Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF got kinda boring recently.  (Read 4059 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF got kinda boring recently.
« on: June 23, 2010, 07:18:38 am »

So... yeah, pretty much what the topic said. After killing endless amounts of everything, in any way I, the wiki, and some of you managed to throw at me, dropping FPS bombs in irrational and purely dwarven ways, I've actually run out of things to do in the game.
Megaprojects? Old. I usually just make a pure adamantine statue that serves me as a magma flooder using the infinite generator, but marksdwarves don't work and I use gold blocks instead. I remember once mining out the entire mountain into a rocky wasteland. Hell, even before 0.31 I was getting bored. But now that I managed to conquer Hell and build a dining room in it, clearly ending whatever challenge left for me, I can't bring myself to get Fun out of it. Only the impossible stuff like keeping the mountain up using a support made out of soap in 23a is left, and I don't even know if soap existed in that version.

Tell me, guys, what the hell am I supposed to do now?

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: DF got kinda boring recently.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:26:05 am »

when loosing is no longer fun, have you truely lost?
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:39:01 am »

Only the impossible stuff like keeping the mountain up using a support made out of soap in 23a is left, and I don't even know if soap existed in that version.

Wouldn't work, it'd cave in.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:50:25 am »

Well, I can thnk of  options available to retain interest. 

One is narrative. It doesn't have to be a community fort, just using the events and characters to write something.

The other would be to try your hand at util coding and dive into the guts of the game.

Alternately maybe you should just take a break.  DF is a hideously complicated game that you can sink a lot of time into, and like MMOs you can easily get burned out. Go play Mario Galaxy 2, work on that art/writing/coding project you've been putting off, whatever.   
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:11 am »

There's always the often-forgotten Adventure Mode. Have you tried the following:
Kill all the megabeasts.
Go on a multi-species-extinction-spree.
Try to bring about the Age of Emptiness.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:37 am »

The fact that you actually expect a single game to keep you entertained forever means that you actually believed it would at one time. Only the best games can get you thinking that way.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:26 am »

I play DF in phases. Works well. First played back at the tail end of 2D, had fun, got bored and forgot about it for a year or two. Came back at the start of 3D, same deal. Probably do the same with 2010. Wonderful thing is that you get a new game experience with each major arc completion, so go wander off and find another hobby. Just don't forget to check back in a year or so, because you'll enjoy it if you do.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:39:30 am »

I've found myself getting bored with DF multiple times. I find that quitting for a period of time, whether it be a couple of weeks or a couple of months, and then coming back helps.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:06 am »

Mods.

Get the Civilization Forge 2.1 mod. It adds in several new civilizations, tweaks the combat system, new armor and weapons and shit. I strongly recommend it as some civilizations are very challenging and have raped my fort several times in form of ambushes.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 10:07:37 am »

Just take a break and come back to it in a bit, that's what I do. The fact that I DO keep coming back despite having the approximate attention span of Kiki the ferret says a lot about how awesome it is :P
Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 10:41:42 am »

Wait, you actually managed to conquer hell? How?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:47:00 am »

I think the reason DF gets boring right now is because so much has changed in the 2010 release, that alot of stuff is glitchy.  Colossi can barely be killed, along with some forgotten beasts and demons.  It's not much fun when either you can kill it or you never can.  The military is still kinda dodgy and hard to use.  I've never seen anyone get out of bed after going in wounded.  You almost always have to either dig down to mud, or irrigate the topsoil level.  It's so... limited now.  So undwarfy.

Not to mention that it lags insanely anymore, it takes me hours to get through a single year, where in the past it was like, a half hour max.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:05:31 am »

OP: If losing is fun, then winning is boredom.

(try iron man mode if you aren't already doing that)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 03:04:26 pm »

Play as gnomes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 03:38:45 pm »

The fact that you actually expect a single game to keep you entertained forever means that you actually believed it would at one time. Only the best games can get you thinking that way.

DF has risen to my expectations in this regard moreso than most games. I do need to take a break sometimes, however.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: [1] 2