Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Trolling  (Read 13448 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Trolling
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2010, 02:40:55 pm »

Not really. I bullied my bullies. It was fun.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2010, 02:41:19 pm »

Okay, you get together with a group of people who share the same interest like you, for instance liking the game Dwarf Fortress. You want to share your thoughts and experiences and have a good time together with people. And all you get is insults and constant attacks.

When has this ever come out of Dwarf Fortress discussion? Sometimes, tempers flare over political issues in GD, but nobody has ever been sitting in Dwarf Mode Discussion talking about magma and suddenly had the entire community show up to bash them.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2010, 02:41:42 pm »

Hi!

I do not see constant attacks here. I have seen Armok bashing go on to the point where it is no longer prudent, but this is not some common trend that enters every thread.
[added underlining for emphasis]

Does that statement not confirm my sentiment that there has been bullying (or whatever you want to call it) going against Armok here? I take it that "no longer prudent" does mean that you disapprove of what people have done. Thus, there has been behavior here, which you do not consider appropriate.

Deathworks

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2010, 02:43:21 pm »

One reason I think is behind lots of it is that people don't know the following:
I know I behave in some less than ideal ways, and aproximately what those ways are. I do not behave that way because I don't know it's a bad thing, or because I don't care, or becasue I havn't been rised to high enought standards or because i don't have enoguht life experience. I behave in those ways inoulenterly, because of physical errors that is or might as well be genetic, and nothing anyone does, including me, who isn't a trained professional (I visit such regularly), won't be able to do a thing to change it, nor are there moral failings, I'm the victim here.

... what?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2010, 02:43:59 pm »

The reason we all poke fun at Armok is because of posts like that.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2010, 02:44:45 pm »

Well, Armok has a tendency to do things that warrent a critical and negitive response, but this will sometimes go on for pages and pages. It isn't conductive to anything by that point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2010, 02:44:59 pm »

One reason I think is behind lots of it is that people don't know the following:
I know I behave in some less than ideal ways, and aproximately what those ways are. I do not behave that way because I don't know it's a bad thing, or because I don't care, or becasue I havn't been rised to high enought standards or because i don't have enoguht life experience. I behave in those ways inoulenterly, because of physical errors that is or might as well be genetic, and nothing anyone does, including me, who isn't a trained professional (I visit such regularly), won't be able to do a thing to change it, nor are there moral failings, I'm the victim here.

... what?

I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU! HE IS FAKING IT!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2010, 02:47:58 pm »

And that wasn't? (Note, I'm not saying Foot IS trolling him...but there's clear subtext there.)
Judging by posts of Grakelin that I have seen, I don't think he's going to get riled up by that comment.

I think that it's a good thing. I also don't mind internet attacks on myself because my real life ego is just larger than VY Canis Majoris. Therefore if I put myself and my views out there to be judged- as recently in the Goblin Camp thread where I'm sure the goons are still mocking me, I don't give a shit. They're missing something there that they'll find later in life, perhaps.

However, my sense of compassion says that we shouldn't be dicks just for the sake of being able to be a dick. "Oh hey, that guy is more pathetic than us on the internet, let's all gangbang him with our collective e-penis".

The number one forum rule here is "keep it chill", and most of us follow by that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:56 pm »

Alright, here is the type of thing I'm talking about: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58794.15

Armok makes a comment no one else agrees with on page two. Bashing, somtimes verging into personal attacks, continues periodicly untill page eight. That is a waste of good thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2010, 02:49:36 pm »

Hi!

The reason we all poke fun at Armok is because of posts like that.

Personally, I consider poking fun at someone good only if the target of that action can laugh with you. Once they stop laughing, I think you should pull back.

Deathworks

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2010, 02:50:36 pm »

Armok likes to tell us all that we're bastards who need to fuck off for not conforming to his philosophical viewpoints (in the same post that he introduces them, no less), so I don't think stealing his avatar every once in a while is such a big deal.

EDIT: Hey, MSH even posted up that link in particular!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:54:40 pm by Grakelin »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2010, 02:54:39 pm »

Hi!

Armok likes to tell us all that we're bastards who need to fuck off for not conforming to his philosophical viewpoints (in the same post that he introduces them, no less), so I don't think stealing his avatar every once in a while is such a big deal.

Well, ThreeToe tends to feel otherwise about that, I think. And Toady One also seems to be frowning on such behavior. Actually, a few years ago, some people tried (among other things, it seems) to attack me. However, besides using ineffective methods, they also were unlucky in having Toady One see their actions long before I saw them (half of what happened, I did not even witness myself but only had Toady One tell me about it after he rectified it). If I recall correctly, that incident ended with at least one ban getting dished out. And as I said, IIRC, I was basically unaware of what was happening - I first took real notice when Toady One contacted me for some information on my avatar (^_^;;

Deathworks

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2010, 02:56:40 pm »

You probably had done something to deserve it.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2010, 02:56:55 pm »

Whats with the bolding and emoticons dude?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2010, 02:58:08 pm »

Judging by posts of Grakelin that I have seen, I don't think he's going to get riled up by that comment.

Neither do I.

I think that it's a good thing. I also don't mind internet attacks on myself because my real life ego is just larger than VY Canis Majoris. Therefore if I put myself and my views out there to be judged- as recently in the Goblin Camp thread where I'm sure the goons are still mocking me, I don't give a shit. They're missing something there that they'll find later in life, perhaps.

This is how I approach it too. I put my opinions and myself out there, I accept the consequences for doing so. Armok...what can I say? We've got a guy on another forum. Here, I'll give you a taste of him:

Title: Louisiana lawmakers propose to make USA look like a bunch of dumb hicks

That's standard for him, along with being an unapologetic software pirate who lives at home, is grossly overweight and has trouble holding down a job. Whenever a political topic comes up, you have to screen his post for all the **** nonesense and rage jibberish he spews.

People on my board rip on this dude all the time..and he NEVER defends himself. EVER. He just takes it, over countless threads that have gone for pages about how some members feel he is the biggest tool ever created. It's gotten so bad even I've been like "Christ guys, not this again. He is who he is."

And I have to respect him for that. He is who he is and does what he does in spite of all the hate it earns him. We still can't decide if he's just been trolling us for a decade now or not.

I have far more respect for him than someone who throws themselves out there and then feels they're being unfairly judged. Own your posts.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:01:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20