Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forced Dig  (Read 5440 times)

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forced Dig
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:42:50 am »

The Wet stone and Warm stone warnings pause the game and undo dig designations wherever they appear. When on the surface below features such as a murky pool or whatnot, it it sometimes obvious to the player that there is water above them and it would be safe to dig. However, the game forces you to slowly reassign every tile that is wet as it is revealed by further digging. The Magma sea makes this problem even worse once you discover it and try to mine around for the important metals down there.

I would like to suggest some variant of a dig command that allows you to ignore any warm/wet stone messages and force the miners to dig anyway. Would this be possible?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Forced Dig
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:53:37 am »

When on the surface below features such as a murky pool or whatnot, it it sometimes obvious to the player that there is water above them and it would be safe to dig. However, the game forces you to slowly reassign every tile that is wet as it is revealed by further digging.

Do you mean that you want to be able to force your dwarfs to flood a room from above? That would be an interesting feature, but I don't quite understand the problem the magma sea presents. Are you saying that when your dwarfs hit hot/wet rock, ALL dig designations are removed?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:14:38 pm »

Designations are only canceled when a newly revealed tile is damp/warm.

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:50:44 pm »

I think what the OP is suggesting is that you have the regular [d]ig designation, and then have a "forced dig" designation. Forced dig tiles will not pause and cancel digging when a dwarf finds a warm or damp one. This would be useful when you are digging out a large room above magma or below water for instance as you already KNOW those tiles are going to be wet or warm and would rather not have to redesignate digging 30 times to get the room finished.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:43:26 pm »

See, that's the part I don't understand. If my dwarfs encounter hot/wet rock, they only cancel the designation on the tiles in question. The rest of the room is dug out the same. The only reason I can think of for a forced dig is to kill off some pesky miners. Sounds like Fun.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 01:59:50 pm »

If you are digging one square above/below a magma/water area they will react to it aswell this can get really bad when you are digging under a large river/ocean/volano/above magma sea. Such an option would help but you can just remove the message from the raws aswell.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:24:31 pm »

See, that's the part I don't understand. If my dwarfs encounter hot/wet rock, they only cancel the designation on the tiles in question. The rest of the room is dug out the same. The only reason I can think of for a forced dig is to kill off some pesky miners. Sounds like Fun.

If I've got a 10x10 lake up above, and try to dig out a room underneath it, every single tile that falls underneath that 10x10 lake will be damp and will be individually canceled.  Other tiles that aren't under the lake will not be damp and will not be canceled.

It's especially annoying when the first row of tiles gets canceled, you order them to dig again, and then the second row of tiles gets canceled.  Over and over again.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:32:51 pm »

You can adjust the alerts so that the game does not pause or center on the canceled dig tile. Digging out such a place can be a little annoying, yes, but it makes sense.

Dwarves would be nervous digging through damp or hot rock, and would be very reluctant to continue digging. Just takes a bit of extra encouragement to get them to keep on digging.

Also the situation generally doesn't come up that often. If you have a 10x10 lake why not leave an undug level between the lake floor and the rooms under it? Looks better too, rather than having paper thin floors supporting that much water.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 07:09:00 pm »

Paper thin floors that in reality are cracked and would leak like crazy and probably collapse resulting in the entire lake going down  into the cavern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHol4ICeDoo

*Edit* RL FUN!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:19:15 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 07:04:00 am »

You can adjust the alerts so that the game does not pause or center on the canceled dig tile. Digging out such a place can be a little annoying, yes, but it makes sense.

You can, but that's an across-the-board/permanent change.  Unless you go back in afterward and edit the files again.

If I'm digging out a random chunk of rock somewhere underground, and I don't know what's down there, I want my dwarves to cancel and warn me if they find damp/warm stone.  If I'm digging out a chunk of rock underneath some water or magma, and I know it is there, and I think I know what I'm doing - I just want them to do what they're told.

It would be nice to have a way to have both behaviors in the game simultaneously, without having to keep editing files.

Dwarves would be nervous digging through damp or hot rock, and would be very reluctant to continue digging. Just takes a bit of extra encouragement to get them to keep on digging.

Keep in mind that these are the same dwarves who will happily channel out beneath their own feet, and then plummet to their deaths.  Or who would rather dodge into magma than get bitten by a marmot.

Also the situation generally doesn't come up that often. If you have a 10x10 lake why not leave an undug level between the lake floor and the rooms under it? Looks better too, rather than having paper thin floors supporting that much water.

It comes up often enough for me...

Depending on the fort I may very well leave an entire un-dug floor intact...  Or I might not.

I'll usually have a whole z-level devoted to magma plumbing underneath my workshops.  I don't want to lose two z-levels to that plumbing if I don't have to.

Or I'll set up some water plumbing and a cistern...  Again, I don't want to lose an entire additional z-level buffer every time I run a water pipe.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 07:13:23 am »

I agree.  Maybe an (alt+d) designation.  It would make life better.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 07:52:49 am »

And there's still the chance that where you thought was safe, and Not A Problem, actually involved breaching a magma pipe or aquifer.

Though I'd actually quite like a little extra information available, along the lines of "damp <stone> wall" revealing why it's damp (i.e. is it because of Z-adjacent liquid (up or down, that info would be useful too) or because it's an aquifer/underground lake edge[1]), I think it's a pretty integral part of the game that this remains a mystery until you push too far... :)

[1] There's a little inconsistency in that a tile dug out retains a paper-thin floor or ceiling, but never has paper-thin walls.  But that's an artefact of the game/environment mechanics and implementation.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 09:04:20 am »

And there's still the chance that where you thought was safe, and Not A Problem, actually involved breaching a magma pipe or aquifer.

True, but I guess I'm willing to take my chances.

Though I'd actually quite like a little extra information available, along the lines of "damp <stone> wall" revealing why it's damp (i.e. is it because of Z-adjacent liquid (up or down, that info would be useful too) or because it's an aquifer/underground lake edge[1]), I think it's a pretty integral part of the game that this remains a mystery until you push too far... :)

That would be handy for normal digging...  But I'd really like the option to tell my dwarves to just shut up and dig.

[1] There's a little inconsistency in that a tile dug out retains a paper-thin floor or ceiling, but never has paper-thin walls.  But that's an artefact of the game/environment mechanics and implementation.

Do we really know that they're "paper thin"?  I mean...  I guess I assumed that they're pretty thin along with everyone else.  Especially since you don't generate any additional stone by channeling if you've already dug out what's underneath...  But we don't really know how tall a z-level is, much less how much room there is in-between them.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 11:34:34 am »

we don't really know how tall a z-level is, much less how much room there is in-between them.
I realize that this is based on no reliable information whatsoever, but since water is on a scale of x/7, AND since dwarfs are short, I assume that each z level is 7 feet. A 7' hallway is more than enough for the dwarfs to be comfortable, and it helps me to visualize their surroundings.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 03:08:14 pm »

Supporting this topic by quoting from the #bay12games channel:

[17:37:57] * Sfon wishes there was a "fuck you I know what I'm doing" dig designation.
Pages: [1] 2