Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DFConfig - Suggestions Needed!  (Read 17539 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFConfig - Suggestions Needed!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 08:31:36 am »

V1.3 - Separated into Options/Mods.

Added option for pop cap/child cap.
Added option for water flow visibility
Added mod for normal/fast/faster dwarves

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 03:25:35 pm »

V1.4

Combined Exotic pets/mounts (don't know practical effect of exotic or regular mounts, but it doesn't really matter).
Added laptop keybinds option (exactly the same as the LazyNewb pack)

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »

Oh wow! You really are making this perfect for LazyNewb Pack. Awesome.
Also tool-tips are a great addition! Check the grammar of a few of them though. The one for Invaders is an incomplete sentence and Economy's needs to be re-worded

I really want to pack this into LNP but you are releasing new versions out the wazoo so I won't just yet. Tell me when you think I should pack a version in quickly, or if I should at all.

I had a (PIPE DREAM) idea, which would be ambitious and probably need to be a SEPARATE utility, made after DFConfig, and might not be something you personally would want to attempt.
Edit: Also I think newer versions of DF might make this redundant.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:33:43 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 04:50:28 pm »

Oh wow! You really are making this perfect for LazyNewb Pack. Awesome.
Also tool-tips are a great addition! Check the grammar of a few of them though. The one for Invaders is an incomplete sentence and Economy's needs to be re-worded

I really want to pack this into LNP but you are releasing new versions out the wazoo so I won't just yet. Tell me when you think I should pack a version in quickly, or if I should at all.

I had a (PIPE DREAM) idea, which would be ambitious and probably need to be a SEPARATE utility, made after DFConfig, and might not be something you personally would want to attempt.
Edit: Also I think newer versions of DF might make this redundant.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I can have it read options by default you can pack it in with your pack.  I'll let you know when that is.

I'll go over the tooltips as well.

I had the same pipedream, and I'm planning on doing it.  But not exactly sure how right now.  I think I'll put it in a later version of this, just need to download a lot of tilesets and make sure they're working okay.

Edit - I'm downloading your pack, and the three alternate tilesets to give it a shot.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:53:41 pm by Mason11987 »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 07:11:32 pm »

V1.5 - Pipedream fulfilled.

As far as I can tell it works and you can now switch tilesets by clicking on the one you want. 

Some help testing would be great.

Lucas, I packed in with my .exe a "tilesets" folder which has a folder with each tileset.  In each is an art folder, a raw folder, and an init file.

Eventually when this becomes part of the LazyNewb pack you should be able to just drop it in as is and it'll work, and new tilesets can be added/updated by me relatively easily.

First post now credits creators of the four tilesets I've added by default.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:21:42 pm by Mason11987 »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 07:23:15 pm »

Holy Cheese! :o
Thats amazing.
I'll get right on to testing it.

Could you give me some details on how it changes the files? You must have it just copying files over right now, not changing specific bits in the raw files. This is fine for my pack, but its important if people try to install mods/change their raw files in some way. How does it deal with save game raws? Does it replace all savegames raws completely with the main raws?

This may be too much to ask, but could you make the tileset-change a drop-menu, that auto-populates with whatever tile sets are in the folder?
That would make them easy to add and update.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 07:35:26 pm »

Holy Cheese! :o
Thats amazing.
I'll get right on to testing it.

Could you give me some details on how it changes the files? You must have it just copying files over right now, not changing specific bits in the raw files. This is fine for my pack, but its important if people try to install mods/change their raw files in some way. How does it deal with save game raws? Does it replace all savegames raws completely with the main raws?

This may be too much to ask, but could you make the tileset-change a drop-menu, that auto-populates with whatever tile sets are in the folder?
That would make them easy to add and update.

It's really simple how it does it.  Here are the comments in my code:

'delete raw folder
'copy tilesets/NAME/raw to raw folder.
'Run df_savegame_updater.bat (doesn't do this yet)
'delete data/art folder
'copy tilesets/NAME/art folder to data/art
'delete data/init/init.txt
'Copy tilesets/NAME/init.txt to data/init/init.txt

I put this up in hopes that people would tell me if the tilesets worked perfectly or not.  But there are a few steps before this is "done".
  • My "Mods" change raws, replacing raws from the tilesets folder undoes these.  I can handle this, I just haven't yet.
  • Save game raws aren't yet affected, but I think the df_updater can handle that, I could even run that myself probably.
    • Edit - Confirmed this definitely works, put it in my code and it brought up the df_updater bat file, and the update worked when I loaded up old saves.  I intend to duplicate this function so noone needs to see the cmd window
  • I'm certain that various mods can screw this up.  But those users aren't particularly my audience for this program.

It shouldn't be a problem to make a drop down/autopopulate, I don't know a lot about tilesets, but I'm running on the assumption that the changes I take are sufficient and any/all tilesets can be used by putting them in that format (raw/art/init).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:49:50 pm by Mason11987 »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 07:56:36 pm »

Problems:
Everytime tileset is changes, raw and init changes are reset. all Mods and some DFConfig changes would be removed. Warn users of this effect!
Either need to ONLY modify specific parts of the raw files EDIT: Okay this is an eventual goal
OR AT LEAST update interface to reflect that raws are back to default (IE Aquifers, Exotic Pets, and Normal Dwarves are back!)

Is this intentional?:
"Phoebus" tileset option puts graphics, graphics_Mayday, AND graphics_Phoebus folders in \raw folder
Also shouldn't the folder always be called "graphics" ? no matter the tileset?

Suggestion:
In tileset folder, structure file contents exactly how they would be in a DF folder, making it easy to put in a graphics pack and the program automatically using the proper files.
Do graphic folders need to be named things like "graphics_Phoebus" ? If they could be just "graphics" in addition to the above, any newb could throw another tileset, or update, into your pack.

Yes, running df_savegame_updater will copy all RAWS into savegames. However there is a problem with it, in that it only ADDs the contents of the graphics folder instead of REPLACING IT, which causes there to be files from multiple graphic sets to pool in there.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:49:13 pm by LucasUP »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 08:09:53 pm »

Problems:
Everytime tileset is changes, raw and init changes are reset. all Mods and some DFConfig changes would be removed. Warn users of this effect!
Either need to ONLY modify specific parts of the raw files EDIT: Okay this is an eventual goal
OR AT LEAST update interface to reflect that raws are back to default (IE Aquifers, Exotic Pets, and Normal Dwarves are back!)

Is this intentional?:
"Phoebus" tileset option puts graphics, graphics_Mayday, AND graphics_Phoebus folders in \raw folder
Also shouldn't the folder always be called "graphics" ? no matter the tileset?

Suggestion:
In tileset folder, structure file contents exactly how they would be in a DF folder, making it easy to put in a graphics pack and the program automatically using the proper files.
Do graphic folders need to be named things like "graphics_Phoebus" ? If they could be just "graphics" in addition to the above, any newb could throw another tileset, or update, into your pack.

Yes, running df_savegame_updater will copy all RAWS into savegames. However there is a problem with it, in that it only ADDs the contents of the graphics folder instead of REPLACING IT, which causes there to be files from multiple graphic sets to pool in there.

Ultimately, changing the tileset will apply your chosen settings to the new raws.
Fixed the problem with the graphics_etc stuff.  That was lingering from my first attempt.  everything will just be called "graphics" as expected.  Thanks for spotting this.
Suggestion: I COULD do that, but most tilesets are packaged with extra stuff that isn't needed for this, and I was hoping to keep the filesize as low as possible.  I'm not completely against the idea though, both options have their merits.

I took the savegame updater and created my own version which I'll package with the next release, mine runs silently/hidden.  messing with it to delete old stuff is certainly possible but this works atm so I'm not too concerned with it.

Thanks for testing, I very much appreciate it.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 08:58:49 pm »

V1.6
  • Tileset swaps now auto-apply to all save games
  • Tilesets are now in a dropdown and new tilesets can be added and will show up in the dropdown.  To add new ones, Add a folder in "tilesets", directly inside that folder have the tilesets "raw" folder, the tilesets "art" folder (found in it's data folder), and it's init.txt file (found in it's "data/init/" folder)
  • Fixed graphics_x problem
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:01:02 pm by Mason11987 »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 09:12:56 pm »

messing with it to delete old stuff is certainly possible but this works atm so I'm not too concerned with it.
Actually what ends up happening is that saves start using the wrong graphics for things, since there are conflicting files. But yeah, no crashes or anything serious.

I don't know a lot about tilesets, but I'm running on the assumption that the changes I take are sufficient and any/all tilesets can be used by putting them in that format (raw/art/init).
As far as I know, yes. Raw files for defining what colors and tile-positions to use (you'll have to ask a tilesetter to find out which specific raw files have these),
raw\graphics for the graphical tiles, art for tileset, init for which tileset to use.

Suggestion: I COULD do that, but most tilesets are packaged with extra stuff that isn't needed for this, and I was hoping to keep the filesize as low as possible.  I'm not completely against the idea though, both options have their merits.
My idea was that it would be easy to delete the unnecessary files. Also some sets only have the necessary files in this format anyways!
If people want to download new packs and put them in, there will be redundant data there, but it wont effect the initial pack-size (because we will have deleted the extra crap).
Heck, you could even have it automatically delete everything except for the required files automatically. But its unnecessary because its easy to do for the packagers.

Another thing: choosing the "tileset" (in art) can be a seperate option from choosing the "graphic set".
Notice how most graphic sets have more then one tileset, with different options?
The art folder can actually contain every single tileset from every single pack (assuming no name conflicts between sets).
Although its probably good to keep it only the options for the current graphic set (as you currently have it). The init is the only thing that decides what tileset in art the game uses.

Another optional suggestion is to be able to disable GRAPHICS and use ASCII (use tileset options only)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:15:28 pm by LucasUP »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 09:20:48 pm »

Thanks for the info.

I'll improve on the save game updater to avoid problem with wrong graphics.

You convinced me, I'll switch the tilesets folder layout to use... (Edit: Done for 1.7)
Folder\raw
Folder\data\art
Folder\data\init\init.txt

Also, default ASCII is a "duh" thing, I'll add that. (Edit: Done for 1.7)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:33:41 pm by Mason11987 »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:31 am »

I thought you fixed this, but in v1.6 the tileset folders still have "graphics_TILESETNAME" (except for in Phoebus')
This is causing creature/dwarf graphics to not show up! but its as easy as renaming the folders to "graphics". Once I did myself, it worked for me.

I can't believe how much work you've put into this over such a short period of time! Great job!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 04:46:43 am »

It needs to be able to swap tilesets+raws at once , because different tilesets map tiles differently. It will be of a great use then.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 04:54:23 am »

Good sir. This is awesome and you should feel awesome.
Would you be interested in a set of suggestions on making it the ULTIMATE gfx installer?
<3
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4