Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF got kinda boring recently.  (Read 4056 times)

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: DF got kinda boring recently.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 03:56:24 pm »

I've found myself getting bored with DF multiple times. I find that quitting for a period of time, whether it be a couple of weeks or a couple of months, and then coming back helps.

This is what I do.
My current break is running from just before the first 2010 release until... I don't know when. I'm confident I will play it again, probably after there's very few bugs left and through walkthroughs for all the new everything. Probably 0.31.30 or something.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 10:33:36 pm »

I've been playing... I think a bit more than a year now, and in that time I've taken 2 breaks. The first was for the last 2 months of 40d, where I'd pop in on the changelog but otherwise just played some Half Life 2. The last was around .04 when I couldn't take the bugs anymore, so I gave Sins of a Solar Empire a whirl. I didn't expect to be back so soon.

I advocate taking a break, and a genre shift. Go shoot stuff for a while, go play some multiplayer stuff, go rock out an RPG or something. Just keep an eye on the changelog and eventually you'll catch yourself planning out a new fortress, trying out the new features or enjoying the bugfixes.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 08:22:02 am »

Just take a break and come back to it in a bit, that's what I do. The fact that I DO keep coming back despite having the approximate attention span of Kiki the ferret says a lot about how awesome it is :P

Wait...  You have the attention span of Kiki and managed to finish two senten...  Oh!  Shiny!  *poing*
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 12:27:29 pm »

Technically the second sentence doesn't have a period and as such wasn't finished. Ha.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 12:31:31 pm »

Wait, you actually managed to conquer hell? How?

There is some luck involved.

You could get demon types that are made of things like coral, which would be unkillable.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 12:32:26 pm »

I've found myself getting bored with DF multiple times. I find that quitting for a period of time, whether it be a couple of weeks or a couple of months, and then coming back helps.

This is what I do.
My current break is running from just before the first 2010 release until... I don't know when. I'm confident I will play it again, probably after there's very few bugs left and through walkthroughs for all the new everything. Probably 0.31.30 or something.

Same. I binge for a while, then get tired of it and don't play DF anymore. A month or two later I come back and play a bunch more. Keeps things fresh.

Desdichado

• Bay Watcher
  • The Anti-Zealot Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 12:48:53 pm »

I'm the opposite from everyone else, it seems. I'm almost bored enough to start playing DF again. I quit it back in September while waiting for DF 2010... and then loaded up 2010 to find the gameplay even more obtuse, like... how the hell do I get an army up and running? I'm almost bored enough to tackle learning that mess, heh.

I do set up battles in arena mode every now and then. If you give everyone adamantine armour and training weapons, they'll all fight for 30 minutes and die simultaneously of infections to small wounds. Lol.
"I have a puppy instead", which while maintaining a polite tone, is quiet, calculating character assassination against Toady. Do some of you not see it as such, backstabbing?

At least spell my name right.
Pages: 1 [2]