Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: Trolling  (Read 13462 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Trolling
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2010, 10:42:08 am »

Someone needs to make Armok's avatar with an evil mustache.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2010, 12:38:54 pm »

Hi!

I recommend that you stop right there. We have had this before, and it didn't end pretty.

Rather than the issue of trolls, we might wish to wonder about the issue of bullying, which seems to be much more present here on the forums than any serious trolling (partly because the few trolls that invade get shown to the door relatively quickly).

Deathworks

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2010, 01:17:41 pm »

Bullying isn't the right word either, at least from what I've seen. Bullying is sending people PMs, organizing hate groups to get around their block/mute lists, and generally torturing them through the Internet. Bullying is something you can't escape from.

The rest is just good old fashion forum dickery. People should have to sign a disclaimer before signing on to the net for the day, that they accept responsibility for their opinions, and accept that some people will dislike them for said opinions or how they're phrased. That way, we could skip all the butt hurtness, and people could argue and debate free of the notion that the Internet is somehow supposed to be a nicer place than the real world. It's not.

The Internet is high school x5, and you either survived high school to go on and become semi-abnormal like the rest of humanity, or you start shooting people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2010, 01:21:57 pm »

The Internet is high school x5, and you either survived high school to go on and become semi-abnormal like the rest of humanity, or you start shooting people.

All high school graduates are abnormal.

._. I feel bullied.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »

I get that Armok is weird, but I don't know why (or maybe I haven't been around enough) to see why everyone's turned him into the forum punching-bag. Seems a little cruel given all the strangeness we all have.

Heck, even the weeaboo touhous and furries have gotten less hate on this site.

I'm guessing it's related to Life Advice since I don't really go in there.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:51:09 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2010, 01:54:24 pm »

I get that Armok is weird, but I don't know why (or maybe I haven't been around enough) to see why everyone's turned him into the forum punching-bag.

Heck, even the weeaboo touhous and furries have gotten less hate on this site.

I'm guessing it's related to Life Advice since I don't really go in there.

Well I don't know if I've ever had a conversation with Armok, and I have nothing against him whatsoever. From my observation though, most people make fun of his less-than-steller spelling and the fact he says things like "Saphira [from Eragon] is hot". To each their own.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »

I have said it in the past, and I say it again now: I very much suspect that Armok's antics and bad spelling are an act.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2010, 02:01:27 pm »

Hi!

I recommend that you stop right there. We have had this before, and it didn't end pretty.

Rather than the issue of trolls, we might wish to wonder about the issue of bullying, which seems to be much more present here on the forums than any serious trolling (partly because the few trolls that invade get shown to the door relatively quickly).

Deathworks

Now you're just being an annoying crybaby. If you're being bullied on an anonymous net forum, it's because you deserve it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2010, 02:04:02 pm »

Now you're just being an annoying crybaby. If you're being bullied on an anonymous net forum, it's because you deserve it.
This isn't 4chan. We're not really anonymous here, and I'm fairly sure that that's the sort of attitude that most of us don't harbor.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »

This is actually perfect example of trolling. Saying someone "deserves it" and that anonimity makes it okay. There is no reason to bully someone, whether or not they are an "annoying crybaby", which I personally do not think Deathworks was being.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2010, 02:05:56 pm »

It's summer. All the 14-year-olds are out of school. It'll be bad for a couple weeks or maybe months more, but it'll steady off eventually.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »

There's almost no way it's an act. He acts like that everywhere I've seen him, even when it would have been extremely inconvenient for him to do so.

Bullying isn't the right word either, at least from what I've seen. Bullying is sending people PMs, organizing hate groups to get around their block/mute lists, and generally torturing them through the Internet. Bullying is something you can't escape from.

The rest is just good old fashion forum dickery. People should have to sign a disclaimer before signing on to the net for the day, that they accept responsibility for their opinions, and accept that some people will dislike them for said opinions or how they're phrased. That way, we could skip all the butt hurtness, and people could argue and debate free of the notion that the Internet is somehow supposed to be a nicer place than the real world. It's not.

There's a difference between disliking people, disagreeing with their opinions, and being a dick about it.

If the Internet is "high school x5", then people have some serious growing up to do.

First off, there's a difference between anonymity and pseudonymity, but that's another ball of wax.

Secondly, if you seriously think that anyone being harassed by people on the Internet is harassed because they "deserve it", then, well, see my comment above about needing to grow up. Not to mention you'd be breaking forum guidelines, but I guess you don't care much for that either.

Seriously, Armok's a weird guy, and he's got problems, especially socially. I've ribbed him on it before, usually in the "teaching him a lesson" tough-love sort of way, like when he tried to get me to work around a mute for him. This isn't to say I should have, but there's a difference between a little bit of joshing around and harassing the poor guy just because you don't like him.

A lot of people on the Internet do, in fact, act like immature dicks. This in itself is reasoning why people who get bullied often don't deserve it. Not that "bullying" ever really helps the situation anyway except to drive someone away pitchforks-and-torches style.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2010, 02:09:17 pm »

It's summer. All the 14-year-olds are out of school. It'll be bad for a couple weeks or maybe months more, but it'll steady off eventually.

How does that have anything to do with anything? I've seen very few new members on these forums for one, and another is that we HAVE younger members on these forums that are just as good of contributors and friends as the older members.

Ageism is pretty ignorant, if you ask me. But you didn't, so it doesn't matter.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 23, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

You guys can act as haughty as you like, but nobody on this forum knows what anybody else looks like in real life, or what their personal habits are, and we only know about their political and religious views in a few cases. If people are 'bulliyng' you here, it's because of your personality on the forum.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2010, 02:12:26 pm »

You guys can act as haughty as you like, but nobody on this forum knows what anybody else looks like in real life, or what their personal habits are, and we only know about their political and religious views in a few cases. If people are 'bulliyng' you here, it's because of your personality on the forum.

Again, it's completely foolish and ignorant to think that if people see your behavior as something to bully you about, then you must deserve it. This wasn't true in the fucking third grade and it isn't true here. People harass others over really stupid things sometimes, regardless of context.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20