Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Huge Cavern with Cave Spider  (Read 1138 times)

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Huge Cavern with Cave Spider
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:20:40 am »

Hey all,

I just got the Mayday pack 31.08 fired up. It has been a while since I played, there are quite a few differences. This aside however, I embarked on a 5x5 area with volcano. Lots of obsidian, some flux and I think some hematite as well. Ok, so I was flying right along making lots of little mistakes. I decide its time to move the smelters and forges inside and utilize my lava rather than trees. To make a long story short at Z-Level 122 I found a GYNORMOUS cavern with lots of cave spider silks, a large herbivour whose name i cant remember but it feeds off the tops of tower caps and gives like 32 meat ect when butchered. Muddy down there and did I mention HUGE?.... Ohh My oh Myy.....what to do what to do?? I do have a clean save of the map that has not even been embarked upon. Oh, it has a river too. The possibilities for mega projects boggle my poor newbish mind! Now mind I did not use any kind of reveal type utility or any thing like that. I had no idea there was a gigantic cavern down there that was butted up against the volcano...man i mean this thing is really big...

Anyhow...its late and im tired. If anyone is interested just holler.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Cavern with Cave Spider
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:09:41 am »

That stuff is pretty much everywhere in the new versions. Keep digging, but be careful.

Very careful.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:18:57 am »

*stuff i edited out*

gosh, i wish i hadn't followed the development thread, i'd love to be as surprised as this guy
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:32:56 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:32:43 am »

Way to spoil him all the surprizes, Askot.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:41:27 am »

gosh, i wish i hadn't followed the development thread, i'd love to be as surprised as this guy

Removed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:35:01 am by Richards »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:33:31 am »

yeah, that was dumb. rectified

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:10:50 pm »

Ok, so i found mention of the magma sea a bit later while reading wiki articles. So volcano's as it turns out are old news :) I am still kinda in shock over that giant cavern. It was not shown on the map, and the show caverns option was ticked. Should be interesting to see how this shapes up... I smell a close quarters combat scenario coming up!

And remember folks, Loosing is fun!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:17:59 pm »

You mean losing is fun ;).
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:19:04 pm »

It was not shown on the map, and the show caverns option was ticked.

Could have been the "show caves" option. Caves are different from the giant caverns, and generally consists of hollow hills with an entrance in one side. Inside, they're similar to caves from the older versions, but a bit more cramped as there's less horizontal space in the upper levels.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.