Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Sterotypes (Not the kind you're thinking of.)  (Read 6419 times)

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
Sterotypes (Not the kind you're thinking of.)
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:38:09 pm »

Not the racial ones. I'm sure there's another thread for those somewhere else.

I guess I'll start with an example of what I mean. I live in the southeastern US. It seems that most everyone from other parts of the country
are convinced that everyone who lives around here is a hick that wears overalls and sits on the from porch playing banjos. I can't speak for Mississippi (I've never been), but everyone who I know from around here are friendly, and I've met quite a few less people than I would have thought with thick accents. And even though our school is getting a bass fishing team next year (and my mom wants me to join it... bleah.) there are all these conflicting religions, but there's not really any real fighting or religious segregation or the like.

Another example, at band camp this week I roomed with a girl from Texas who was convinced everyone would think she was a cowboy.

So...stereotypes from your state or province or what have you. Tell me them and discuss.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sterotypes (Not the kind you're thinking of.)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:41:10 pm »

Yeah, regional stereotypes are pretty much racial stereotypes in another form.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:44:12 pm »

That Canada is a cold, barren wasteland.

Its only true 6 months a year.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:48:36 pm »

In the other six months, it's just a barren wasteland.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:50:50 pm »

Stereotypically, Ohio is a boring, forgettable state whose only claims to fame are rollercoasters, astronauts, and the tragically bereaved Giant Butter Jesus; and whose chief export is crystal meth.

As an Ohioan, I can confidently say that it's 100% true.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 08:53:14 pm »

In the other six months, it's just a barren wasteland.
No, it's a hot barren wasteland.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 09:00:09 pm »

The OP's examples are pretty funny
I live in Illinois and my dad plays the banjo (sometimes on the porch) and almost every sunday my family goes bass fishing at our cabin
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:00:32 pm »

I'm from North Carolina and I honestly don't know what the stereotype for Carolinians is, can someone enlighten me? I have cousins in Georgia who consider me a 'city kid'.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »

You probably have religious segregation, even between different denominations of Christianity, but you don't notice it because it's a deeply rooted situation. Also, one of the things that shaped North America.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 09:05:50 pm »

Because I live in Washington, I must be used to rain. Also, everyone who lives in Washington is within easy driving distance of Seattle.

In actuality, Seattle is hundreds of miles away and we get rain once or twice for every two weeks.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 09:08:43 pm »

Something interesting my History teacher brought up, Forest Gump is apparently what most people think of when they think of this region. He was supposed to be slow...

Not that things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8
help it out at all.

Also: Really Randall? I didn't think there was any other area that had porches...

North Carolina is... pretty much grouped up with the rest of us (Perhaps your cousins live in a really rural area?)

Most of the people here are Baptists, and there is the occasional "fight" between them and the few Catholics in the area. Yet somehow Mormons, Muslims, and all the other folks seem to just..." hang out"
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 09:12:16 pm »

I can't really say about North Carolina. Religious segregation seems likely, but I have receved no death threats for being an atheist yet. North Carolina recently became a blue state, so people's perceptions seem scrambled about it now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 09:23:16 pm »

New York, being where I come from, is oft referred to as a cold and heartless place. Truth of the matter is, we tend to get over things a little quicker than most others, and give less of a crap. And regarding anyone from Brooklyn, well not all of them are a bunch of hoodlums; then again, I guess Irish-blooded NY'ers aren't commonly thought of when you first hear of Brooklyn. Mind you, a decent portion of my relatives have been there before the city became The City.

Now, as for good ol' Florida; sure it's a vacationer's paradise of sorts, but despite how nice things are, maintaining the paradise is a chore; especially when burdened with tourists who trash much of the place up like it's an old friend's place. Sure, tourism is one of our primary means of income, but when service and locals start getting a little irritable and less welcoming, get the hint, someones' crapping up the neighborhood, and we're getting tired of wiping your ass with a smile.

As for regarding towns in FL as well, not all towns or even small cities are "Little-Miami"; meaning, we're actually nice laid back communities most the time. Hell, we're the kind of places that won't get hit by a disaster or horror movie of some sort (Hurricanes are a decent enough substitute). If you intend to take advantage of this trope, treat the town with a little respect. Follow the traffic laws for once, and clean up after yourselves. I don't like mistaking a plastic bag for a jellyfish, and neither does the local wildlife. Let's not forget, real estate has done a massive number on what used to be such a pretty town. Now what once was a lush field of palm trees and vegetation is a colossal condo settlement (all owned by a single person/company) which is placed right next to, you guessed it, a condo settlement that was there first. And I see this every gorram day I head into/out of town or heading into work, and it angers me everytime I see that grey zone. Let's not forget a bunch of houses popping up all over the place which lack appeal (who the hell does all the designing? I mean, what used to be my back yard is a freaking monolith; albeit, it serves as a decent shield for future torrential hurricanes), and owners that can afford to live in or even rent them.

I feel that others that have been in this situation can sympathize.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and although the local home value has risen from the additional housing and all, so does the cost of living in my house. And even though I live here, it ain't cheap for me either to stick around. Such a dick move. Especially from those who have no intention to live here, or even rent a place out. Fucking contractors.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:32:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 09:25:51 pm »

Meh, hamburgers are good.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:08:07 pm by Org »

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »

I guess that seems about right. Almost everyone I know personally is a southern or modern Christian, though I live at about the edge of Charlotte, which is pretty big and seems to 'have room' for various religions.

I've always thought that my state is pretty neutral on the north-south stereotype scale, leaning toward the south. And myself in particular even more centered, with my father from Pennsylvania and my mom from Georgia, I think they negated whatever stereotypes could befall me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10