Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Sterotypes (Not the kind you're thinking of.)  (Read 6429 times)

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
Re: Sterotypes (Not the kind you're thinking of.)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 09:37:14 pm »

Internet High five Org.

Lets see. When I went to New York I was with a bunch of other SEerners I wore a backpack that looked like a raccoon. I though I got looks for wearing it at  home...

I can't help but think of Florida as the old person state. Probably because the only reason I go down there is to visit old people... although I've been camping there too. Fort Pickins is neat.
It's not really considered a southern state though because everyone from goes down there to retire because it's warm... although the humidity would make me want to drown myself (in the air, no less).
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 09:40:18 pm »

North Carolina's less southern than most southern states. I believe it has something to do with the concentration of universities and things like the research triangle (and the immigration they cause: at least half the people in this area aren't southerners). Of course, these are more or less only islands of civilization in a sea of rural hickdom (ten miles north or east from where I am right now, and you're in the middle of bumfuck nowhere... west and south take you closer to the capitol).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 09:42:38 pm »

What is this?
D:

Internets.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:07:23 pm by Org »

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 09:43:53 pm »

North Carolina's less southern than most southern states. I believe it has something to do with the concentration of universities and things like the research triangle (and the immigration they cause: at least half the people in this area aren't southerners). Of course, these are more or less only islands of civilization in a sea of rural hickdom (ten miles north or east from where I am right now, and you're in the middle of bumfuck nowhere... west and south take you closer to the capitol).

I think you're right. I'm in Charlotte but in an hour or two I could be out in some farmer's field.

Org - I've met the stereotypical Georgian as well as the opposite. My grandfather owns an insurance business and is civilized and wealthy, enjoying trips to Europe and golfing, and then my cousins and their friends around the cul-de-sac could easily be put in the redneck, beer-drinking, truck-driving, tobacco smokin-and-chewin' group of people that everyone in non-Atlanta Georgia seems to have been marked off as.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:48:23 pm by Helmaroc »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 09:44:32 pm »

I guess that seems about right. Almost everyone I know personally is a southern or modern Christian, though I live at about the edge of Charlotte, which is pretty big and seems to 'have room' for various religions.

See, that puts us on opposite sides of the state. I live in Raleigh, and most of the people here are Christians of some type. I only know of one Atheist besides myself, and there is a unexpectedly large amout of Muslims. I still haven't worked out the reason behind that last one.

Also, the rural areas seem very hickish. I went to Hiddenite for a historical trip once, and the locals were mostly toothless and less than well washed. Rotting, chipped teeth abound. They were nice enough, but they're probibly used to outsiders, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »

See, that puts us on opposite sides of the state. I live in Raleigh, and most of the people here are Christians of some type. I only know of one Atheist besides myself, and there is a unexpectedly large amout of Muslims. I still haven't worked out the reason behind that last one.

I'm not sure either.
I attended public school for a while as a kid in downtown Charlotte, and the traditional school I went to had quite a few Muslim children, and right across the street was a Mosque.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 09:53:54 pm »

From what I hear Tennessee is supposed to be the worst. That may just be the football rivalry talking, though...

There's a cult around here (not that one ><) that's based off of some woman having a vision of Mary. So now there's a bunch of people living in trailers. There was a bit of a controversy where they were all "we don't have to pay taxes" and the government was all *awesome face*.
That's what I get from it, it was a bit before my time. Right now there's the whole bingo thing...
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 09:56:39 pm »

From what I hear Tennessee is supposed to be the worst. That may just be the football rivalry talking, though...

There's a cult around here (not that one ><) that's based off of some woman having a vision of Mary. So now there's a bunch of people living in trailers. There was a bit of a controversy where they were all "we don't have to pay taxes" and the government was all *awesome face*.
That's what I get from it, it was a bit before my time. Right now there's the whole bingo thing...
I never really think that when thinking of Tennessee.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 10:35:04 pm »

Kentucky.

Everyone thinks Kentuckians are white, gun-crazy, dirt poor, beats their wife, and drinks Budweiser.

In reality we drink bourbon.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 11:46:20 pm »

Everyone thinks Kentuckians are white, gun-crazy, dirt poor, beats their wife, and drinks Budweiser.

Eastern Kentucky gives the rest of the state a bad reputation.  :P

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 11:49:26 pm »

Besides the obvious canadian stereotypes (cold, hockey, beer, maplesyrup, lumberjacks, politeness...am I forgetting anything?), the only one I've ever heard about west coast Canada specifically is that we're all tree-hugging, granola-munching communists. I'm weighting in on the "sometimes stereotypes are true" side. My town is where the electric kool-aid hippie crowd goes to die. You have never seen so many stoned seniors, it's crazy.

Maybe we should discuss the stereotype that people in South Carolina close their eyes and blindly mark on the ballot when they go to vote?

No, they vote alphabetically. His name was first. And also he is totally awesome.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 11:50:43 pm »

Canadia, eh?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 12:12:37 am »

I have no idea why, but "Canadia" made me burst in a fit of giggles.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 12:17:21 am »

I saw Canada misspelled as Canaydia once.
That extra y makes all the difference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10