Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF RAW Editor  (Read 1824 times)

Eldalar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF RAW Editor
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:15:32 pm »

So, just finished the last testing and now I want to release it, perhapse someone will find it useful.

It is a Graphical RAW Editor needing Dotnet 2.0+, made for DF2010, although if you want, you can most likely make it work with 40d, or perhapse it even does at the moment, perhapse I will check that later on. At the Moment only the Item Tokens are implented, plus an near unusable version of the Language Tokens (takes forever to load/save and is hard to use), but you can find it under "defines/not in use", if you want to try it.

Feature:
1. Editor
Well, it can load, edit, save etc., the things every editor should be able to do
2. Expandable:
Everyone who cares enough can expand it, without extended knowlege beyond some basic knowledge of XML and well, the DF Tokens. Under defines you can find some (at the moment only one) XML Files, that define the Programms Interface and the parsing of the RAW Data, naturally only within certain borders, but I think enough, so you or I should be able to enhance the Editor to support all the Tokens. That way, as long as the Tokens aren't changed too much, we should be able to make it work for quite some DF Versions.
3. Explanations for Tokens (at least some):
When you go with your mouth over one of the fields, a popup will come with either an explanation for the Token or the information, that there isn't any explanation for this token yet.

What it isn't/hasn't:
It isn't able to edit Graphic's etc at the moment, at least as far as I understand the DF Tokens.
It doesn't explain tokens etc. to you.
The data isn't interlinked, meaning if you need to give one Token the ID of another (Reactions etc.) you till now still need to check if it is correct by Hand.

Usage:
First drop the RAW file you want to edit into the input folder, than start the Programm and select which files you want to load, most often that should be all. Then start editing, I hope it is quite self explanatory. If you want to save go to Data/Save and do so. But it doesn't get saved into the input, but the output and it only saves those, that it can interprete, so when you want to use it, you have to use vanilla RAW Data, cut out the edited files and insert your own, since the Filenames also get changed when it is saved. A bit hard to explain, but you will understand, when you try it and compare the input to the output.
Oh and if you want to edit the output again, just start the Programm, it will give you the option to use the output files instead of the input ones, when you start.

Pictures:

Changelog 0.2:
1. Added a Tooltip System that makes it possible to add Explanations to the token, through XML Files
2. Added a basic Interlink System, making it possible to directly choose the ID of another Token, when it is needed, but not used right now, so might not be perfect
3. Added Explanations to the Item Tokens
4. Added Autocomplete to the fields with predefined Values

Download Current(0.21):
Rapidshare
Megaupload
Download Current(0.2):
Rapidshare
Megaupload
Download 0.1:
Rapidshare
Megaupload

I hope it is useful to someone, works as it should and that I did understand Modding in DF right and didn't just produce garbage.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:12:59 pm by Eldalar »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: DF RAW Editor
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:18:01 pm »

Interesting, this could be pretty useful if expanded a bit more.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 02:15:50 am »

Interesting.  This has potential.

But currently I can't see that it has any functionality beyond what notepad++ can accomplish.  If you added tooltips and/or explanations for the different tokens it would be more useful perhaps.  Autocomplete would also be useful.

Eldalar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 02:46:36 pm »

So, made a new Version, now it has Tooltips with explanations also definable through XMLs and autocomplete, although only where you can only choose out of some predefined Values. (Like LAYER)
The Explanations aren't perfect and are a mixture of Wiki DF2010 as well as 40d, RAW reading and Guessing, so if someone finds flaws, false facts or a better explanation, just post it and I will try to add it in the next version.
Next I will try to implement Creature Tokens and play around with different ways to make the Color viewing more intuitive.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:50:06 pm by Eldalar »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:53:05 pm »

following

warriorofala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:34:00 am »

I got a problem: the program won't run; it displays an error message saying that the "application configuration" is incorrect or something. I suspect it may have something to do with the dotnet installation, but I'm already using the latest one (4.0, I think) straight from Microsoft's site.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:41:12 am »

^ I just got the same problem:

'The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem'

Eldalar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 01:17:13 pm »

Uploaded a new Version (0.21) that might or might not fix this problem, I can't reproduce it on any of my PCs, so I can't tell for sure, but it was what I came up with.

If it doesn't work, perhapse try to install this.

If it still doesn't work, I don't really know much else, beside ... are you two using any Windows in a 64bit Version?

warriorofala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 04:44:00 am »

Alright, that did the trick. I''ll take your editor for a spin and see how it works.

By the way, the .21 upload is missing the "helps" folder and some other things; I just copied the missing stuff over from .20 so it would work.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:46:49 am by warriorofala »

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 05:22:29 am »

For some reason, the editor crashes when I hover over a field for a tooltip. Running it as an admin and in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 hasn't fixed the problem, nor has downloading the Visual C++ pack and installing it in XP SP3/admin mode. If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Eldalar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:07:54 am »

Hmm ... a funny error, so only when you are hovering over an Field so the tooltip comes up and nowhere else.
I looked into the code for that action and couldn't really find anything, that isn't used at some point before or at least on another point of the programm.

The only thing I can at the moment think of, would be to try and install this it is the 64 bit Version of the VC++ Redistributional.

I will try to find something other, that might be the cause of the problem and crash it only on this specific part ... hmm, is there some kind of failure message or does he just crash (or crash with a nondescriptive "An error occured")?

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 01:03:59 pm »

2.1 fixed my problem of it not working too. Can we be looking forward to it working with creatures and buildings etc. as well? (hint hint)  :P

Eldalar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 01:15:11 pm »

I am at the moment looking into Creatures, but I came across some problems with some aspects, like multiple Attacks with the subtokens ATTACK_PRIORITY etc. I already have a the general idea how it will(might[hopefully]) work.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:35:53 pm »

Trying to install the 64-bit version tells me that is already part of the OS. There's no error message per se, just a "DF Raw Editor has stopped working and will now close" message.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 11:56:20 am »

is this going to be open source? because I think I *may* be able to help with autocomplete.