Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Community Sci-Fi Tale  (Read 2689 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
A Community Sci-Fi Tale
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:11:05 pm »

An idea for both people who like to write or who like to play pen and paper games:

I'm kicking around an idea of carrying on a science fiction serialized story where the plot progression goes by a mixture of both luck and collaboration. The feel would be something similar to what we see on TV, with a cast of 7 or 8, who go on adventures. The twist is, that the challenge we put together for the crew of this capital starship is then put through the trials of having to live through the scene in a pen and paper RPG format. Sometimes I'll do all the rolling alone and send up the results, other times we can play in a chat applet, etc. Then the 'session reports' are written up in a narrative format. In between the adventures, everybody interested can input their own stories and flesh out the backstories of our main cast.

To try the idea out, I'll use a setting I have used for Mongoose Traveller, which I plan to use for the sessions. The cast will be crew members on board the UEP Battleship Asteria, five years after the Fourth Galactic War. A fifth Galactic War is about to begin, and the Asteria may be instrumental in winning the war.

So, if your interest is piqued by the pen and paper aspect: This is a series of Mongoose Traveller scenarios, in which you get to play as pre-made characters who have been built by the community. This means you don't get to be your very own special person (unless you've really been building the pilot's character, and you play her in all of the games), but you get to have a no commitment pick up game and flip in and out whenever you like.

Any interest in this? I've rolled up eight characters using the Mongoose Traveller system, though there is room on a standard UEP Battleship for 392 extra crewmen, so if none of these barebones stat sheets speak to you, feel free to design a new one (stats aren't necessary, though they'll be created using point allocation instead of the traditional sense). I'll also add in a 'Chapter 1' of sorts once it's done, to get us started.

Feel free to lay claim to anybody you like, though everybody gets to add their input (if there are disagreements, we'll find some arbitrary way to settle them. It will probably just be me using the ability to edit the OP allowing me to be the judge, though).

If you need to know who's seated as who on the ship at present, Koivusalo is the ship CO, Commander Mulberry is the XO (second in command), Charlie Hamilton is the doctor (and one of the leading doctors in the fleet, I imagine), Valerie Picardo and Alan de Lancie are Marines, Sophie Robichaud is a standard crewman, Erika Kawlski is the head pilot, and Isaac Hodge is the head engineer.

I'm thinking Robichaud and Picardo are from the same planet. And Koivusalo fought in the Third and Fourth Galactic Wars and is badly scarred and physically impaired from both.

What do we think?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Community Sci-Fi Tale
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:57:20 am »

A blinding supernova. Orange and green and blue. It was beautiful, blazing, a cascade of steel and glory. A piece of it came right for him.

The shrapnel tore through the reinforced glass and zipped through his chest. His blood splattered out in droplets before flying out into space. He gasped, unable to take in air, uncertain if he was going to survive the next several seconds. He collapsed in the hallway, dragging himself with one arm, gripping his eviscerated chest with the other. He was dying. He knew he would not make it. The pressure door fell shut.

"We've been hit, Captain," Lieutenant Jenkins said. "And there's a swarm of warheads on the way."

"We have to warp out," Commander Davies said. "This is over."

"No," Koivasulo replied, without hesitation. "There are still four more Battleships out there. That's sixteen hundred men and women."

"If they're smart, they'll warp out right behind us," his XO said, desperation wavering on his voice. "We are already taking casualties. You have to make a choice between saving your crew and giving them up on the off chance you can save one or two of these ships. The Imperial Colonies caught us by surprise. We have to admit that we've lost-"

The ship was rocked by a series of missile impacts. The hull ruptured, flames torched the inner workings of the missile loading bays. Secondary explosions blasted the ship from the inside. The lights flickered as the power began to die.

"It doesn't matter now," Davies said, helping Koivusalo up off the floor. "We're loading up the escape pods, the Zeus is down and out. God help us all."

Koivusalo, Davies, and the rest of the bridge crew crawled into the three escape pod hatches built into the bridge's aft wall. The ship ruptured a few second later. One of the pods didn't make it off the ship. Koivusalo wasn't sure if it was Davies's or not. A piece of shrapnel sliced open the second pod, releasing the Commander, the pilot, and the comm officer into space. Koivusalo covered his face with his hands.

That was last month. The Imperial Colonies had struck hard, fast, and by complete surprise, after five years of peace in the Galaxy. The UEP's Battlefleet had been torn to pieces, including the UEP Battleship Zeus, aboard which Captain Michael Koivusalo had been in command. The Zeus had been a top of the line ship. The whole fleet had been top of the line.

Now, the United Earth Parliament was going to have to make due with the old model. The UEP Battleship Asteria was forty years old, a throwback to the Third and Fourth Galactic wars. It had been on its way to the dismantling dock when Earth's Military Command reactivated its services and placed Koivusalo to preside over its command. It was fixed up and sent straight into the fray.

Hundreds of old UEP Battleships underwent the same procedure. Earth's united forces would be at a disadvantage technology-wise, but at least they were still in the fight.

On August 4, 2468, Captain Koivusalo settled into the bridge of his new Battleship. His crew had some good officers on it. His helmswoman, Lieutenant-Commander Erika Kawlski, was a proficient pilot who had climbed the ranks quickly. His medical officer was one of the finest Naval doctors in the UEP. His XO had spent twenty years in the service.

This was going to be the campaign of his career.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:17:51 am »

READ MORE

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:53:49 am »

The idea sounds interesting. I might contribute the occasional bit of writing if this takes off.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:14:53 pm »

I'd like to try writing something too, though my linguistic skill is not the best...

Jiminiminy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:18:12 pm »

I am fairly intrigued, and I believe I'll try and contribute something later tonight. Until then, maybe some others will lend a hand?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 04:29:00 pm »

It's 00:27am here. I ain't writin' anything in at least 10 hours.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:01:25 am »

If anybody wants to do some sort of naval encounter (space navy, of course), I'm designing the Imperial Colony Battleship, and will post that up on the wiki (no images yet). They get a slight edge over the UEP Battleship in terms of armour and a squadron of fighters, though they aren't as maneuverable and lack the same level of raw firepower.

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 09:23:25 am »

I am very interested in this.  I have a few Mongoose Traveller books and have been trying to get a game started for a while now (though very inexperienced with PnP RPGs).
Also, I have some writing experience on Vast Empire.
I will have a look through the characters and see what I can do.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 11:37:33 pm »

I accidentally named the Captain after the guy who writes crosswords for the University newspaper.

Make of that what you will.

I'm also going to simulate a battle (ostensibly Asteria's first), mostly to test out the Imperial Colony Battleship I made. I'll post it up here, and then write a full story of it later.

EDIT: UEP Capital Ships are named after mythological figures, and IC Capital Ships are named after European monarchs, by the way. If you give a ship a name outside this naming convention, that's fine, though I think it would help us differentiate a lot more quickly if we stick to conventions.

Here is Asteria, a lesser-known Greek Goddess who threw herself into the sea to escape Zeus's advances. UEP naming conventions aren't limited to Greek figures (so there is a UEP Battleship Thor and a UEP Battleship Osiris, for example).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:44:44 pm by Grakelin »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 02:49:29 am »

Interesting... I will watch and wait.

Know that some people actually read this! :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 02:59:16 am »

The UEP Asteria jumps into range of the IC John, which has just performed an inaccurate jump into deep space. The two engage in combat, despite the IC John being without the usual complement of fighters.

I used the barrage rules in the High Guard sourcebook for this (which also includes a bunch of career paths specific to the Navy, hurr durr, I might restat all the bridge crew to better suit them to their tasks), but I homebrewed it a bit to make it playable. Specifically, armour is way too powerful. I've found that by dividing the final damage amount by the armour score works better than subtracting armour from the attack roll. Also, I didn't have a deck outline planned out, so I turned the individual damages into hits to the hull. Next time, I will do it properly, decks and all, so that the ships are dealing the right amount of damage and taking the right amount of damage.

I wrote that in Word, and I think copy and paste might have also killed the pargraphing.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 02:03:54 pm »

Just so you know, found an error in your math there. When the IC John dropped to 18 Hull, it took two points of secondary damage. Instead of subtracting it, you added it, bringing its hull back up to 20. Its hull would have hit zero a turn earlier than it ended up doing.

This is interesting, so I'm bumping.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 02:32:13 pm »

Whoops. That sort of thing is to be expected when you do the math while rolling, I guess. Won't affect much, though, except another couple of days in the repair dock for the John.

I think I'll write it up in narrative tonight.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 07:38:06 pm »

Expressing interest!  :D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
Pages: [1] 2