Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Absolute Power and Honesty  (Read 2805 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Absolute Power and Honesty
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:15:04 pm »

I recently got into a conversation about what it would be like to be Kim-Jong-Il. Most of the people I talked to agreed that knowing in the back of your mind that no one will ever speak honestly to you about anything would make it horrible. So I ask of you, Bay 12: Would you accept absolute power with the knowlage that everyone will fear you too much to ever speak truthfuly to you again?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Absolute Power and Honesty
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:16:07 pm »

Hell yes.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:27:14 pm »

Yes. Then I make them fear me.
Hehehe.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »

I would, but I'd be a benevolent dictator.
Except for maybe a gladiator arena for people on death row.
You win 3 fights, you win your freedom.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:36:16 pm »

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
If  I was given absolute power, I'd immediately limit it, depending on the situation, either with a time limit or with checks and balances.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 09:40:50 pm »

Flawless justice system.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 09:42:01 pm »

So only the most dangerous, competent murderers would be released?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:45:16 pm »

I recently got into a conversation about what it would be like to be Kim-Jong-Il. Most of the people I talked to agreed that knowing in the back of your mind that no one will ever speak honestly to you about anything would make it horrible. So I ask of you, Bay 12: Would you accept absolute power with the knowlage that everyone will fear you too much to ever speak truthfuly to you again?

Its precedent really, if you are prone to make stupid demands or fly into a rage when you hear things you don't want to hear...  people will be less likely to tell the truth to you.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:45:54 pm »

In a heartbeat. I mean, it isn't like people are reliably honest to begin with...

P.S.
 Then the most dangerous murderers kill someone, go back on death row for another three fights, and on and on until they get old and slow. If you didn't have returning competitors who would you cheer for?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 09:50:15 pm »

Flawless justice system.
You mean, Flawless Victory!!! These gladiator battles must be known as Mortal Kombat.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »

Perhaps I should add some limiters. No matter how benevolent your rule is, people will still fear you out of the knowlage that you could stab them to death in public, and would not be charged with a crime at all. No matter what actions you take, your sheer power will lead people to form a doublethink mindset. Still want your precious power?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 09:57:02 pm »

YES PLEASE.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »

Would you accept absolute power with the knowlage that everyone will fear you too much to ever speak truthfuly to you again?
I'm used to the last part.

As for absolute power? I think I'd be the laziest dictator to ever exist. Plus, who wants absolute power if everyone wants to usurp it from you forcefully and backhandedly? Look, if I'm going to be executed, let's do it with dignity, and duel. Okay? I much rather face my opposers directly and in full public, than cowardly and behind the scenes.

I die, I die; you die, well at least you have the honor to be respected for having enough balls to face me directly. Back away after public arrangement has been made; not my fault. I just called your bluff. BTW, if you're being mocked and trolled for your cowardice, like I said, I just called your bluff.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:17:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 10:11:09 pm »

I'm just not that into absolute power.

I think it would make me unhappy, with the dishonesty only being one of several reasons why.

So no.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 10:26:22 pm »

Absolutely. I don't give a damn if people lie to me or whatever, with absolute power their lies don't matter. I daresay, they don't matter. If I could have anything I wanted, I don't think it'd be possible to be unhappy. I don't think it'd be 'horrible', rather, I think it'd be 'heaven'.

Absolute power, absolute control. Everything would be within your grasp.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4