Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone here played oblivion:shivering isles?(minor spoilers)  (Read 2901 times)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys.
I was getting my fix for pretty games the other day and playing oblivion when I came across Relmyna Verenims dungeon: the one with all the "test subjects" and as I wandered through I read the notes about swapping the blood of various undead creatures to try to make them more fearsome and resistant to pain.

In one chamber a pile of corpses lie bellow one pinned to the wall opposite an arrow trap beside a desk with paper and quills for taking notes.
In another an unarmed elven maiden is locked in a chamber bellow a floor grate into which is released a number of creatures as part of an experiment to see if the presence of a living subject makes one of the creatures more fearsome.
In yet another an elf is locked in a cage with a spear trap which you can trigger.

And as I wandered I thought about how it was a pity the game couldn't actually let players have that kind of control.... how it would be cool if there was a game which allowed you that kind of cont.... and then I realized that Relmyna Verenim, the psychopath was merely an average dwarf fortress modder conducting Dwarven Science!

With the exception of the section where she keeps torturing the elves to death with magic then raising them from the dead and repeating I'm fairly sure everything being done or even described in her notes is possible within Dwarf Fortress with a little messing around with the raws.

On that note anyone else had similar experiences in other games?

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here played oblivion:shivering isles?(minor spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:43:32 am »

With the exception of the section where she keeps torturing the elves to death with magic then raising them from the dead and repeating

Dwarf companion/Runesmith
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:47:34 am »

I've played it all. I'm getting started on the DLCs now (after four years - yay for digital distribution!) and am playing with FCOM Extended, QTP3 Redimized and all the bells and whistles.

Amazing game. Not as deep as DF, but just as entertaining. :D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:17:31 am »

Cheese for everyone!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:26:33 am »

Sheogorath is a pretty cool guy,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I like Morrowind more (by and large). I also might add that the game CAN be as deep as DF if you're using the level creator, in a sense. You can do a lot of clever scripting things that the developers never bothered to.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:30:20 pm »

Yeah, Sheogorath is pretty cool.

I always liked "Change will preserve us! It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!"