Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training skills?  (Read 2698 times)

Vynergy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training skills?
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »

I'm just asking how, since a human child wrestled me to death (I was trying to get stats up, wasn't able to hit him). Please help.  :'(

(Just to clarify, I'm asking how people do it quickly)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:21:16 pm by Vynergy »
"I can only think of one game that allows me to genocide anything through needlessly advanced death-traps for great profit.

That game is Dwarf Fortress."

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training skills?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:23:07 pm »

Put points into 1 weapon. Weaken grizzly bears w/ that weapon. Wrestle the unconscious grizzly.
Works really well for me, since I always play a dorf.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:07:21 am »

Pick up and throw >9000 sandy clay's or silt loams at the tile you're standing on. Super(race)enly tough/strong/maybe agile in maybe 30 minutes, probably less. It works in 40d, I haven't tried in 2010 versions.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:41:16 pm »

a dangerous, but definately the best way to train allll skills

go from town to town lookin for quests

get a quest with a bronze colossus, play around with the bronze colossus, you'll get legendary (place skill here) in no time flat

my other guy was legendary axeman,hammeran,swords,men,werestler because i attacked the clossus a couple times, though i got greedy and tried to kill it, it ripped a piece of my hip of threw it at me, then threw me
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:04:29 pm »

a dangerous, but definately the best way to train allll skills

go from town to town lookin for quests

get a quest with a bronze colossus, play around with the bronze colossus, you'll get legendary (place skill here) in no time flat

my other guy was legendary axeman,hammeran,swords,men,werestler because i attacked the clossus a couple times, though i got greedy and tried to kill it, it ripped a piece of my hip of threw it at me, then threw me
Didn't work for me. I got zero exp, and I had gotten the BC all to red.

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:57:31 am »

Fun fact: Attacking prone targets will NOT grant weapon xp.

You can hover gain xp from wrestling/shooting/throwing fluffy warmblers at prone targets, so go nuts!

Here's a tip for training shield user. walk up next to any animal (or wait to be ambushed). Lie down. Profit.  ;D
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 07:28:41 pm »

Here's a tip for training shield user. walk up next to any animal (or wait to be ambushed). Lie down. Profit.  ;D

Don't try it with any animal bigger than you, though.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:50:16 am »

Be hard core. Get into snow fights with skeletal wolves without training throwing. Somehow kill them all.

In other words, snow seems to be bugged, or something. Instead of being a nice cushy snowball, it acts as some sort of demonic ice rock with sharp areas the size of Manhattan.

Also, wrestling skeletal bears works well. (Make sure you've knocked them out first. Otherwise it ends badly.)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 02:08:17 am »

I'm just asking how, since a human child wrestled me to death (I was trying to get stats up, wasn't able to hit him). Please help.  :'(

(Just to clarify, I'm asking how people do it quickly)

Spoiler: "for 31:10 and up" (click to show/hide)

if you want the work out with none of the risk of getting mauled.
here you go. (might got some of the skills name wrong so sorry in advance)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 10:49:08 am »

Fun fact: Attacking prone targets will NOT grant weapon xp.

You can hover gain xp from wrestling/shooting/throwing fluffy warmblers at prone targets, so go nuts!

In layman terms: If your target is on the ground or unconscious, you won't get exp from attacking it aside from the said throwing and wrestling. Maybe kicking a man when his down is frowned upon by the EXP Gods (yet recommended for tough customers).

And bigger target who charge a lot will often knock you down if you have low evasive capabilities, so your shield is your best bet of getting back up unharmed (Unless your enemy gets smart and starts grabbing body parts to break or actually steals your stuff...you won't believe how many times someone's shield has been grabbed, his own axe used against him, or even gets knocked out by his own pants).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 10:52:38 am »

If you think about it, the current EXP system isn't based on skill. It's based on either how willing you are to grind, or how large your balls are.

You want to level up with minimal risk? Go fight wolves.

You want quick gains with a chance of getting your skull instantly crushed? Elephants.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:10:53 am »

Wrestle Hydras, It's very, very effective.

All you have to do is disable it (spear-through-leg technique is quite effective) and start trying to pull its teeth out. This is a futile exercise, in my experience, but it trained my wrestling skill to unimaginable heights, as seen above.