A hammer
- 25 (20.3%)
An elf corpse
- 17 (13.8%)
A miners pick
- 23 (18.7%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which one of these weapons is the dwarfiest?  (Read 1597 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Which one of these weapons is the dwarfiest?
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:27:18 am »

I cannot decide

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Re: Which one of these weapons is the dwarfiest?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:34:04 am »

Elf Corpse
Pick
Axe
Hammer
Mace
Sword
Spear
Misc. Object
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:36:20 am »

Gotta go with the pick. Picks through goblin skulls as easily as rock.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:52:11 am »

What? No. True dwarves pick up a nearby random object like a cockroach and launch it through their enemies brain, heart, left and right lung, and scrotum all at the same time.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:16:08 am »

A Bardiche.  It's a historical heavy transitional weapon that can be used for everything an axe can, and also some of the things you'd want a polearm for, but remains short enough to be practical for dwarves and tunnel-fighting. 

Interestingly enough, the large axe blade would seem to be one of the few weapons that would be practical for getting severs on large creatures in close quarters; it's the logical development of the Danish-style war axe when faced with a combination of large targets (historically mounted heavy cavalry) that are resistant to cutting attacks (heavily armored).  If you want to take your dwarves forward into steampunk territory, later on it was modified only slightly to be a combination close-quarters weapon and firing brace for early firearms; instead of the single-task forked pole rest used by Spanish, etc. troops, the Russian "Streltsy" used a bardiche, which gave them an effective close-quarter weapon immediately to hand if their formation was rushed while reloading. 

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »

allow me to make the by now compulsory magma reference here.
This is a blank sig.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:26:36 pm »

I was going to add magma to the list but then i decided not to because everybody would choose it.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:18:39 pm »

I was going to add magma to the list but then i decided not to because everybody would choose it.

Maybe that should tell you something...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 01:20:17 pm »

How about a pickaxe - dwarven style? One side pick, one side axe. One side to mine your claim, another one to defend it.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 01:44:53 pm »

A Bardiche.  It's a historical heavy transitional weapon that can be used for everything an axe can, and also some of the things you'd want a polearm for, but remains short enough to be practical for dwarves and tunnel-fighting. 

Interestingly enough, the large axe blade would seem to be one of the few weapons that would be practical for getting severs on large creatures in close quarters; it's the logical development of the Danish-style war axe when faced with a combination of large targets (historically mounted heavy cavalry) that are resistant to cutting attacks (heavily armored).  If you want to take your dwarves forward into steampunk territory, later on it was modified only slightly to be a combination close-quarters weapon and firing brace for early firearms; instead of the single-task forked pole rest used by Spanish, etc. troops, the Russian "Streltsy" used a bardiche, which gave them an effective close-quarter weapon immediately to hand if their formation was rushed while reloading.
That's astounding logic.

How about a pickaxe - dwarven style? One side pick, one side axe. One side to mine your claim, another one to defend it.
Too OP.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:59:36 pm »

Warhammer and battle axe.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:37:38 pm »

Dwarves use hammers to mete out justice.

As for which one is dwarfiest, to get an answer you must first ask "Which one is crafted the best"

A xxcopper daggerxx isn't as dwarfy as a *Tin Toy Hammer*
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 03:42:34 pm »

I picked elf corpse for comedic value, but the dwarfiest weapon to me is definitely a good axe, either a poleaxe or a huge battle axe.
Pickaxes are nice too, but usually a pick associated with combat doesn't have the axe part.

Apolloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 04:02:52 pm »

I chose hammer, but really in my fortress the dwarfiest weapon is crossbow bolts fashioned from the ribs of the last enemy we fought.

Afthartos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 12:15:35 am »

I have to say that beard would be the dwarfiest weapon. Imagine your Urist McBeard going to the enemy and strangling it with his beard
YOU SIR, HAVE COMMITED DORF SCIENCE!
Pages: [1] 2