Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Trolling  (Read 13549 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Trolling
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 03:16:58 am »

I (partially) agree with Grakelin for once; this isn't a scientific community, there isn't funding and tenure (or what have you) riding on our productivity. hilst some serious discussion is nice, there's nothing bad about nondestructive messing about.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 03:38:30 am »

What you have to remember about VN is that we took it too far, and Toady isn't going to let us do it again, which means that anything he doesn't delete within a few days is within the boundaries of reasonable for the board. So yeah, I agree with Grakelin. If you honestly don't want to come back here because people are enjoying themselves and aren't involved in serious discussion, then don't. The whole internet is out there waiting to cater to your whims. Right now, right here, it's catering to ours.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:40:25 am by Jackrabbit »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 03:52:23 am »

There's a fine line between making people angry on purpose, and making people angry by nature.

This is a very important thing to keep in mind.  Trolling is when you make people mad on purpose, probably for entertainment.  Making people mad by just being yourself is a whole other can of worms.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 03:57:12 am »

There's a fine line between making people angry on purpose, and making people angry by nature.

This is a very important thing to keep in mind.  Trolling is when you make people mad on purpose, probably for entertainment.  Making people mad by just being yourself is a whole other can of worms.

It's a call to seriously rethink your approach to dealing with things, methinks.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 04:07:03 am »

Dudes could you possibly show me a troll as proof?I haven't seen any trolling,also trolling is doing something just to piss somebody off it would be like me telling 3 toe to go f himself or something,that is trolling

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 05:08:43 am »

Lets not bring up the B12Games banning here. I like to keep my communities seperate.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 05:25:45 am »

I (partially) agree with Grakelin for once; this isn't a scientific community, there isn't funding and tenure (or what have you) riding on our productivity. hilst some serious discussion is nice, there's nothing bad about nondestructive messing about.

Signal to noise ratio. Plus, you can't assume that that doesn't spill over into threads that are trying to actually talk about something.

I'm saying that I'm here for amusement. I don't expect to show up to Bay12 and get some sort of revelation about life from the community (although, sometimes Armok says something, and I do). We all need to chillax and not get angry, unless somebody posts really slowly to your board game thread and make the skill checks last forever.

I honestly have no idea what this has to do with anything, or what you're even trying to say. Nobody's expecting you to "get some sort of revelation". Seriously though, you're making it sound like you don't have any standards at all.

What you have to remember about VN is that we took it too far, and Toady isn't going to let us do it again, which means that anything he doesn't delete within a few days is within the boundaries of reasonable for the board. So yeah, I agree with Grakelin. If you honestly don't want to come back here because people are enjoying themselves and aren't involved in serious discussion, then don't. The whole internet is out there waiting to cater to your whims. Right now, right here, it's catering to ours.

Toady and Threetoe aren't magical moderation machines; just because something is getting by now doesn't mean that it's within accepted boundaries, or will be considered as such forever. Maybe it does, but it doesn't necessarily. You could have made the same argument about VN back when it was around/not getting shut down.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 05:50:53 am »

That is true, but remember, whilst they are not magical moderating machines, they are efficient and reasonable. If you think someone is, I don't know, ruining a thread by spamming it up with images, then report them. If you think someone is breaking the forum rules or guidelines by their actions then report them. This really isn't like VN, because whilst that place devolved into a big mess because there were no guidelines in place to deal with people acting like idiots, there are here.

Report people. You have the ability, and then the actual owner of the site decides whether or not it's a bad thing and the issue is resolved. And if you aren't willing to do that, I don't see why I should listen to you because you do not decide what stays or goes here, the Adam brothers do, and I will bow to their judgment, not yours (which is not to say that I will not try my hardest to be polite). And I suspect that's true for almost everyone.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:53:08 am by Jackrabbit »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 06:12:40 am »

I see very little trolling on this forum, it is well kept and poeple with very different opinion can discuss without jumping at each other throat.

Of course political opinion varies from very conservative to very liberal, and everything left, right up and down from that, so a bit of disagreement is to be expected, but it usually stay civil.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 07:47:37 am »

He's easily the most Conservative user I've seen in GD.

*Ahem*

Bleah, I'm more conservative than youuuuu.  :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 07:54:50 am »

I'm a wishy-washy liberal. Liberal in the European context, by the way, over here it's not just a nicer way of calling someone a pinko commie.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 09:07:47 am »

I would say most of the trolling is in the LA thread, where it's somewhat justified, though there's two types there.
-Creating a silly question, both for people to respond seriously to, but also to get people to understand we aren't physiological and psychological MDs.
-Answering a serious, but often 'too-young-to-understand-love' question, because nobody could actually answer it.

Its also somewhat justified that nobody ever actually listens to anyone in LA, aside from a few earnest, older individuals.

GD kind of boils down to controversial stalemates, where people berate others and won't budge from their previously established opinions, amusing anecdotal events, and informational/entertaining updates of interesting things going on.
Strangely, GD's subtypes kind of cross over into each other often, so an awesome happening of a forumite could turn into a stalemate argument, or a deadlock could become a platform of great stories.

The trolls are not very subtle (or I guess the successful ones are under the radar), and seem to do it to sort of make a point. If you get upset at them, you just point out how inflammatory you can get over something that's not even real. I guess the cross-overs from B, and the young-ins just do it to piss people off, though.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2010, 09:08:45 am »

I think it's more a matter of nobody here knowing **** about anything than deliberate trolling. But yea, this community is decaying.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 09:13:15 am »

I agree with Armok bringer of light, seer of wisdom and all round super hunk. He has taught me so much.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Pathos

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 09:18:59 am »

I think it's more a matter of nobody here knowing **** about anything than deliberate trolling. But yea, this community is decaying.

We don't have a good enough moral background or a history in philosophy. =(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20