Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temperatures and Spec Heat  (Read 721 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Temperatures and Spec Heat
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »

There may already be a thread along these lines, but I couldn't locate one with search, so:

If a stone has a high fixed temperature, but also a high spec heat, will that cause heat to disseminate from it more slowly? If not, are there any other ways of setting the temperature of an inorganic material?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Temperatures and Spec Heat
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »

Fixed temps are, as the name implies, fixed. They wont change and as such the specific temp how no influence.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 02:30:22 pm »

The OP probably means to say that if SPEC_HEAT actually affects how fast said stone will burn things that come in contact with it. I've experimented with FIXED_TEMP and several different temperatures, and so far, the speed of burnination depends on the actual temp level. A fixed temp of 12000 will eventually melt things and set others on fire, while a temperature of 35000 will instantly sublimate anything it contacts, and ignites objects instantly.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 02:46:16 pm »

Hmm... So what happens if we make some sort of thing that has a fixed_temp less than freezing? Would there be any safe way to handle it?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:09:19 pm »

Hmm... So what happens if we make some sort of thing that has a fixed_temp less than freezing? Would there be any safe way to handle it?

One sure way is to tweak the dorf's materials in the creature_standard file so that they do not have a cold damage point.

For example, under the [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] tag in the dwarf entry, insert:

Code: [Select]
    [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
        [COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]

This should make all dwarves immune to the effects of cold temperatures (except, of course, having a 7/7 water level freeze over while a dorf is in it).

If you do not want to mod the dwarves as above, there's a possibility that I have not tested: Have whoever is handling the hazardous material be dressed from head to toe with clothing made from a material that either has no cold damage point, or it is far below freezing temperature. This SHOULD (theoretically) keep the dwarf safe.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:15:59 pm »

They should still be okay with temperatures less than freezing but not too cold. If they aren't, that's pretty strange. They can carry ice...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.