Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quick request  (Read 1803 times)

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick request
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:50:17 pm »

Anyone have a reaction I can put into to some building to make a shell without a new world gen?  Third in a row a strage mood has asked for shells.  This time it's either a armor or weapon secretive mood so I'm kinda paranoid that he completes it.

Sorry if this has been asked for before but I tried searching and all that came up was mods with shells, a problem with adding shells to animals and a lot of other irrelevant stuff.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Quick request
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:01:08 pm »

Short answer... No.

Long answer... No and Yes (If you regen).

I have done extensive testing trying to create shells, vermin, creatures, bones, fish and a couple other things and haven't been able to make any.

If you want shells easier, see Deons mod or the large tortoise thread (I don't know if it works). They both are working on making a turtle like creature that you can breed/bring with embark.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »

Well considering that this is the longest fort I've had, 6 years, first time I had more then 60 dwarves, first time I got sieged, I'm not exactly kind to the idea of starting over...  But I'm hoping for the best, got two fisher dwarves fishing in a brook.  Hoping for some turtles....  Hopefully...

Next fort I'll put a shell on a dog's right front first toe or something similarly stupid, if I can find out how.  If not I'll try out those mods.

Edit: Caught a mussel.  Hopefully he only wanted one shell.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:15:29 pm by clc02 »
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:33:28 pm »

If you add the SHELL bodypart to a dog (making sure to edit the save-game raws) and then butcher it, you will be able to have a shell without regenning the world.
Also known as Zuhayr.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:06:12 pm »

I tried that, did not work.  It's listed as a bodypart in the W ounds listing but doesn't drop a shell when butchered.  I only added :SHELL in the body tag (4LEGS:2EYES etc)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:07:51 pm »

Enabling Other Materials to Be Used in Moods

If you don't want to add shells to existing creatures, you can enable other materials, like hooves or ivory to be used in strange moods instead of shells. The only effect is that the materials will be available for moods, you won't be able to eg. make shell crafts of them.

1. In raw/objects/material_template_default.txt look up the material you want to enable, for example [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HOOF_TEMPLATE]
   2. Add the [SHELL] to the material
   3. If you wish to apply this change to a game in progress, remember to also alter the copy of material_template_default.txt contained in your saves folder. The change won't affect body parts that are already lying around, but will affect newly created body parts from butchered creatures.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Shell#ixzz0rRvCbLDN

I added it to all bones, and it works perfectly.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:50:44 pm »

I tried that, did not work.  It's listed as a bodypart in the W ounds listing but doesn't drop a shell when butchered.  I only added :SHELL in the body tag (4LEGS:2EYES etc)

You also have to add the material/tissue to the dog's entry:

Under [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS], you should add [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE]. Then under [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES], you should also add [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE]. Save the file and load your fort again, then butcher a dog. You should have a 'dog shell' as a body part along with all the other parts.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:05:41 pm »

I didn't know creatures could be modded to the extent in the middle of a game. So there people go proving me wrong again.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:59:29 am »

Edit any existing reaction to give turtle vermin creatures as a product. This is possible and works; check out the DF wiki for the exact format (that's where I saw it earlier today).

The products and reagents of reactions can be changed without regenerating a world. Only the [REACTION_NAME] must not be changed, and no new reactions may be added, and none removed, and the order also seems important.

Anything within existing [REACTION_NAME]s that have been around since world gen can usually be changed, however, some changed tags will not do anything.

Make sure you're going into /DF/data/save/region1/raw/objects to edit the raw entries for your existing save; editing the raws out in the DF/raw/objects folder DOES NOT AFFECT EXISTING WORLDS\SAVES.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 01:10:46 pm »

Care to share the working turtle vermin reaction that actually produces a real turtle which includes shell? Cause I've tried a lot of the product lines to try to produce a real turtle, but haven't made a real turtle yet.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »

Have you tried [PRODUCT:100:1:FISH:NONE:TURTLE:MALE]?  I think turtles count as fish in DF.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:22:49 pm »

Pretty sure that's under one of the ones I tried. Guess I could try it again.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »

Why do you want it while there are two perfect solutions above? Unless you specifically want turtle shells.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 05:17:06 pm »

Because I want to be able to make EVERYTHING through reactions... end of story.

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »

Care to share the working turtle vermin reaction that actually produces a real turtle which includes shell? Cause I've tried a lot of the product lines to try to produce a real turtle, but haven't made a real turtle yet.

Have you tried the following, Shaostoul?

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:SYNTH_RAW_FISH]
[NAME:synthesize raw turtle]
[BUILDING:SYNTHESIZER:CUSTOM_SHIFT_Q]
[PRODUCT:100:1:FISH_RAW:NO_SUBTYPE:TURTLE:NONE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]
Pages: [1] 2