Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DFConfig - Suggestions Needed!  (Read 17535 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFConfig - Suggestions Needed!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 05:29:06 am »

I thought you fixed this, but in v1.6 the tileset folders still have "graphics_TILESETNAME" (except for in Phoebus')
This is causing creature/dwarf graphics to not show up! but its as easy as renaming the folders to "graphics". Once I did myself, it worked for me.

I can't believe how much work you've put into this over such a short period of time! Great job!

V1.7 has it actually fixed now, thanks.

It needs to be able to swap tilesets+raws at once , because different tilesets map tiles differently. It will be of a great use then.

In my program it moves the graphics/raw/init.txt file from the chosen graphics set to your install directory.  Is this what you mean?  If not can you check out the program and see if it does what you expect it to?  Thanks!

Good sir. This is awesome and you should feel awesome.
Would you be interested in a set of suggestions on making it the ULTIMATE gfx installer?

:D.  Thanks Mike, I appreciate it, I assumed you wouldn't mind me packing in your tileset.   Yours was the one that first got me into this game after all.

I think doing tileset (graphics/raw/init) is sufficient for MOST users needs.  But I have a few additional idea.  I'd love to be able to make it so that in the program you have the dropdown but somehow it gives you an idea of what those tilesets look like when you install them.  I think I know how I could do that but priority #1 is maintaining simplicity.

But please lay your suggestions on me :), always up for a challenge

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 06:30:27 am »

Are you familiar with hermano's raw tile merger?
The idea is that you provide it with a set of modified raws and it transfers ONLY THE TILE DEFINITIONS from these raws and transfers them to a specified set of raws.
This is great because it allows using a "raw-mined" tileset with a modded DF or quickly transferring a tileset to a new DF version. Unfortunately, many people find it too complicated. So what I meant-
-Place a raw folder (with both graphics and objects definitions) in DFConfig
-Specify your DF folder in DFConfig
-Provide the user with checkboxes to select whether he wants to modify the raws in the main folder (for world generation) and which of the save folders does he want to mod.
-Even better- for lineage games-
   1. Install a set of raws and backup the originals
   2. Play the game
   3. Uninstall the changes - restore back to the original raws and pass the game on

EDIT: and yes, the raws need to be linked to a tileset. Probably by having a separate folders with both /raw/ and an appropriate /data/art/ in it. So first the user would choose the graphics set (creature graphics, a set of tilesets and a set of raws appropriate for the tilesets) and THEN choose which of the tilesets in the set to use.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:33:43 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 07:33:57 am »

What does everyone think of something like this?

The popup with a sample of the tileset shows only when you mouse over the listbox (which expands to the appropriate size when you roll over it).

I made the samples out of the same save, same location so comparisons can be made easily, which I think is pretty cool.

Are you familiar with hermano's raw tile merger?
The idea is that you provide it with a set of modified raws and it transfers ONLY THE TILE DEFINITIONS from these raws and transfers them to a specified set of raws.
This is great because it allows using a "raw-mined" tileset with a modded DF or quickly transferring a tileset to a new DF version. Unfortunately, many people find it too complicated. So what I meant-
-Place a raw folder (with both graphics and objects definitions) in DFConfig
-Specify your DF folder in DFConfig
-Provide the user with checkboxes to select whether he wants to modify the raws in the main folder (for world generation) and which of the save folders does he want to mod.
-Even better- for lineage games-
   1. Install a set of raws and backup the originals
   2. Play the game
   3. Uninstall the changes - restore back to the original raws and pass the game on

EDIT: and yes, the raws need to be linked to a tileset. Probably by having a separate folders with both /raw/ and an appropriate /data/art/ in it. So first the user would choose the graphics set (creature graphics, a set of tilesets and a set of raws appropriate for the tilesets) and THEN choose which of the tilesets in the set to use.

I read your post a few times, and I'm curious, are you sure this doesn't already do what you want it to do?

I will add a global "default all" button, for sending games to other players though, that's another obvious idea.

A few posts up I list what I do to switch different graphic/tilesets.  I guess I don't a have full understanding of graphics/tilesets because I thought what I did is most/all of what people did to change what the game looks like.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 08:31:35 am »

You have my request permission to include my 6x9 curses in the package. (See sig for link)

Also, I commend you on the reversible exotic changes. I hadn't thought of that.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 08:37:33 am »

You have my request permission to include my 6x9 curses in the package. (See sig for link)

Also, I commend you on the reversible exotic changes. I hadn't thought of that.

Could you upload somewhere a zip that has the necessary files with anything your set needs?  A raw folder, an "art" folder, and a default init, with changes that point to your file name?  Thanks.

Thanks, sorry to basically copy your idea for noexotic.  I'm extremely grateful you gave me the idea though, I've wanted a dungeon master for forever and this is a great replacement until they work.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 08:45:30 am »

[edit] Zip [/edit]

All it requires is this line in the init:
[FONT:curses_6x9.png]

And the image in the data\art folder:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7370/33250212.png

I personally recommend using this for the init:
[WINDOWEDX:129]
[WINDOWEDY:46]

Also, the color set that I made for use with the curses (data\init\colors.txt):
Enhanced-contrast colors:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:54:01 am by madk »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 10:10:38 am »

[edit] Zip [/edit]

All it requires is this line in the init:
[FONT:curses_6x9.png]

And the image in the data\art folder:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7370/33250212.png

I personally recommend using this for the init:
[WINDOWEDX:129]
[WINDOWEDY:46]

Also, the color set that I made for use with the curses (data\init\colors.txt):
Enhanced-contrast colors:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't yet set up changes to the "colors" file, but it should be in next run.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:25:38 am by Mason11987 »

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 12:03:43 pm »

Please note that your screenshot indicates you're using edited raws. My curses set does not.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »

Please note that your screenshot indicates you're using edited raws. My curses set does not.

Do you know that from the ingame picture, or are you saying that because it's in the "graphics" dropdown?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »

From the game picture. It uses wrong tiles for the walls.

And that's what I meant. It should change for example inorganic_stone_layer.txt and other files (like creature_default.txt) according to a set they are adjusted to.

Mike Mayday really told everything you want to know, there's a DF raw file merger tool which does it so you could ask the author how he did it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »

Right now the raws ARE being linked with the tileset guys! The "problem" is that it copies over the WHOLE RAW FOLDER, and replaces ALL THE RAWS. But it /works/ still, just deleting other modifications the player may have made.

Quote from: LucasUP (Origional PIPEDREAM spoiler)
It would need to change the tile-assignments for all rocks/creatures/items/etc in raw files TO MATCH the new set, WITHOUT CHANGING THE REST OF THE RAWS (AHHH! NIGHTMARE!)

Problems:
...need to ONLY modify specific parts of the raw files EDIT: Okay this is an eventual goal

Mason, I thought I had already explained this, and that you agreed it was going to be a goal. I guess we misunderstood eachother :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:35:46 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 01:54:48 pm »

Right now the raws ARE being linked with the tileset guys! The "problem" is that it copies over the WHOLE RAW FOLDER, and replaces ALL THE RAWS. But it /works/ still, just deleting other modifications the player may have made.

Quote from: LucasUP (Origional PIPEDREAM spoiler)
It would need to change the tile-assignments for all rocks/creatures/items/etc in raw files TO MATCH the new set, WITHOUT CHANGING THE REST OF THE RAWS (AHHH! NIGHTMARE!)

Problems:
...need to ONLY modify specific parts of the raw files EDIT: Okay this is an eventual goal

Mason, I thought I had already explained this, and that you agreed it was going to be a goal. I guess we misunderstood eachother :P

I see what the problem is now.  I think I understand tilesets graphics to be simpler then they are.  That's okay.  We're getting close.

I set it up to read your settings on first load too, so we're very close to a solid release you can put in with your pack.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 02:10:24 pm »

I can write an executable for you to call to modify the raws in any way you want (and make these changes completely and exactly reversible) using the token parsing code I've already got down for my raws editing tool. Theoretically, it would work for any version of DF as long as the raws don't change too darastically.

Just let me know exactly what would need changing and I'll be on it like flies on vinegar.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:13:07 pm by madk »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 02:41:03 pm »

I can write an executable for you to call to modify the raws in any way you want (and make these changes completely and exactly reversible) using the token parsing code I've already got down for my raws editing tool. Theoretically, it would work for any version of DF as long as the raws don't change too darastically.

Just let me know exactly what would need changing and I'll be on it like flies on vinegar.

I appreciate it.  I already have a similar item in progress though, but thanks :).

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2010, 04:41:25 pm »

Mason, do you want me to explain all about graphics? :)
<3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4