Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I hate fathers day.  (Read 3145 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate fathers day.
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 10:50:15 am »

too busy with my own kids

Oden just graduated from the academy of masonry, and we're going to celebrate by renting out the community hall for a party. We're breaking out the good sunshine and Urist is going to make some sugar roasts. Now that the draft is out for winter leave, my wife will be home to look after the younger ones.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 11:13:18 am »

I get along fine with my parents, so I think both days are fine.

Its not that I dont get along with my parents, its just that I think its making people think being a father is something to be celebrated, like some massive achievment. It is one, but I think being a father is a necessity.

I have weird views I know.

Sticking your dick in someone and getting them pregnant is not an impressive achievement.  It's something that millions of living things all over the planet manage to do every day.  It doesn't take a whole lot of time, effort, or consideration.

Being a father, however, is much more than that.  It's waking up in the middle of the night to take care of your kid...  It's pouring tons of time, money, and effort into raising another human being...  It's showing up to their class plays, and recitals, and soccer games, and whatever else...  It's not calling them an idiot when they've done something stupid...  It's taking care of your wife when she's had a hard day, even though you've had a hard day too...

Being a decent father is a fairly impressive achievement.

I think it's maybe a little contrived to have an official holiday.  Get folks presents, cards, cakes.  I've always felt that what's important is what you do when people aren't looking.  Not how you treat/acknowledge you father when it's Father's Day, but how you treat/acknowledge them on a day to day basis.

But, still, things get hectic.  It can be entirely too easy to just take folks for granted.  It's nice to have a reminder now and again to let folks know how much you appreciate them.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 11:34:04 am »

It's taking care of your wife when she's had a hard day, even though you've had a hard day too...
Husband, not father. ;)  And it works both ways.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 12:28:44 pm »

Why hate it, though?

Just... if you're gonna hate something... why not hate poverty or something?
I doubt people choose what to hate to that extent.

Besides, there is little logic behind father's day. You get given a card to commemorate your involvement in your family?

Cards, THOSE are a despicable concept.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 04:28:27 pm »

Its not that I dont get along with my parents, its just that I think its making people think being a father is something to be celebrated, like some massive achievment. It is one, but I think being a father is a necessity.

Sticking your dick in someone and getting them pregnant is not an impressive achievement.  It's something that millions of living things all over the planet manage to do every day.  It doesn't take a whole lot of time, effort, or consideration.

So instead of fathers and mothers day we should call them "Congratulations on having decent aim" day and "Congratulations on being with a man who had decent aim" day respectively.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 04:36:17 pm »

I hate it because it requires me to go to the store. (Lazy, and I hate shopping.)

Also, my step-mom is insane. We got my dad a Wii game, 3 bags of gummy bears, 2 boxes of Pocky, 3 cards (One from me, sister, and from my step-mom.) And a couple other things I can't remember.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 04:42:05 pm »

So instead of fathers and mothers day we should call them "Congratulations on having decent aim" day and "Congratulations on being with a man who had decent aim" day respectively.

I'm not sure you read the rest of that post Jackrabbit :\ It was pro-father's day.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 04:43:25 pm »

Believe me, it was a serious suggestion.

Although no, I didn't read the rest of the post.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 04:46:20 pm »

Gah, my dad died of brain cancer. Now I have to go post in the "Things that made you sad today" thread. Thanks a lot. :(

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 05:17:42 pm »

Gah, my dad died of brain cancer. Now I have to go post in the "Things that made you sad today" thread. Thanks a lot. :(
Well, and this may sound totally cruel (but it's not), at least he's not in a vegetative state with people having to wipe his ass because the cancer ate away at his motor skill functions and left him totally helpless.

I'd rather end it than have to live that life.  Be glad you have fond memories that can make you sad.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 09:44:09 pm »

Father's day is a great idea. Card sellers make a fortune off of something people will bad about if they don't contribute to the system.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 06:05:29 am »

I don't like any of these days, as well as valentine's. They put pressure on you to do something nice, which is the exact opposite of what being nice is. It rewards the people who fake niceness.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 06:17:34 am »

It also rewards people who are genuinely nice.  I went to visit my father and spent the entire day (considerably longer than I had intended).  Getting a card is pretty cheap and it gives us something to laugh at.  We sat, talked, walked down to shoot pistols at the range he made and generally gave him the opportunity to get to know his daughter-in-law and grandson.  Father's day and Mother's day aren't about forcing niceness.  They're about reminding people that family is important.  After all, without family no one would even be a slimy spot on a mattress.
Demon of Darkness

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 06:26:33 am »

Wooooo, way to fucking vivid imagery.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 08:31:57 am »

It's taking care of your wife when she's had a hard day, even though you've had a hard day too...
Husband, not father. ;)

True...  But they kind of go together, in my opinion.  Part of being a good father is modeling good behavior for your children.  And part of being a good father is providing a safe, stable, loving environment for your children - something that I personally feel is best accomplished with two parents.  So, being a good husband is an important part of being a good father.

And it works both ways.

Also true. But we're talking about Father's Day right now, not Mother's Day.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.
Pages: 1 2 [3]