Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Trolling  (Read 13436 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Trolling
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2010, 03:24:43 pm »

Deathworks style IS awesome, and rather endearing/kawai, in my opinion. I like people having personal posting styles that give an identity beyond name, sig and avatar.

Also, I realize I might sometimes undershot the socially acceptable standard of humility, but I really think honesty is more important, and my main talent and area of study IS philosophy, and the myth that it's an area where everyone opinion is equally valid gets incredibly frustrating.

If you're not in university, you don't have an area of study.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2010, 03:26:26 pm »

As tempting as it is to begin spaming LCS jokes, no. This thread is because Nikov's political opinion is very far removed from the majority of this community. The farther away you are, the more easily you can get into fights. Nikov likely sees the total disagreement he gets on every issue as a attack against him.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 23, 2010, 03:26:45 pm »

You know what incites my trolling? Weeaboo-ness. I guess that word is offensive, but I know of no other for the culture, could it be called that. If you learn fluent Japanese, without actually needing to for use of the language, I am going to lose some respect for you. If you do use it, without the context of trying to explain a concept (see: Armok saying kawai) then I am but the slightest touch or wind from falling off the precipice.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 23, 2010, 03:27:04 pm »

So I'm guessing that's the classic Graelkin example of 'needs to be taken down a peg?"

Personally, I just go to PMs after a certain point. When you take the audience out of the equation, I've found a lot of people change their tune dramatically. I usually do it though when I have a burning desire to flame someone and don't wish to piss of the mods.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 23, 2010, 03:31:19 pm »

I haven't actually bought any disagreements to PMs yet.

Everything I've ever wanted to say I've just said it on the forums so everyone could see.

EDIT: I have no problems with weeaboos becoming fluent in Japanese. I've even had many weeaboo friends end up teaching English in Japan.

I really laugh at "kawaii-lish" though, which is like spamming common anime and japanese drama terms in everyday speech.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:34:23 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 23, 2010, 03:33:20 pm »

Indeed, PM's allow for plausable denial of your actions. Editing does as well, but it leaves a mark. Still, the mods can see through both, so it dosen't matter.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2010, 03:35:42 pm »

I haven't had to in a whlie. But the Killing Floor forums are in the throes of boredom and waiting for update hell....and that has brought the trolls a flocking. After getting pruned by the admins a couple times, I took the hint. I try not to add to the collective whine and flame fest that forum produces anymore.

Plus, there has never been a community playing a non-competitive game with a bigger collective ego than the KF community. (Yes, that includes B12.)

edit

Indeed, PM's allow for plausable denial of your actions.

If you are a complete lame ass, sure. I prefer PMs because I don't have to self-censor anymore. If someone chooses to repost it, they've 'lost', because they've gone running back to a community to defend themselves.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:37:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2010, 03:37:45 pm »

(see: Armok saying kawai)
I used it because it was closer to what I were trying to communicate, different cultural connotations means it's not really exactly the same in meaning, just synonymous, to words in other languages. Tl;Dr, this wa a case of linguistic nerdyness, not weeabo nerdyness, although I do have a bit of the alter kind as well. I have EVERY kind of nerdyness.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2010, 03:38:21 pm »

Hey now, learning a language is a difficult and interesting thing to do. I'm not really interested in learning Japanese, but I've tried my hand at French, and if I keep at the current rate I will be fluent by the time I am 75.

Armok: I think I can speak for everybody here when I say that we would really like you to present the credentials you've earned from studying philosophy. I thought you were a pretentious 14 year old, but if it turns out to be otherwise, I'm sure the respect level for you will change.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:40:05 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2010, 03:44:55 pm »

People have thought I was trolling when somebody was living an orwellian life and tried imposing it on the community, and then when I posted a picture of pedobear in a thread, but Three toe says I shouldnt be talking getting reported, so I'll stop. I found both funny situations, other than that I only troll annoying pricks in real life, today it was wonderful because all the people going "INGERLANNNNND! USA IS SHIT DEY WUNT EVEN GET INTO THE LAST 16, IYT BLUD!" and then I showed them that US was in the top of their group, beating England. Delicious tears. But to be honest, if you have a bad personality and try imposing it on other people, you will get trolled, especially if you say that you are incredibly smart and whoever disagrees with you are increibly stupid and moronic.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2010, 03:50:25 pm »

Hi!

You know what incites my trolling? Weeaboo-ness. I guess that word is offensive, but I know of no other for the culture, could it be called that. If you learn fluent Japanese, without actually needing to for use of the language, I am going to lose some respect for you. If you do use it, without the context of trying to explain a concept (see: Armok saying kawai) then I am but the slightest touch or wind from falling off the precipice.

Actually, Armok can point to my avatar being a Japanese catgirl and also my knowledge of Japanese as reasons why he would use kawaii in that particular post.

I am wondering about your statement of "needing Japanese". I have learned Japanese, because a lot of the entertainment media I like are in Japanese and have not seen any translation. So, in order to access my preferred recreational media, the language was a pre-requisite. And I am not saying that everything created in Japan is great (I dislike and in some cases hate shounen manga/anime, and I really hate Japanese real life television, for example), but there are a few nice things that have been created there and which are not accessible unless you learn the language.

In a way, my English skills have a similar background as I grew up in a time where Germany didn't really have much stimulating television programming for children, resulting in me spending weekends watching Sky Channel and Super Channel. Later on, I got fond of pen and paper RPGs and computer games, and again, those were mostly not-translated, or mutilated in so horrid ways that makes it unbearable if you know the original.

So, I am wondering whether my knowledge of Japanese is legitimate or not in your opinion.

Grakelin: French has a very complicated grammar (I personally hate the language and think Latin was much better and should have had an abortion, but that is another can of worms, I guess). Japanese grammar as I perceive it is actually very simple, maybe even simpler than English grammar. Only when you reach learning vocabulary, there is a kind of hurdle and if you want to get into the finer aspects of formal and respectful speech.

Nenjin: Well, you are not completely free with PM, though. If you consistently insult people via PM, you may get into trouble with the admins anyway as you are using the system for something it was not intended to be used.

Deathworks

EDIT: Huesoo: I hope that I have made it clear enough in the past that, while my posting style has some meaning for me in the categories of respect and responsibility, I do not expect people to copy me and I do not measure them against my own arbitrary rules. I hope that people can accept such a live-and-let-live attitude.

However, I believe that a positive atmosphere on the internet is a good thing. Therefore, I am inclined to try to further such a positive atmosphere, if possible. So, in that way, you might say I am trying to influence people, although I do not claim the authority to force people to behave in such a way.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:53:55 pm by Deathworks »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2010, 03:54:15 pm »

Exact credentials? Thats rather poinless because the sweedish education system is so nonstandard I don't think anyone will be able to translate it to terms they understand, but fine: easy MVG from the gymnasium at philosophy, religion, and psychology, which is all the official testing I've got. In my free time I read on significantly higher levels than that thou.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2010, 03:56:27 pm »

(see: Armok saying kawai)
I used it because it was closer to what I were trying to communicate, different cultural connotations means it's not really exactly the same in meaning, just synonymous, to words in other languages.
SEE? he wrote a LONG sentence full of complicated words without making a single spelling failure. IT IS AN ACT GUYS
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2010, 03:56:50 pm »

Exact credentials? Thats rather poinless because the sweedish education system is so nonstandard I don't think anyone will be able to translate it to terms they understand, but fine: easy MVG from the gymnasium at philosophy, religion, and psychology, which is all the official testing I've got. In my free time I read on significantly higher levels than that thou.

Dude I read Socrates, Gurdjieff and Neitzsche all the time, we should hook up sometime.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2010, 03:58:23 pm »

Let me guess. You don't have any verifiable or recorded proof of this education?
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20