Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Blunt weapons should ignore armour  (Read 11050 times)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt weapons should ignore armour
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2010, 04:56:28 am »

Wow!  It's been a while since I've been on the forum and I wish I could have been here when this thread started.  Vester and marcusbjol pretty much covered everything I wanted to say, but I have 2 neat links to share and 2 question/statement things to post.

Cool links:
http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/GTA/motions_and_impacts.htm
http://www.thearma.org/essays/impacts.htm

These deal with swords primarily but some of the info might pertain to the discussion at hand.  I'd love to know what some of you think about these articles...

Questions/statements:

1. Ok, so I understand that a heavy fast mass impacting something is going to have a lot more of an impact than a light thing of the same speed, which is why person on horse going 15mph + lance > person off of horse running at 15mph + lance, like Neonivek said.  That makes sense on many levels.  What doesn't make sense to me is any reason given thus far about the merits of a footsoldier using a heavier weapon vs. a lighter one given all other attributes of weapon and wielder being equal (length, balance, structural integrity, etc.).  As far as I can tell (purely speculation), melee weapons IRL weighed what they did because of unavoidable structural considerations and weighed as little as possible.  I could be making a terrible oversimplification here, but lemme give ya something to ponder mathematically. 

KE = (1/2)mv^2
F = ma

Right?  Therefore, the energy of a weapon is directly proportional to its mass and proportional to the square of its velocity.  The force needed to move a weapon to a given velocity is directly proportional to its mass.  This means speed wins out over mass in terms of energy of impact, and the lighter the weapon, the less force it takes to get it moving to a certain speed.  Therefore, I'd say, that a hypothetical creature of equal dimensions as a human able to wield a 20lb sword as fast as a human could wield a 3lb sword would be better off wielding a 3lb sword simply because that creature would be able to wield that 3lb sword muuuuuuch faster than the 20lb one while attaining the same kinetic energy.  With this logic, the earlier-mentioned platinum hammer, even if in a fantastical universe and able to resist deformation, would be a terrible weapon in any case.  Whatcha all think?   

2. marcusbjol: will you be at Pennsic War this year??? :3

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2010, 06:12:40 am »

just remeber that the human body can only move so fast.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 07:01:58 am »

What Funk said.

Also, if a weapon is too light, wouldn't all that energy go into breaking the weapon and sending it spinning away? But that's maybe what you mean by unavoidable structural considerations.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 09:33:36 am »

2) "to the victor belong the spoils"mercenarys and huscarls and other professional fighters get better kit from the dead.
3) armor and weapons are passed on down the generations.

Not forgetting there's a tendency that good armour gets passed down, or remains attractive to the 'battlefield shopper'...  (The helmet that cracked doesn't get re-used, but the breastplate that survived unscathed is a valued item.)

Also reminds me of the WW2 analysis that was done of bulletholes in bombers (maybe, could be apocryphal, but makes sense) where charts were made of bulletholes, so one knew where they should be additionally armoured.  Someone pointed out that the bombers that were looked at were the ones that returned[/] and where they perhaps should be adding extra armour was on the bits that (with, after all, an almost totally random distribution of potential bullet-hits spread over all the entire airframe[1]) had been recorded with fewer bullet-holes, or none, as no planes hit there had returned...

[1] Give or take standard patterns of attack, I know, but YGTI.

Realistically, there should be a comprehensive strength-to-weight ratio for wielded items.
In another game of my prior acquaintence (not online enough to do it justice, these days, I took to dual-wielding heavy swords.  Normally one would hold a heavy sword in two hands, but you could specifically hold one in a named hand so you could have a shield, or lighter weapon in the other[2], much as with almost any weapon in game...

Though I had near-max strength (a couple of points short, IIRC) and I still got the message about "struggling to hold the <second item>" when equipping both in each hand.  I know I got performance penalties for doing this, but I was never really a kill-chasing player, and I suppose that was one of my few points of vanity.

[2] I don't recall there being much advantage to doing this, apart from the fact that you could execute 'specials' from either item without having to swap in and out of scabbards, etc.  There was no "dual-weapon" skill that meant you could fight with a rapier and a short-blade.  Well, you could fight with them, but without any specific tricks (courtesy of either hollywood or real-life) involving both...

Anyway, that all looks off-topic to me, now I've read even further down the thread.  Apologies.

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2010, 01:15:02 pm »

Andeerz,

The KE = (1/2)mv^2 (energy needed to get something up to speed) ends up being different than the energy delivered.  If that were true, SCA combat does not have a min weight requirement for weapons, and everyone would have a 1lb sword.

I wish I had the schooling to explain this properly, but when swinging a weapon, energy is given to it.  When it hits, most of the energy is transferred to the target.  The issue becomes with the word most.  If the energy to penetrate the armor is greater than the energy needed to break the weapon, the weapon will break and energy is lost.  Lighter generally means weaker.

Weapons genearally were the heaviest one could use and practice with for 30 min at a stretch.  Yes, sword work requires practice, lots of it.  Meadeval swords practice starts with a pell, a log stuck in the ground.  One would practice a sword shot by hitting the pell in the same exact spot.  I would start my practice by puttin a piece of duct tape on the pell (where I wanted to practice hitting), then striking that tape untill it fell off.  Somewhere between 100-300 shots daily.  For 2 years.  And yes, even after all this, I preferred a 4lb sword.

Iden

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Speardwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »

1. Ok, so I understand that a heavy fast mass impacting something is going to have a lot more of an impact than a light thing of the same speed, which is why person on horse going 15mph + lance > person off of horse running at 15mph + lance, like Neonivek said.  That makes sense on many levels.  What doesn't make sense to me is any reason given thus far about the merits of a footsoldier using a heavier weapon vs. a lighter one given all other attributes of weapon and wielder being equal (length, balance, structural integrity, etc.).  As far as I can tell (purely speculation), melee weapons IRL weighed what they did because of unavoidable structural considerations and weighed as little as possible.  I could be making a terrible oversimplification here, but lemme give ya something to ponder mathematically.

As armor grew heavier, so did weapons. Stronger armor requires more power, and more mass generates more power to penetrate stronger armor. Any man who is a soldier by profession works for his job. He has professional training, and does (or should do) training regularly to hone his skills. By the time he goes out into heavy combat, he would be well-prepared to do combat with the weapons and armors he were to be using. There is certainly a tipping point, however, where weight is detrimental to wielding potential, and you need to be increasingly stronger to wield a weapon effectively for a long period of time.

Weaponsmiths and armorsmiths struggled to find a perfect balance between weight, power, and structural integrity. Hence the evolution from [ copper -> brass -> iron -> steel ] over the ages. You always want the most for your money, and if you can have a sword that is as effective as your enemies, but lighter, you have an advantage. Fullers (blood grooves) were added to blades in an attempt to lighten the blade while keeping the edge of the blade as strong as possible.

Not sure how to read into what you said, so i'm taking a shot at it: Weapons were not made as light as possible. They needed to be heavy to have power. But they were made to be as light as possible so that it's wielder could still wield it. Taking into account the general force necessary to overcome armor was also necessary. More mass translates directly into more power and more force generated, and to penetrate heavier armors you needed more power & force. Power that a lighter weapons did not have.

The KE = (1/2)mv^2 (energy needed to get something up to speed) ends up being different than the energy delivered.  If that were true, SCA combat does not have a min weight requirement for weapons, and everyone would have a 1lb sword.

I wish I had the schooling to explain this properly, but when swinging a weapon, energy is given to it.  When it hits, most of the energy is transferred to the target.  The issue becomes with the word most.  If the energy to penetrate the armor is greater than the energy needed to break the weapon, the weapon will break and energy is lost.  Lighter generally means weaker.

Weapons genearally were the heaviest one could use and practice with for 30 min at a stretch.  Yes, sword work requires practice, lots of it.  Meadeval swords practice starts with a pell, a log stuck in the ground.  One would practice a sword shot by hitting the pell in the same exact spot.  I would start my practice by puttin a piece of duct tape on the pell (where I wanted to practice hitting), then striking that tape untill it fell off.  Somewhere between 100-300 shots daily.  For 2 years.  And yes, even after all this, I preferred a 4lb sword.

You sound like you do a lot of targetting practice. Good idea, I need to get in the habit of that. What I have a greater habit of doing is working on control. From some longsword training I have done, I was taught to attack a Pell, and stop your swing just before hitting the pell. However, the real trick was to use as much strength and speed as possible, while still stopping yourself. If you never hit the pell, you were never performing at the edge of ability and you would not prove. If you always hit the pell, you were being too sloppy and not learning control. The trick was to do it such that you hit the pell perhaps 2-4 times out of ten. That way you were always working on the edge of limits and always trying to improve your muscle control and strength.

Another interesting thing I think a lot of people don't consider is that armor and weapons, if you were having them made for you, were made to your own specifications. The less wealthy, the common (peasant soldiers) and some mercenaries would not have the wealth to afford custom-made weapons and would buy what they could or scavenge. But typically your equipment was made specifically to suit you. A smaller man would, typically, wield a slightly smaller blade than a larger man. Of course you need to take into account build and strength, but fact of the matter is a smaller man could not wield a larger blade effectively, not like a larger man could. Even if it doesn't come down to a matter of strength, if he has sufficient strength to wield a larger blade, it becomes an issue when it is too long for him to account for where it is, or it is too long and the blade is prone to hitting the ground and ruining his attacks or parries. General rule with the people I knew in the SCA was if you held your arms at rest and held the sword point-down, and swung it, it shouldn't hit the ground or it might be a problem. (for 1-handed swords)
Legendary Conversationalist
Legendary Persuader
Legendary Writer of Epics

I support AMMDF!

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 04:08:00 pm »

I've done some SCA stuff myself, and yes, it definitely ends up coming down to a question of endurance if both people are using heavy weapons and armor. A light weapon has almost no chance against a heavy weapon, the sheer difference in mass means that the light weapon is easily swatted away, if not outright broken, by the heavier weapon. The light weapon also tends to have no chance in getting through heavy armor unless there's a lucky hit in the gap of the armor. Hitting such a tiny gap is more a matter of luck than skill due to how difficult close combat is.

You will seriously be sweating rivers within only a few minutes of it. Armor is hot, heavy, and very tiresome. But it will protect you. Also the whole idea of dancing around the battlefield, being quick and moving fast, is just stupid. Yes, you can outrun me if I'm wearing heavy armor. So what? I'll walk and get there eventually, and when I do I'm going to win. If you're just going to stay outside of range of my weapons, then fine. I'll go set your camp on fire if you don't want to fight. ;)

Even ranged weapons are nearly useless against heavy plate. Add in a shield and any archer will just run out of ammunition.

Mobility based warfare is a new invention. Mobility generally is not that important with medieval style tactics. Essentially it comes down to two battle lines meeting and hashing things out, hand to hand. Its not fancy, its not pretty, but thats how it was done. Speed is not very important, what matters is being able to absorb damage without going down while dishing out damage yourself, and well made armor is nearly immune to anything but the spike on a warhammer. Or guns. Even then, well made plate could withstand an amazing amount of gunfire.

Even improvised armor can soak up gunfire at point blank range without failing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, its Iron Man armor. IRL. Sadly, he never got around to making armor for his arms and legs, and that was his downfall. Torso and head were immune to bullets though.

And if that armor is bouncing bullets with ease, your bladed weapons probably aren't going to do much so long as the joints are protected, and the joints should be protected with either overlapping plates in such a way that a blade cannot slide between them, and/or chainmail at the joints.
that was ned kelly's armour wasn't it?
Also on the topic of armour being immune to gunfire, even in the 1600's a good quality set of gothic or italian plate could stop pistol balls and very good suits were also proofed against handgun fire ( at medium to long range)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:24 pm »

Yes, it was Ned Kelly's armor. The armor proved to be extremely useful at stopping bullets, but his arms and legs were not armored, and so thats how they finally took him down.

Gothic plate was nearly immune to muskets except for at point blank range, the only problem with the Gothic plate (or other extremely advanced armor) is that it was a masterwork, costing a mountain of gold to produce, and had to be individually made for the person wearing it. Generally only a king or other very important noble could afford it, and a king would not be on the front lines on the battlefield.

The downfall of armor was that it was cheaper to hire and train new men than it was to produce armor capable of withstanding gunfire. Men were less expensive than the armor, and so rather than buying armor for them, just replace your losses with new recruits. I'm sure if the empires of the 1700's and 1800's had unlimited piles of gold, armor may have still been a worthwhile investment, but those grand, world-spanning empires were continually teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, which is what fueled the endless wars between them.

Only very recently has the value of a single soldier's life become high enough that the country fielding him is willing to spend vast amounts of money protecting him. Its pretty much just the US since Vietnam.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DARPA is working on making a new suit of armor for a new type of soldier. The only problem is power generation. The powered exoskeletons do exist. They work. Attaching armor plating to the exoskeleton is trivial. You can easily fit a few hundred pounds of armor onto that thing, rendering the solider nearly immune to small arms fire. Bullets would literally just bounce off him. You'd need to point an anti-tank weapon at him to get him to bother to take cover.

Powering the exoskeleton is not trivial. Conventional batteries just do not work for longer than a few minutes.

Where is Tony Stark and a miniaturized arc reactor when you need one?  :(
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:57:29 pm by Hyndis »

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2010, 05:13:21 pm »

The point I was trying to makes was even with daily practice, I preferred a 4 lb sword.  To get those 100-300 shots in takes time and energy.  If I had to rest after every 3rd swing because I was tired from a 6lb sword, the training time would increase from a half hour a day to 2 or 3.  And yes, increasing the weapon weight by 50% is a huge deal.  And then there is associated muscle strains that come from using too heavy of a weapon.  Sword elbow anyone.

Living in combat is not about hitting hard.  It is about keeping control of you and your opponent.  If I have mobility and speed while my platinum wealding opponent does not, I get to dictate how the battle happens.  To the point of when the opponent can attack me.

Ned Kelly's armor - That was poorly made stuff (not evenly annealed and worked cold).  They were mounted.  Yes, I can get 1/4 steel and place it all over my body and be hard to hit.  And be hard to move.  If this were a successful tactic, it would be standard today.

A word about ancedotal evidence - Just because some armor might stop bullets, doesnt mean all should by any means.  Even the wood stick breaking my steel helm would have to ruled out (missing part of the story is it had wear).

Pell word and control - I suppose stopping might have been an idea to work on.  I have innate agression issues (very aggressive), so I focused on using the bounce doing multiple peices of tape in order... onside flat snap (first peice), offside snap (second).  Its rare the first shot kills, it usually is to setup a string of attacks... flat snap, offside, offside, deep butt wrap(leftie here).  One must always be prepared for the miss (instead of a bounce), I had a friend sprain her wrist cause I moved my sword out of the way.

Sword lenght.. eh I perferred a slightly longer sword... the tip could hit the ground... probably different now with the new fangled thrusters (yeah, its been a.. decade for me).

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2010, 05:18:38 pm »

totally agree, during the 1520's (for England at least) a well made suit of full plate armour would cost as much as it cost to buy an entire village.
However another reason that plate fell out of favour that has yet to be mentioned was its lack of flexibilty. During the Italian wars between Spain and France the number of men at arms decreased hugely while the number of ligther calavy increased, the main reason for this was that while a charge of men at arms could be decisive (see ravenna 1512) they were unable to perform any other duties, while a reiter could perform garrasion duty, partol, forage and still be effective in battle all for a fraction of the cost, and more importantly resources, a men at arms was a truely wasteful unit, requiring not only a noble trained from birth to fight that way but several very high quality war horses, and a large amount of support troops, the lances of Charles the bold of Burgundy often featured as many as 14 men per knight. With ever increasing army sizes ( Fredinand of argon could muster 30,000 troops, Charles V had over 200,000) and casulites they were simply not worth the effort.

And yes i remember the story of how ned kelly died, you really can't go through school in aussie without being taught in numerous times (brave aussie, cruel english etc etc)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29:57 pm »

yes in the end it was the cost of the armor and the man vs the fighting power.
with better weapons and  later guns more men with a lower cost just gave more fighting for your coin.

a kight in full armor had over time gone from the first 40 day a year free to cost.
6 or so peasants can do a lot more nonfighting stuff, cost less and if some die then you have just cut the cost of paying them.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2010, 06:34:44 pm »

I'm not sure of the exact prices of gear, but consider these two options assuming both sides have equal budgets but have taken different approaches:

1 armored, bullet-proof soldier with 1 musket
vs
50 unarmored soldiers with 50 muskets

Winner should be obvious.  :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2010, 07:39:21 pm »

I'm not sure of the exact prices of gear, but consider these two options assuming both sides have equal budgets but have taken different approaches:

1 armored, bullet-proof soldier with 1 musket
vs
50 unarmored soldiers with 50 muskets

How much ammo does that one soldier have?

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2010, 10:07:20 pm »

Thats hard to say.  In modern terms, things are really bullet resistant, not proof. 

Very few things are immune to attack (the concept of proof). IRL, if the USA can see it, the USA can kill it.  The only real protection is secrecy. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:58 pm »

Thats hard to say.  In modern terms, things are really bullet resistant, not proof. 

Very few things are immune to attack (the concept of proof). IRL, if the USA can see it, the USA can kill it.  The only real protection is secrecy.

It depends by what concept. There are armors that are "Proof" against certain calibur of weapons.

The reason why bullet proof is often unused is two fold
1) Some things are designed to have a good chance of resisting a bullet but can break
and
2) Bullets include everything from pistols all the way to Tank destroyers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6