried correctly. Maybe depending on the moon position...).

Eventually, some ritual could make these events more or less likely

[ May 22, 2007: Message edited by: flap ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 09:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>In D&D terms, that's not even "Large".  It's Medium.</STRONG>

Actually, no.

Large
A Large creature is typically between 8 and 16 feet in height or length and weighs between 500 and 4,000 pounds.
Link

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

Ancient wyrm level dragons are ridiculously huge though. I think some of the reach up to colossal.

But because dwarf fortress would need unique dragons we could have a different set of age types, like:
1. whelp
2. wyrmling
ect all the way up to:
3. Adult
4. Elder
5. Ancient
6. legendary
7. Mythical

Mythical dragons would be HUGE.

Imagine having an entire dragon skeleton forming the main corridor of you fortress. The head would be this ginormous skull set into the side of the mountain, its open jaw forms your fortresses gate.

That would be epic.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 03:13:00 am »

Stuip Dwarf cancels immigrate: Scared Shitless.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 08:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>Imagine having an entire dragon skeleton forming the main corridor of you fortress. The head would be this ginormous skull set into the side of the mountain, its open jaw forms your fortresses gate.

That would be epic.</STRONG>

If you have ever played Minions of Mirth (MMO) there's a skeleton almost like that (it's a bridge).
It takes about 5 minutes to walk across it while hasted.
Best I can find at the moment: http://www.prairiegames.com/mom_worldmap.jpg
Lower left near Hazeroth Keep.

Edit:
Ah, of course, search for Hazeroth Keep *rolls eyes* http://www.mmorpg.cz/images/userscreenshots/2006/12/23/2508-195.jpg
Who'd have thunk it was under that instead of "Bridge of Durukan"?
BTW, you can see only about a quarter to a third of the bridge's length.  A human is about as tall as one of the teeth.

[ May 23, 2007: Message edited by: Draco18s ]

Edit 2:
Made some pics myself.
First is ~2 MB in size, but it shows almost the whole length of the bridge: www.pages.drexel.edu/~mmj29/temp/bridgeofdurukan.png
(That was two screens stiched together minus the UI elements, some errors due to camera angle change)
And one that shows the sheer size of it.  The croc is my char, the human is an NPC.  On the map the blue symbol is just about the same size as my character (awesome sidenote about the minimap: it is an actual 3D render of the land) www.pages.drexel.edu/~mmj29/temp/bridgeofdurukan2.png

It takes me 2 minutes 42 seconds to walk the length of it.

[ May 31, 2007: Message edited by: Draco18s ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »

[Bump, see above post for the edit I made.  If I'd realised the edit didn't bump a post to the top I'd have just posted.]

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »

Thats neat.

I guess if we were talking about tha buried dragon skeleton the spine and ribs would form and arch and keep the ceiling up, this would let you dig out a bigger than normal corridor without using pillars.

Pages: [1] 2 3