Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Blunt weapons should ignore armour  (Read 11061 times)

Iden

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Speardwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt weapons should ignore armour
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 12:48:15 am »

Other later bladed weapons though made for fighting much lighter armored opponents would have been much easier to hit gaps in the armor and unless it is a full suit there will be lots of unfortunate gaps, though finding these could go up with skill.

Are you referring to the eventual shift from heavier arming swords and long swords to the rise of later small swords and of the more commonly known rapier?

If so... then it is not exactly the need for faster blades to find openings that lead to lighter blades. In fact, if you were to match a rapier against a longsword or an arming sword, in an even match, the rapier would likely break long before either of the other blades and would be at quite a disadvantage against a heavily armored opponent.

A lighter blade possesses less mass, and therefore possesses less force, meaning it has less penetrating power than larger swords. Because of this lack of power, they were generally used primarily as cutting or thrusting weapons against unarmored foes. Due to their smaller masses, they were also more susceptible to being damaged by a larger, more powerful weapon. They were mostly useless against armored foes. Sure you could still try to find openings and weak spots, but against a heavily armored opponent who either has a sword/shield (far more defense than you), a longsword (far more power and more range), or a spear, you are horribly outmatched. A foe isn't going to simply stand around as you try to poke him in a weak spot. You have a better chance of closing in on an opponent and stabbing them in the armpit with a dagger than you do of poking him from afar where he can easily bat away an attack. Even closing in and trying to stab someone accurately in the armpit (or other weak point) would be difficult from close range when wielding a weapon approximately 3 feet in length.

Against an experienced sword/shield user in heavy armor, you're not going to get any easy openings. It is not much, if at all, easier to find openings with a lighter blade than with a heavier one. In fact it puts you at a greater disadvantage when pitted against a heavily armed foe. One of you is either tiring out first, or getting knocked down. You're not going to have the time to carefully aim a shot to a weak spot reliably like that. Unless you stun him with a good blow to the head or knock him down, or if he overextended too far. Even then, with a lighter weapon, you have less power, and may not be able to adequately stun or disorient him with a shot to a heavy helmet. You have a split second to go for an opening usually, and you can do that with a heavy sword as well as a lighter sword. You'd be surprised how easy it is to twist a hand-and-a-half sword upwards and thrust (the leverage action of having two hands makes it amazingly easy), even with a heavy blade. Even with a split second opening, you're not guaranteed a hit to a weak spot, as your opponent will likely react and defend themselves.

Lighter weapons were developed as armor got lighter. Less armor, you needed less force to kill your opponents. Why carry around overly heavy, tiring weapons when you can carry around lighter, faster blades? Plus you could use the extra speed to your advantage as with less armor, you become more mobile again. The primary cause for armor becoming lighter was the development and advancement of firearm technologies. As guns and cannons became more widely used, more accurate, and faster, they were used more often. Heavy armor could not withstand gun fire, and sitting in a field trying to run away from gun fire in heavy armor was an easy way to get shot. So equipment became lighter in response to new technologies, and sidearms became lighter as well, due to the response of lighter armors.

If you really want to insist that an unarmored opponent with a rapier has an advantage over a heavy armored foe, think of it in a manner similar to this: Jeep vs. Tank.

Sure you can run circles around the heavily armored foe, but unlike a jeep, you risk tiring yourself out. Once your tired, you're in trouble. An armored foe simply would have to stand his ground and pivot, defending himself as you try to run around to find an advantage. Also, due to your lack of armor, you risk leaving yourself open while attacking. If you attack him, and he counterattacks -- if both hits land?  You are far less likely to damage him, and will very likely also come out of the exchange injured. It would take luck and a lot of skill for a single sword to take down a heavy armored opponent. That this man even had heavy armor would have meant that he had a lot of money, and likely would have had very very good combat training, since he could afford it. Unarmored opponent is at a great disadvantage, generally.

It CAN be done. I'm not saying it's not possible. But you're really going to have to work for it.

Matches between similarly skilled opponents is often determined by who makes the first mistake. In a match where only one opponent is armored and you are not, he can afford slight mistakes, while you cannot. Being forgiven (due to armor) for a slight mistake IS the difference between life and death. It's the reason armor was ever used to begin with.

also from my limited experience i seem to recall that normally you would have either a suit of chain or a suit of mail and any combination would not for the most part be layered except for a few key areas, though correct that if i'm wrong

No, armor was generally layered.

Having done some heavy armored combat, if you are wearing metal of any sort, you want something between the metal and your flesh besides perhaps a tunic or a shirt of some sort. It's metal, if it gets forced into your flesh due to sudden impact, it's going to hurt.

A single piece of chest plate would be less hurtful as you have less flex, though a nice dent jabbing a jagged piece of plate into your flesh will hurt. You want something else under the metal to cushion that. With chain maille (or any number of other variations of armours, such as scale maille or brigandine for example) the chain links, scales, or metal plates getting crushed into your flesh is very very unpleasant and will harm you. I have gotten cuts and bruises from not having proper sleeves on my gambeson when taking a blow on my shoulder - the metal lames (similar to scales) dug into the flesh of my upper arm due to the blow and i was bleeding - not badly, but still cut up from the metal being bashed into my skin.

Certain key areas DID receive additional protection. But that was despite also wearing other layers. I believe I linked them earlier, but I'll link them here as well, and list a relevant quote from each.

Here is an excerpt from the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambeson
....is a padded defensive jacket, worn as armour separately, or combined with mail or plate armour.

Here is an excerpt from the following link detailing information that is exactly what this topic is about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_armour#Effect_on_weapon_development
....the attacker concentrates on these "weak spots", resulting in a fighting style very different from unarmored sword-fighting. Because of this weakness most warriors wore a mail shirt (haubergeon or hauberk) beneath their plate armor (or coat-of-plates). Later, full mail shirts were replaced with mail patches, called goussets, sewn onto a gambeson or arming jacket. Further protection for plate armour was the use of small round plates called besagews  that covered the armpit area and couters and poleyns with "wings" to protect the inside of the joint. The evolution of the 14th century plate armor also triggered the development of various polearms. They were designed to deliver a strong impact and concentrate energy on a small area and cause damage through the plate. Maces, war hammers and the hammer-heads of pollaxes (poleaxes) were used to inflict blunt trauma through armour.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:04:11 am by Iden »
Legendary Conversationalist
Legendary Persuader
Legendary Writer of Epics

I support AMMDF!

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 01:03:57 am »

plate should be nearly immune to being cut by bladed weapons as some were rather big in order to combat plate and larger pole armshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweih%C3%A4nder  and these swords were not used to try and cut through plate, there was more bashing involved
The main advantage hammers have over swords is that their weight is almost entirely in their head and so its easier for them to gain the necessary amount of momentum
Other later bladed weapons though made for fighting much lighter armored opponents would have been much easier to hit gaps in the armor and unless it is a full suit there will be lots of unfortunate gaps, though finding these could go up with skill.

Don't forget the Mordhau sword technique. Armor was so effective that gripping your sword by the blade and smacking the other guy in the face with the pommel/crossguard could be as effective, if not more so, in striking at a well-protected area.

Well, getting whacked in the face will generally cause an effective result

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 06:04:40 am »

plate should be nearly immune to being cut by bladed weapons as some were rather big in order to combat plate and larger pole armshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweih%C3%A4nder  and these swords were not used to try and cut through plate, there was more bashing involved
The main advantage hammers have over swords is that their weight is almost entirely in their head and so its easier for them to gain the necessary amount of momentum

Don't forget the Mordhau sword technique. Armor was so effective that gripping your sword by the blade and smacking the other guy in the face with the pommel/crossguard could be as effective, if not more so, in striking at a well-protected area.

The guy on the receiving end would typically be wearing a helmet. :P

Although my post's wording was unclear.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 06:18:40 am »

The guy on the receiving end would typically be wearing a helmet. :P

Although my post's wording was unclear.

Ah, I guess it's my turn to be embarrassed. Still though, that's rather impressive if they did it through a helmet.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 06:41:56 am »

someone hit you in the head with a reasonable amount of force and I don't care if you're wearing a helmet or not it's going to have an effect.  Take it from the guy who was clobbered in the head with a padded stick while wearing a helmet.  I had a headache for three days as a sure sign of a concussion (that and vision issues).  That being said I did go on to win the fight, mostly because I 'accidentally' popped him in the mouth with the end of the stick where the padding was thinnest and bloodied his nose/mouth.  If you can't breathe, you can't fight... even against a guy who sees two of you ;)
Demon of Darkness

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 08:32:46 am »

About my talk of lighter weapons, by saying that you could stab for openings i meant more that it shouldn't be impossible for anyone who is skilled to injure/kill someone outfitted in a full suit of armor though a rapier and the like would still be a very bad idea. the point was that no weapon should just be written off and never injure the person just be rather unlikely to be effective.

also i would assume that no matter what type of armor you wore you would be wearing a fair bit of padding underneath, but according to these mail and plate were not worn over top of each other but were used to protect places unprotected by the other armor
"Areas not covered by plate were protected by mail sewn to the gambeson  underneath."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_armor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gousset               it would really help if Wikipedia would make up its mind
so i'm not certain which is to be believed

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:04 am »

p.s. and hyndis normally its a bad idea to pierce too far through as then it can get a bit hard to take your weapon out again if you're in a hurry

Not if the piercing is done through the torso armor or helmet. Means the fight will be over quickly.  :P

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 10:39:39 am »

I've done some SCA stuff myself, and yes, it definitely ends up coming down to a question of endurance if both people are using heavy weapons and armor. A light weapon has almost no chance against a heavy weapon, the sheer difference in mass means that the light weapon is easily swatted away, if not outright broken, by the heavier weapon. The light weapon also tends to have no chance in getting through heavy armor unless there's a lucky hit in the gap of the armor. Hitting such a tiny gap is more a matter of luck than skill due to how difficult close combat is.

You will seriously be sweating rivers within only a few minutes of it. Armor is hot, heavy, and very tiresome. But it will protect you. Also the whole idea of dancing around the battlefield, being quick and moving fast, is just stupid. Yes, you can outrun me if I'm wearing heavy armor. So what? I'll walk and get there eventually, and when I do I'm going to win. If you're just going to stay outside of range of my weapons, then fine. I'll go set your camp on fire if you don't want to fight. ;)

Even ranged weapons are nearly useless against heavy plate. Add in a shield and any archer will just run out of ammunition.

Mobility based warfare is a new invention. Mobility generally is not that important with medieval style tactics. Essentially it comes down to two battle lines meeting and hashing things out, hand to hand. Its not fancy, its not pretty, but thats how it was done. Speed is not very important, what matters is being able to absorb damage without going down while dishing out damage yourself, and well made armor is nearly immune to anything but the spike on a warhammer. Or guns. Even then, well made plate could withstand an amazing amount of gunfire.

Even improvised armor can soak up gunfire at point blank range without failing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, its Iron Man armor. IRL. Sadly, he never got around to making armor for his arms and legs, and that was his downfall. Torso and head were immune to bullets though.

And if that armor is bouncing bullets with ease, your bladed weapons probably aren't going to do much so long as the joints are protected, and the joints should be protected with either overlapping plates in such a way that a blade cannot slide between them, and/or chainmail at the joints.

wolflance

• Bay Watcher
  • Not knowing is half the Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 10:53:01 am »

Guys, I just want to put this in, although it is not directly related to our discussion here.
http://talhoffer.blogspot.com/2009/10/misguided-terminology.html

It is a very good read IMO.

Iden

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Speardwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 11:19:49 am »

About my talk of lighter weapons, by saying that you could stab for openings i meant more that it shouldn't be impossible for anyone who is skilled to injure/kill someone outfitted in a full suit of armor though a rapier and the like would still be a very bad idea. the point was that no weapon should just be written off and never injure the person just be rather unlikely to be effective.

also i would assume that no matter what type of armor you wore you would be wearing a fair bit of padding underneath, but according to these mail and plate were not worn over top of each other but were used to protect places unprotected by the other armor
"Areas not covered by plate were protected by mail sewn to the gambeson  underneath."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gousset               it would really help if Wikipedia would make up its mind

The links and quotations provided actually quite directly deal with what's going on. It states simply that armor was layered. Gambeson > Chain Maille > Plate armor. Eventually there was a shift in order to have less weight on your person, so chain maille was sewn in patches to spots on the gambeson that were weaker or open. This still dervies the formula of plate armor over chain maille, over padded.

I don't see where in there you see a disagreement. Is it with the surcoat? A surcoat is worn over other garments. White armour was to be used without a surcoat. However, in the white armor link, it clearly states, "Areas not covered by plate were protected by mail sewn to the gambeson underneath.". This would be the use of goussets. These two links agree. I don't see what you are refering to.....

It does state later on, in both links, that goussets were eventually phased out, due to the fact that White Armor was improved to the point of covering previously uncovered weak spots, thus rendering goussets useless. Both links agree... where is this disagreement??

Mobility based warfare is a new invention. Mobility generally is not that important with medieval style tactics. Essentially it comes down to two battle lines meeting and hashing things out, hand to hand. Its not fancy, its not pretty, but thats how it was done. Speed is not very important, what matters is being able to absorb damage without going down while dishing out damage yourself, and well made armor is nearly immune to anything but the spike on a warhammer. Or guns. Even then, well made plate could withstand an amazing amount of gunfire.

Even improvised armor can soak up gunfire at point blank range without failing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, its Iron Man armor. IRL. Sadly, he never got around to making armor for his arms and legs, and that was his downfall. Torso and head were immune to bullets though.

And if that armor is bouncing bullets with ease, your bladed weapons probably aren't going to do much so long as the joints are protected, and the joints should be protected with either overlapping plates in such a way that a blade cannot slide between them, and/or chainmail at the joints.

Well, the problem here is simply that that is an example of armor from Ned Kelly. Ned Kelly lived in the mid-to-late 1800's. Slightly different firearms. I also daresay that that metal is probably thicker than standard plate armour, and therefore heavier. Also, it is unlikely for a man to take a hit from a gun that can make that large of a dent in such thick metal and be unphased. He could not simply "soak up gunfire". Look at the dent in the chest-piece of Ned Kelly's armor, a second hit to the same spot, while unlikely, would break through that.

Sure, you might take a few hits from bullets and not be hurt, but you'd still feel the impact. That much force to cause a dent like that seen in that picture? You're feeling that. That might make you pause for a second.

To be frank, if heavy armor was all it would take to stop gunfire in the early days of firearms, there would have been increasingly heavier and heavier armor, not lighter armor. Heavy armor like the type Ned Kelly used was also highly ineffective against cannons, which were used as well. Plate armour could not soak up gunfire. Ned Kelly used homemade plates in the late 1800's. He was fighting perhaps a few men, a few sheriffs, in a wild-west kind of world. There weren't hundreds or thousands of men, whole armies, firing at him. After a few hundred shots, that armor would be swiss cheese. And that's exactly why armour was phased out.

Also, mobility was important. Many knights were mounted knights. Cavalry was VERY important in medieval warfare. Cavalry could make or break a battle. Just as archers could. Getting a cavalry charge from behind an enemy? Priceless. Speed is key in victory, and medieval warfare used plenty of it.
Legendary Conversationalist
Legendary Persuader
Legendary Writer of Epics

I support AMMDF!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 11:48:26 am »

Up until the 1800's bows or even crossbows were arguably more effective than muskets in terms of accuracy, fire rate, and even firepower.

The issue was cost. It cost a fortune to produce an English longbowman. Decades of continuous training. You simply could not field enough of them to make a difference. Guns are cheap and require little training. You could probably get dozens of men with muskets for the price of a single longbowman. While the longbowman would be superior 1v1 vs a musket, its not 1v1. Its more like 1v50. Massed firepower wins out in the end, even if the massed firepower is slow and inaccurate. The idea was to make up for it in volume of fire with a very large amount of soldiers on the field.

This is also why plate armor eventually went away. Well made plate armor that could resist gunfire while at the same time being lightweight was very, very expensive. You simply could not afford to outfit many people with that kind of protection. It was more cost effective to simply put unarmored men on the field and replace losses than to protect the men you had.

It was cheaper to replace men than it was to give them armor.

The problem with mobility warfare is that it requires excellent long range communications to pull off. On occasion yes you did have some mobility warfare in the middle ages, but there was a large amount of luck involved with that. There were no radios. You had to give a commander a large number of very expensive and valuable mounted troops, and then trust him to leave line of sight to flank the enemy, and hope that he manages to circle around the back of the enemy lines and hit them before their greater number of non-flanking troops defeat your lines and hit the enemy lines from behind in such a way that can be exploited.

There was no guarantee that the commander would do this. Sometimes the commander would just keep the cavalry and leave the battle! If the situation changed there was no way of informing the commander of this.

The strength of cavalry was the shock of a charge. It takes a very, very brave man to stand in front of a herd of armored horses, armored knights, and sharp lances galloping directly at you. The instinct is to flee, and this was the whole point of the cavalry charge. Fear.

If you could cause that portion of the line to flee, the enemy line would collapse and there was a very real chance that the entire army would route. However if the infantry was disciplined enough and simply stood their ground, the horses would just stop. A horse is not so dumb that it will run at full speed into a stationary object. Its basically a game of chicken. If the infantry holds their ground they will defeat the cavalry charge. Yes there will be some losses, but the horses will get the worst of it. If the infantry runs then they're doomed. Fear is contagious as well. If one section of the battle line begins to flee, their friends will also become very worried and may also attempt to flee. An army that is fleeing, uncontrolled, can just be cut down be mounted troops one man at a time.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 11:51:13 am »

Sure, you might take a few hits from bullets and not be hurt, but you'd still feel the impact. That much force to cause a dent like that seen in that picture? You're feeling that. That might make you pause for a second.

To be frank, if heavy armor was all it would take to stop gunfire in the early days of firearms, there would have been increasingly heavier and heavier armor, not lighter armor. Heavy armor like the type Ned Kelly used was also highly ineffective against cannons, which were used as well. Plate armour could not soak up gunfire. Ned Kelly used homemade plates in the late 1800's. He was fighting perhaps a few men, a few sheriffs, in a wild-west kind of world. There weren't hundreds or thousands of men, whole armies, firing at him. After a few hundred shots, that armor would be swiss cheese. And that's exactly why armour was phased out.

Also, mobility was important. Many knights were mounted knights. Cavalry was VERY important in medieval warfare. Cavalry could make or break a battle. Just as archers could. Getting a cavalry charge from behind an enemy? Priceless. Speed is key in victory, and medieval warfare used plenty of it.
To also toss a bit more info in on it, the types of guns in more common use today (handguns in particular) today aren't as powerful as the guns made to counter medieval armor.  They're more reliable and lighter, certainly, but they were designed to kill unarmored men.  That's a big part of why Ned Kelly's improvised armor was so effective.

There's a similar tale in the US about criminals with good body armor.  The police were forced to appropriate better weapons than the handguns they were issued, and led to the LAPD having heavier weapons in their patrol car as standard issue.

On topic, blunt weapons should not ignore armor, but they should be less affected by it than swords are for the previously stated reasons.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:00:42 pm by Kilo24 »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 12:20:11 pm »

Even the US military ran into this problem. In WWI and WWII, bolt action rifles fired very powerful cartridges. These bullets were lethal even at extreme ranges.

The problem with a bolt action rifle is that it tends to be slow firing. An assault rifle is far, far more dangerous in close quarters combat, but some assault rifles don't use very powerful cartridges. Its just a tradeoff between rate of fire and firepower. In the Korean was there were common situations were bullets fired would actually just bounce off the heavy winter clothing of the North Korean and Chinese soldiers. At short range the bullets would work very well of course, but at longer ranges, where the gun was still accurate enough to hit but at such a range where it had lost too much momentum, even clothing would bounce the bullet let alone armor.

At close range armor is much less effective, but combining keeping your distance with heavy armor, and you can be nearly immune to ranged fire. For plate armor, longbows and crossbows were utterly devastating and could pierce even the best armor, but they could only do it at close range.

Luckily for the English at Agincourt, the ground was extremely muddy and horses are not as armored as knights. A very large potion of the French losses were actually due to drowning in the mud, not death by arrows.  :o

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 12:36:03 pm »

The links and quotations provided actually quite directly deal with what's going on. It states simply that armor was layered. Gambeson > Chain Maille > Plate armor. Eventually there was a shift in order to have less weight on your person, so chain maille was sewn in patches to spots on the gambeson that were weaker or open. This still dervies the formula of plate armor over chain maille, over padded.

I don't see where in there you see a disagreement. Is it with the surcoat? A surcoat is worn over other garments. White armour was to be used without a surcoat. However, in the white armor link, it clearly states, "Areas not covered by plate were protected by mail sewn to the gambeson underneath.". This would be the use of goussets. These two links agree. I don't see what you are refering to.....

It does state later on, in both links, that goussets were eventually phased out, due to the fact that White Armor was improved to the point of covering previously uncovered weak spots, thus rendering goussets useless. Both links agree... where is this disagreement??

Now ive been interpreting the layerd argument as wearing a full mail hauberk under some sort of cuiress style plate which didnt seem to be the case in the links if you just meant they were worn at the same time then theres no argument.., though looking back at my posts i could see if you thought, i thought they wouldnt be used together at all. If not i was refering to the fact that goussets were used and there wasnt just a whole aditional layer of mail.

and again the thing with the rapier was not that it would be effictive just that bladed weapon shouldnt just try and cut stright through just becuase they are bladed. i would agree that it would be a terrible idea just that if you have a crippled unarmed guy lying down you shouldnt try to cut through his armor, this could then be applyed to battled though much less succsfuly. I only brought this up as making armor invincible to one type of weapon would lead to this in game

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 12:53:29 pm »

A rapier was never a military weapon. It was a gentleman's weapon designed for a duel or self defense, not use on the battlefield.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6