Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Create an Alarm for all Military Dwarves  (Read 601 times)

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Create an Alarm for all Military Dwarves
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

Maybe the metalsmith could craft a giant Iron (or other metal) bell hooked to a lever that a panicked citizen could pull when the fortress was under attack.

This alarm bell would immediately preempt everything that every military designated dwarf was doing at the time whether it's eating, drinking, sleeping, partying. Who knows.

But it would send all the squads ready for action against the enemy. Instead of the current system of frantically designating positions for squads to take to fight off enemies and hoping they will wake up from their naps or parties and hoping enough of them get there to fight off the enemy, instead of being left in the maddening position of half the armed forces sleeping peacefully in the barracks or drinking or partying while the civilian population is massacred.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create an Alarm for all Military Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

Certainly a useful suggestion that suffers greatly from the 'Suggested Every Week / Month' syndrome.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Certainly a useful suggestion that suffers greatly from the 'Suggested Every Week / Month' syndrome.</STRONG>

I'm a new player so I don't really know how "unique" this idea is or if I'm contributing to some sort of forums plague. Maybe one more ballot in the box can help it go through.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

I should note to the topic creator that there is something similar to an Alarm

It is called a Chained Wardog... Chain it to all entrances for Ambushes, Kobolds, and Baby Snatchers

Other then that... what we would need is a "Put all squads on Duty" button

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

Yeah, this was suggested earlier this week, and has been suggested about once a month since August 2006.   It's a swell idea, but it's certainly not a priority.

And as it stands, chained wardogs work just fine and make perfect sense.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 06:53:00 am »

quote:
And as it stands, chained wardogs work just fine and make perfect sense.

But a chained war dog doesn't stop the military from eating while the civilians are being ruthlessly slaughtered.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 11:44:00 am »

Yeah, we don't need an alarm to alert the player.

What we need is a way of stopping dwarfs from eating, sleeping, drinking and going on break in the middle of a battle. It isn't "realistic2 for the army to do that, and it is very frustrating when it happens.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

"But a chained war dog doesn't stop the military from eating while the civilians are being ruthlessly slaughtered"

What is needed for this... is to have their "Bring Water and Food" to be fixed (I think it is broken). Those off duty will already have extra food and water already and can just eat/drink and go on the spot.

They should refill it when they are off duty (or when they go back for food and drink on duty) then only use it when they are on duty.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Edit Addition: I think I remember the current problem... Whenever they would eat their rations... they would have to go refill it.

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]